Apple butter is delicious.
**Apple bread recipe
A special treat, this apple bread recipe is perfect!
3 cups diced apples
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts
6 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons cinnamon
Grease and flour 2 loaf pans and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla well. Then add all remiaining ingredients and blend well. Pour the batter into the loaf pans, then sprinke the topping on (before baking!!!). Place the loaf pans in the oven and bake for 60 to 70 minutes. **
Apple butter is good, too.
4 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
1/4 teaspoon cloves, ground
copper pennies, washed and sanitized. enough to cover the bottom the pot
40 minutes 30 mins prep
- Preparing the apples/pulp: Wash the apples and remove the stem and the blossom ends. DO NOT PEEL nor CORE. Cut the apples into small chunks.
- Add 2 cups of water and simmer until the apples are nice and soft.
- Once this is done, press the apples thru a seive or a food mill. YOU MUST HAVE at least 2 quarts of apple pulp.
- Next, in a large pot, place the pennies on the bottom. It must cover the bottom completely. NOTE: COPPER PENNIES help keep the butter from sticking and burning!! Very important!!
- Add the apple pulp, sugar and spices. Cook slowly until it is thick and will stick to a wooden spoon without dripping. Stir butter frequently to keep from sticking. If it is too thick for you, add apple juice to mellow out the thickness.
- You may can the rest of what you do not use. Wash, sterilze the jars and lids.
- Laddle the rest of the butter into the pint sized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headroom from the neck of the jar to the rim of the jar is called “headspace” Loosely tighten the jar lids to the jar.
- Make sure you take a clean cheesecloth and clean the rim. You do not want food particles on the rim. Once this is done, place in a hot boiling water bath.
- Make sure there is at least 1 inch of water over the top of the lids Boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove from canner and set on counter. Let cool.
- When they have properly sealed, the lids will make a popping sound. Store on shelf or in your fruit/canning cellar.
- You will notice how nice and shiney your pennies will be too. The acid in the apple butter will clean the pennies. Dont worry, your apple butter is safe. Just remember to clean, wash, and sanitize your pennies before using them. A small solution of dish soap. Rinse with clear water. Place them in a small solution of bleach water. Rinse again