Anyone want to help RushGeekKid celebrate his 18th birthday?

First and foremost I am not asking for money.

My son, a 2004 doperbaby, will be celebrating his 18th birthday December 26th. I know I don’t post a whole lot but a lot of what I’ve posted has been about him over the years. He’s such a good kid but he’s had some major struggles in his life. He’s trans and autistic and has PTSD from a horrific violent attack when he was six and it was complicated a couple years back when he was sexually assaulted at school, then the boy who did it took his own life and my son blames himself. He hallucinates. He sees him. He hears his voice. Life has been so hard for him. He’s been housebound since last year, can’t go to school, fears being in public because he almost lost me to covid and he’s been diagnosed with long covid. He’s afraid to go out anywhere crowded. He’s too weak to walk too far anyway, but he’s also so isolated and all his friends have faded away.

So I thought maybe something like this might cheer him up. He’s so sad. I wish I could make some magic to help him. He’s on heavy meds and gets as much therapy as our state insurance allows, but none of this makes him HAPPY. He rarely smiles and that breaks my heart.

I don’t want money, I was just thinking maybe things you might have and don’t need. He loves cooking and baking. He’s crazy about ties. Doesn’t need to be new, in fact his favorite activity pre-covid was bargain shopping at Goodwill. He loves art, both making and learning about it. I think he’s pretty talented too. He likes funny things. Even a funny card might lift his spirits a bit. He collects pins. He loves anything rainbow or trans (pink/white/blue) colors. He’s in to drag, has been dreaming of being a drag queen for a while and loves the fashion and makeup.

I don’t know if this sort of thing is still allowed here and if this needs to be taken down I totally get it. It was just an idea I had and I ran it past my daughter BloodyL and she thought it was a nice thing to do too, but I don’t to give the wrong impression here. I’ve been around the Dope a long time but this is a weird and kind of big ask, something I ordinarily would never do. And I know it’s a tough time with the holidays going on too. It doesn’t even have to be ON his birthday, of course. It’s only four weeks away.

Anyway I feel silly and pitiful asking, but I’m going to do it anyway because I think if any place is the right place for me to ask, this is that place.

I think it’s a wonderful idea and I’d be happy to help. PM me and we can work on details.

I am so in. PM me.

If you PM me an address I could definitely throw together a box of stuff. A list of likes and dislikes would be helpful.

Sign me up! I want to spread some love!

ETA: there are a LOT of drag queens on Cameo.com. If someone is at a loss for a gift, a personal message from some of them would probably be a great gift!

Shoot me a pm as well, I’d love to help out if I can.

PM me an address and I am sure I can think of something quirky to send!

Yes, me too.

What pronouns should we use?I am assuming he and him beCause that is what you used but I like to be sure.

He is a he! :slight_smile: His name is Phoenix.

Thanks to everyone so far. This is so great. I was so worried people would be thinking I was looking for money or a handout. I just thought this would be fun for him, because this kid needs a little fun in his life.

How do you feel about gently used cookbooks? I have a few that I could pass along. What kind of food does he like, and what is he interested in learning more about?

In! pm me, thank you.

He loves baking and decorating cakes and cookies and I think he’s really good at it!

I can’t afford to send stuff this year, but I could at least send him a card.

Phoenix is really blessed because he has a GREAT mom!

Send me a PM, I want to add to his birthday wishes!

~VOW

Thank you all so much! I have tried to send PMs to everyone who said they were interested but if I missed you let me know. The format on this board is weird and I can’t tell if I replied here or in PMs.

If he likes ties, I can set him up! PM me your address.

You missed me.

Would bright, glittery nail polish be enjoyed? Blingy stick on nails?

I’d be happy to send a card. I have just the right one, too. :slight_smile: Could you please P.M. me the address?

(Pssssh, silly girl. Thinkin’ Dopers wouldn’t rally 'round to help.)

I found a bunch of good cookbooks at the library book sale, so I’m thinking about sending some now and some later. If anyone wants to do a gift card so he can buy ingredients, what would work best for you?