Anyone watch Countdown with Keith Olbermann last night?

I didn’t know where else to put this-it’s not a debate, per se, and it’s not really Cafe Society material. So I figured MPSIMS would be best.

In the past few months, I’ve started watching Keith Olbermann every night on MSNBC. For starters, the guy is just hysterical-so deliciously snarky. His comments on the Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes story had me in stitches, and I loved his cracks at Scientology. I also find him rather sexy, much to my embarassment. Sure, he seems like he might be an ass, but at least he’s an entertaining one.

Last night was different, though. It wasn’t funny, or snarky, or irreverant. It was blunt, harsh, and to the point.

Olbermann was reporting from ground zero last night, live, in front of the empty spot where the towers once stood. What he had to say:

To read the speech in its entirety, Bloggerman.

I saw the video this morning. Powerful stuff.

You can watch the video from the MSNBC web site, or download the 10 MB file from the Crook and Liars web site wmv format or quicktime format here.

And I urge those who haven’t seen it to go and do so. It’s about bloody time somebody had the balls to say these things.

At 25, I have to say that was the most amazing commentary I’ve seen in my lifetime.

That was one of many rants he has had. He is speaking out very clearly to this administration.

Here’s another one I thought was excellent. It’s in response to Donald Rumsfeld’s speech to the American Legion. No minced words here.

GT

He’s come a long way from the days of “it’s deep and I don’t think it’s playable” on “The Big Show” with Dan Patrick.

I saw this last night and sat there cheering Keith Olbermann on as he spoke. He’s had some fantastic commentaries lately. I’ve already e-mailed the transcipt links to a few people.

I remember KO from when he was a local sports guy here in LA. I love the first 20 minutes of his current program, his hard news. But my wife thinks he’s too snarky.

I usually lose interest though when he starts doing celebrity news or cat-juggling monkeys.

I mean, I know he’s gotta lighten the average gravitas of the program by throwing in stuff his staff found on Fark.com, but it’s not for me.

As for his “Special Comments” – they’re legends in the making. I am 100% behind every opinion he has expressed so far, and if I have any reservations about them, there are only two: 1) that he often doesn’t go all the way to pointing out the real “elephants in the room,” and 2) that he uses the adjective “special” to describe them.

Go Keith!

i have been watching mr olbermann for quite some time now. i enjoy his way with the news. i even enjoy the odd news and his “hall of fame.” i feel a kinship with him while watching young japanese girls wear porkchops on their heads, stalked by a large lizard. poor girls, poor lizard.

thankfully, he is pointing out that there are no clothes and someone is running around naked. and we better get a good look at the reciept.

he is fantastic when he defends the constitution. i sure wish someone who was elected to do it, would.

once again, thankfully, those who wrote the constitution, wrote in the bit about a free press.

His book “The Worst Person in the World” is out now. I’m on the library’s waiting list.

I think it’s sad that so many are too afraid of being branded “liberal” and “appeasing the terrorists” to speak up.

bughunter, Keith can NEVER be “too snarky”.

I too have been watching Keith for about 8 months or so now, and I have to say I truly enjoy it. Prior to his news program I never really found one that I liked. I know that news should just be a person telling me what happened, but getting news without some sort of spin will never happen. Keith seems to put the news in perspective that I agree with. First he took on the talking head on Faux news, and now it’s the government. I love it all.

Oh, and the worst person in the world is a great bit.

I’ve been an Olbermann fan from the beginning of “Countdown.” We don’t watch network news any more, we watch Keith instead. In fact, around our house, we’re on a first-name basis with him (though he probably doesn’t know it.)

From a journalist-scholar standpoint, Olberman is probably the way of the future for television news. Every time I see new figures on network news shows, the numbers are worse and worse for the Big Three. Clearly, America is looking for something that it’s not getting, and isn’t going to get from Katie Couric (nice try, guys, but a prettier face doesn’t hide the fact that you’re not doing the job.)

Keith is gettin’ the job done, and people are responding. His numbers get better every quarter.