"Apropos" does not mean "appropriate"

At a teachers meeting a few days ago, one of my co-workers (an ENGLISH TEACHER, keep in mind!) asked if we were going to “eazify” our standards for the tests…

:rolleyes:

I fuckin hate orientate.

Although, the first time I ever heard it, I fair laughed my ass off.

Since then, it’s become so pervasive, I no longer laugh.
( I still can’t get that image out of my head, pl, of you sitting at your desk, being pissed off to begin with, becoming more and more rabid with every tangentially mal-apropos apropos-post…:D)

I was appalled to learn in my class, Parts of Speech and Word Usage that ‘agreeance’ is a real word. It’s been around since the 16th century and the Macquarie dictionary allows it! Gak.

The Macquarie is the standard for Australian usage BTW.

I think it is more common and far more appalling when people use the non word: disrespecting or disrespected.

Two common uses: He is disrespecting me.
He disrespected me.

Bleh.

Some words just don’t sound right. “Orientate” being one of them…but as it says at dictionary.com

So I guess it can be interchanged w/ “orient”. Although I hate it.

Of course, I assume that’s what the misuse was you were referring to.
The other day I’m in a meeting w/ a colleague who continues to use the word “strategical” - as in, “that would be a very strategical move”. Finally I tell him, after the meeting, that “strategical” isn’t a word - he just needs to use the shortened “strategic”.

Of course, three days later he comes running in the office w/ a dictionary and points to the entry “strategical”.

I hate it. I guess I just have to orientate myself to strategical uses of English, then.

C.

I hate the way people confuse irony with poetic justice. It’s all Alanis Morrissette’s fault.

Actually, I’ve always thought Alanis’s examples of “irony” were better described as “things that just suck”. God, I hate that song, and Alanis in general.

My dictionary gives the first definition of “apropos” as “pertinent; appropriate.”

Apropos the usage of “apropos,” if you’re referring to me, then nyeh. :stuck_out_tongue:

(My, how apropos was that? :wink: )

Esprix

I hear this a lot:

“How apropos of you…” to bring up, to expound upon a subject…

In the classic sense, doesn’t that pretty much mean, how convenient or how appropriate given the circumstances…usually in a very harsh or derogatory way.

Um sorry Phil, I think given the examples I have seen and heard, not just here but other places as well I do think that apropos has more than just the “opportune” or “with regards to.” that you have eluded to. And does include the fact it is considered “appropriate” as an adjective.

Tell you what, my sis-in-law is a serious study of words, just finished two years of Latin at 36 years of age, was an English Major in college, worked with serious scholars of the written language, how about I ask her and see if she agrees with you or with the dictionary?

Apropos of preposterously inappropriate malapropisms, have you noticed the increasing incidence of “incidences” for “incidents”?

“For all intensive purposes”

AAAAARGH!

I honestly believe this one is displacing the correct version. Drives me crazy every time I see it.

<nitpick>
that you have eluded to

“Alluded.” Referred to, rather than avoided.

</nitpick>

Irregardless KILLS me. Not that I am Dr. A P Grammar or anything, but man. Get with it.

I actually just hate the word apropos, though; I could care less how it is supposed to be used. Pretentious, French-cigarette-smoking bastards.

Phil,

Okay, I am sitting here with my sis-in-law, the wordsmith :wink: and according to the Oxford Dictionary, it confirms that “appropriate” is an acceptable use of apropos.

So my dear if the Oxford Dictionary says so, then it’s so.

:wink:

I’ve concluded the #1 screw-up in the English language is the improper use of the contraction “there’s.” Read these, and they probably read just fine at first glance:

There’s several magazines dedicated to the sport of golf, but I don’t like any of them.
I know there’s a million reasons why I shouldn’t golf, but they’re all crazy.
My golf cart is great; there’s 150 miles on it, and it still runs like a gem.
I’m thinking of putting a turbocharger in it, but there’s so many brands to choose from, I can’t decide which to get.

The rampant disregard for the conjugation of “to be” is alarming. Worst of all, I have trouble not doing it myself! Of course, in all of the examples above, “there’s” should be “there’re” or “there are”, because the subjects are plural. If you listen for it, you will find that even the most educated people make this mistake. Even my AP English teacher! It’s actually become quite grating for me, because it happens so often and I always notice it. Well, that’s my hijack for the day.

“Orientate” is common usage here (UK). In fact, I can’t recall an instance where I’ve heard someone used “orient” instead. I hate it, too.

But my ultimate grievance has to be with the its/it’s confusion. It is totally pervasive now. I’ve seen it in newspapers, magazines, advertisements (television and in print), respectable websites, etc. A close second is when people add an “'s” to the end of the word to make a plural when they’re not supposed to (e.g. “I have three book’s”).

As in “The Orientate Express”? :wink:

Isn’t it ironical?

(Sorry Scylla…)

As long as we’re on pet peeves, how about folks who write “affect” when they mean “effect” (and vice-versa)?

What’s ‘Fiat Justitia’ mean? It’s been buggin me since Friday, when this thread started.

I get this image of some little car, parked at the curb, somehow more legal or supernuminously glowing in a warm nimbus of justice, standing out from all the other drab cars. I’m thinking that’s probably wrong…