Anyone Want to Be Netflix Friends?

I just discovered the Netflix Friend List system and was curious if some other Dopers might be interested in being each others’ friends so that we could get ideas for films we wouldn’t have thought to watch or otherwise overlooked. Obviously, a similar taste in movies would be the most useful, so I made a list of all my 4 and 5 star movies in case someone is interested but wants to know if my opinion matters.

Five Star
[ol][li]American History X (1998)[/li][li]Braveheart (1995)[/li][li]Death to Smoochy (2002)[/li][li]Fargo (1996)[/li][li]Fight Club (1999)[/li][li]Garden State (2004)[/li][li]The Last Samurai (2003)[/li][li]Schindler’s List (1993)[/li][li]Sling Blade (1996)[/li][li]Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)[/li][li]Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)[/ol][/li]Four Star
[ol][li]12 Monkeys (1995)[/li][li]25th Hour (2002)[/li][li]American Beauty (1999)[/li][li]Big Fish (2003)[/li][li]Blow (2001)[/li][li]Catch Me If You Can (2002)[/li][li]Chasing Amy (1997)[/li][li]Clerks (1994)[/li][li]Collateral (2004)[/li][li]Coyote Ugly (2000)[/li][li]Election (1999)[/li][li]Forrest Gump (1994)[/li][li]Galaxy Quest (1999)[/li][li]Ghost (1990)[/li][li]The Green Mile (1999)[/li][li]Groundhog Day (1993)[/li][li]Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (2001)[/li][li]Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)[/li][li]Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)[/li][li]Love Actually (2003)[/li][li]Mystic River (2003)[/li][li]Ocean’s Eleven (2001)[/li][li]The Princess Bride (1987)[/li][li]Saved! (2004)[/li][li]Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)[/li][li]Star Trek: First Contact (1996)[/li][li]The Terminal (2004)[/li][li]Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)[/li][li]Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003)[/li][li]Trekkies (1999)[/li][li]The Wedding Singer (1998)[/li][li]What About Bob? (1991)[/li][li]What’s Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)[/li][li]X2: X-Men United (2003)[/ol][/li]If you’re interested, click on link and fill in the email address field. My addy’s aesiron at yahoo dot com.

Anyone else is free to add their own listings if interested and looking for friends too, of course.

Huh. After further reading, it looks like this is a beta test of sorts and, I think, available by invite only so that link only works for people that’re already testers.

If you want to try it, email me and I’ll send an invite.

I’ve got Netflix and already have a few friends. The list of your favorite movies looks pretty good to me. I’m going to grab your email from your profile and send you the message.

Sweet, dude, sign me up. The email that I use for Netflix (and nothing else) is SCassidine@aol.com

I don’t get as many movies as you, but I’d like to give it a try. I’ll email you. Plus, I signed up for Netflix after reading about it in your broken leg thread.

How is your leg doing anyway?

What is this “friends” dealy and what are the advantages of having it?

Apparently I’ve rated 91 movies at five stars. I must be an easy sell. :slight_smile:

Right now, due to no active credit cards, we don’t have Netflix. But even if we did, Aesiron, I don’t know if I could be your Netflix friend because you only had The Princess Bride on your four star list! :smiley:

Seriously, a lot of what you liked, I liked, too. I’m hoping to get back into Netflix in a couple of months, and will keep this in mind.

It’s pretty good although still borked. I’ve got an appointment at the doctor’s office at 2:15 today (it’s 10:00 right now) and he should be able to tell me something more in-depth and hopefully allow me to start physical therapy which I’ve not been able to do yet without clearance. I’ll also finally be able to get some lost wages when he signs that damned release I’ve been waiting on for a month now.

I’ve not recieved an email yet, by the way. I’ll send an invite as soon as I do though.

Uh, well, I’ve only had it for less than a day myself so I’ve not worked it all out yet but it’s just another way to see what people you know thought of movies which might help you get an idea as to whether to watch it or not. I’ve got about six friends on my list right now and have already added a few movies from my maybe list to my queue based on their opinions. Plus, you can send actual reccomendations too. I’m thinking of doing that for Garden State but don’t want to be obnoxious.

And looking at other people’s favorites, it looks like I am a hard sell instead of you being easy. I have 45/485 favorites compared to 19/30, 70/94, 238/438, 288/549, 233/1010, and 464/1749. Even the next most pessimistic person ranks 2.5 more favorites than I do.

I never realized I had such discerning tastes. :wink:

Inconceivable, I know, but I’ve only seen it 1.25 times at that, even. Once in eighth grade about nine years ago and only a handful of scenes again a couple months ago while I was at work and channel surfing.

I use netflix primarily for anime. I am always up for it if somebody has similar interests though.

One of the people on my list is a hardcore anime fan. I’ll tell her to see if she’s interested.

I’m the person aesiron referenced, and I primarily use netflix for anime, too (though “real” movies do slip in :)). I’d be happy to friend you :slight_smile: lessee if I can figure out how this friending thing works…

Thanks for recommending Garden State - I wasn’t aware it was out yet, and I was sorely disappointed to miss it in the theatres.
Am I the 19/30? Man, we need to watch more movies!

How do I see the list of what I’ve rated? Haven’t figured that part out yet…

Nevermind - figured it out.

Looks like I’m a bit of a pushover, too. I rate movies v. highly. :smack:

I wish Netflix would give you more choices in ranking movies, actually. There are lots of movies I want to rank 2.5 or 3.5 but cant so I have to settle on 3 alone. A minor point but still annoying. And you’re welcome for the recommendation. My mom pre-ordered it for me on Amazon.com and I’ve been antsy to get it since yesterday when it was finally released. Want want want want want want want.

Do you like foreign lanugage films? If so, get “Maria Full of Grace”. It seems to fit with what you like but it’s in Spanish and subtitled. Some people don’t like that.

I do like foreign language films. As long as my glasses are nice & clean I’m just fine with subtitles.

I think I’ll add Maria Full of Grace.

Nice choices Gr8Kat! I notice you like MST3K as well as having a pretty interesting choice of anime! I have to say I like it that most of it is stuff I have not seen yet.

I love Asian films, martial arts stuff if that counts :slight_smile: Just watched Gojoe: The Spirit War Chronicles, it was interesting to say the least. Before I joined netflix I always looked for the obscure Asian films to come out before I even looked at the Blockbuster hits. :smiley:

I think I need to go back and review my 4 & 5 star movies. I might have been running a little fast and loose with these stars here.

I like having this feature, to know what movies my friends really like, but what would be ideal is having access to what’s in my friends’ queues. I want to know what they’ve got coming.

Same here. What would be ideal is a small list of the movies your friends loved, hated, and the top ten or twenty movies in their queue.

Maybe if we suggest it, they’ll implement it? It’s still a beta, after all.

RE seeing your friends’ queues: I love that idea.

I’m always rethinking my star ratings. I swear how I feel about a movie changes day from day. I’ve looked back and thought, “3 stars? I like that movie better than that, don’t I? What was I thinking?” and “5 stars? I liked it, but sheesh, it wasn’t perfect. What was I thinking??” And so forth.

And I hate rating TV series; they vary so much not just from season to season but episode to episode sometimes… it’s too hard!!! Now that other people are seeing my ratings, I’m starting to get freaked out. Thanks for the stress, aes!

It looks like we’ve got similar taste in anime and comedy (I’ve never seen Red Dwarf but I’ve got it in my queue). I like Asian films, too, but I admit I prefer either historical dramas or slice-of-life dramas. But I do have some Kurosawa in my queue, too, since I feel like a cultural naif having never seen one of his films before.

I agree with aesiron that it’d be cool if we could see what is in each other’s queue, or what each currently has out. We probably should let Netflix know that :smiley: