one of the things that surprised me when i moved to austin was “News 8 Austin”, a 24-hour local news station. i grew up in houston, and i don’t remember any 24 hr news station.
so is this unique to austin? how many doper’s out there have a local newse (and only local news) staion? and if you do, what city do you live in?
and to you houston dopers, am i just remembering incorrectly? was there in fact an all local news station that has slipped my memory?
thanks to all y’alls input.
There’s one in Rochester, NY and a cable local news station in New York City.
Here’s a list of 24-hour news stations around the country. Wherever the population can support the ad revenue, it seems you’ll find one, judging byt this map. So, yes, it is normal.
- News 12 Long Island; Woodbury, New York
- New York 1 News (NY1 News); New York, New York
- News 12 Westchester; Yonkers, New York
- Neighborhood News 12; Hicksville, New York
- News 12 The Bronx; Bronx, New York
- News 12 New Jersey; Edison, New Jersey
- News 12 Connecticut; Norwalk, Connecticut
- Rhode Island News Channel; Providence, Rhode Island
- New England Cable News (NECN); Newton, Massachusetts
- Regional News Network (RNN); Kingston, New York
- R News; Rochester, New York
- Tri-State Media News (TSM News); New Castle, Delaware
- Newschannel 8; Springfield, Virginia
- Local News on Cable (LNC); Norfolk, Virginia
- Six News Now (SNN); Sarasota, Florida
- Bay News 9; Pinellas Park, Florida
- Central Florida News 13 (CFN13); Orlando, Florida
- Florida’s News Channel (FNC); Tallahassee, Florida
- Gwinnett News & Entertainment Television (GNET); Lawrenceville, Georgia
- Pittsburgh Cable News Channel (PCNC); Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Ohio News Network (ONN); Columbus, Ohio
- ChicagoLand Television News (CLTV); Oak Brook, Illinois
- NewsChannel 5+; Nashville, Tennessee
- Newswatch 15; New Orleans, Louisiana
- News 8 Austin; Austin, Texas
- Texas Cable News (TxCN); Dallas, Texas
- News Now 53; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- News On One; Omaha, Nebraska
- The Arizona News Channel; Phoenix, Arizona
- Las Vegas One; Las Vegas, Nevada
- NorthWest Cable News (NWCN); Seattle, Washington
- Bay TV; San Francisco, California
- Orange County News (OCN); Santa Ana, California
- San Diego’s Newschannel 15; San Diego, California
Orlando News Channel 13
Most of the local (and major national) news is covered within the first 8 minutes, followed by 2 minutes of international coverage, and ‘fluffy’ fun local feel-good stories, mixed in with weather & traffic).
Coverage repeats for about 6 hours (except for the traffic & weather). You can tell, becuase the anchorperson makes a slightly different broad-sweeping hand gesture.
These are cable news stations right?
nope, news 8 in austin isn’t cable Markxxx. i’d imagine the others mentioned are on regular tv, too.
I believe CLTV in Chicago is cable-only, and I’m also pretty confident that New England Cable News, Local News on Cable(Norfolk), Pittsburgh Cable News Channel, Texas Cable News(Dallas), NorthWest Cable News(Seattle) are not broadcast. Also, I think the channels with “One” in their names are cable-only, as there is no broadcast channel one.