Archer TV show - what the ever lovin'....?

I’m not sure why this matters to be honest.

I love the show, and have a group of 10 or so co-workers who watch as well. I’ve never once gotten the vibe that any of us watch because it reinforces racism. We all know it’s actually just mocking racists and sexist behaviors.

But, yeah, sounds like it’s not a show you will enjoy. Lots of other good stuff on.

Clueless brain-dead racists will always be clueless brain-dead racists, and will celebrate the show for what it isn’t. Is that the core of Archer’s audience? I have no clue. The people I know who like Archer aren’t, but it’s not like my conversations with racists last more than 3 minutes, or occur more than once.

Honestly, I think most people watch it because they enjoy the rapid word play and the jokes are funny more often than not even if they’re also often offensive. I can’t comment directly on the curry thing since I haven’t seen the episode recently and the script differs from your description of it but then if I thought the curry line was exceptionally clever I would have remembered it.

Really though, it’s more of Archer being a self-absorbed ass than Archer being racist. He’s not depicted as thinking other races are inferior (well, he thinks everyone is inferior…) but more being a bore and culturally inept.

Of course, if you don’t want to watch it then don’t watch it. A million-thousand other things to watch instead.

It’s “ok” to make fun of anyone & anything, in the sense that “when one thing’s off limits, everything’s off limits”.

See: the manatees in South Park’s Cartoon Wars Part II

Phrasing?

I love the show so much.

“You’re black…ish.”
“Ish?”
“Well I’m not allowed to say ‘quadroon.’”
“Oh jeez, I wonder why.”

but if you quit now you’ll never hear about the air-boat. Or Mallory knitting a onesie. Or…
Trenette
Whore Island
Reginald Thistleton

I’m a black male and I love this show. Maybe best low comedy ever.

ETA: That isn’t to say YOU should like it, different strokes and all.

Holy shit snacks I love that show. No offense to Anaamika

Malory: ISIS isn’t your own personal travel agency. It doesn’t exist just so you can jet off to… Whore Island!
Archer: That’s not… a real place.
Malory: I have fifty agents who would literally kill to move up to your position. And if you don’t square up your operations account by Monday, they won’t need to. Your position will be vacant! Sterling!
Archer: Sorry, I was picturing Whore Island.
Malory: Have I made myself clear?!
Archer: You’re looking for the answer “yes”?
Malory: Yes.
Archer: Then yes.

None taken! I’m sure I like plenty of things others don’t.

I watch South Park, so it’s not as though I don’t like lowbrow humor, but there is a line. I won’t watch that terrible redneck show with Hank…something to do with a hill? I’m blanking on it right now and am far too lazy to look it up.

And, I do watch and laugh at some jokes about Indians, but mostly ones made by Indians. Plus the curry one is just…not funny. It’s stupid. It’s like fart jokes. Ad nauseum.

This.

“I thought we skipped that step.”
“Skipped a step in disarming a bomb.”
“Yeah, which I thought was pretty irresponsible on your part.”

What you should have gone with was “Sammy Gay-vis Jr.”

phrasing.

Whenever I see people talking about what a great sense of humor they have and how they generally love some brand of humor BUT this example isn’t funny I am reminded of a comment by a friend off mine. He’s been dead for some years now but was a comedy writer/producer/performer. He once remarked, “It’s easy to say you have a good sense of humor but if you can’t laugh at a good joke about something you believe in devoutly, you haven’t.”

earballs

wait, I had something for this…

dammit!!

Well, you’ve got Lana who is pretty much the “Marilyn” of the show. Anytime Archer says something racist or sexist, often directly to Lana (who is not only female but also black) her response is always: “Wow… really?”

It’s an indication to the viewers that the things Archer says is actually NOT cool.

Eh, I’m willing to take Anaamika at her word on it. I think it’s unfortunate that she got smacked with that joke early in but I don’t think it’s a failing that it annoyed her. As noted above, if it came after episodes of other stuff it might have reflected differently to her.

I’m a white dude of Polish ancestry but it’s easy for me to say that Polish jokes don’t bother me because, day to day, I’m just a white dude. My ancestry doesn’t play into it. If I was of Indian origin and had to listen to a bunch of crap about it, I’d probably have a much shorter fuse for jokes about my ancestry or culture.

I would recommend that, if you feel inclined, to watch Skytanic. That’s one of the best episodes so, if that doesn’t do anything for you, then you might as well cut bait.

If you can’t handle King of the Hill you’re never going to like Archer. They’re not even on the same planet humor-wise. Hank Hill is a genuinely nice guy, Sterling Archer…

Yes. That’s why its hilarious (well, partially - its ‘wrong’ on so many different levels. It’s like South Park with spies).