Are Bosch dishwashers still THE dishwashers to get?

We had a Bosch. It was really quiet, but we never figured out how to load our dishes given the layout of the racks. Didn’t even consider getting one when we moved and redid the kitchen in our new house. Perfectly happy w/ our GE Profile.

Believe me, we tried EVERYTHING to make that thing work better. Nothing helped. It is gone now and no longer a problem.

I had a Miele installed at my previous house and liked it better than the Bosch in the house we just bought. But the Bosch is an older model so it may not be a fair comparison. The Miele had a pretty powerful fan and never had any issue drying. The Bosch does a good job drying except in situations where something (a flipped over cup, a lid with deep recesses) has trapped a lot of standing water. It has a hard time getting the moisture level down in that case.

Consumer Reports did dishwasher testing for their June 2016 issue. I have the comparison chart if you want it - just PM me an addy to send it to.

We have a ca. 2012 Maytag Jetclean Plus (MDB8959SAS1, if you care), and it’s stellar. Very good at cleaning, even without using the top of the line detergents. Supposedly it’s not the most awesome at being energy or water efficient, but I bought it to clean dishes, and efficiency is decidedly a second tier concern.

We were given a newish one when a friend of my husband’s remodeled her high-end kitchen.

I loved how quiet it was, but only about a year into our possession of it, its little circuit board stopped telling the detergent door to open. Fixing this little glitche would have been prohibitively expensive, so we had to get rid of it.

You know they have a recommended layout in the manual…:smiley:

Yeah - didn’t work for our dishware that we used most often. Would always end up running tiny partial loads.

So maybe we needed to buy new dishes and cook meals accordingly - you’re not buying a new dishwasher, you’re buying a new lifestyle! :rolleyes:

I’d guess you had the same problem we do with our current one. The original had widely-spaced tines top and bottom, what I’d consider “normal” from decades of experience with various models. When I ordered the current one, it was rated for many more dishes than other equivalents, and it has frustratingly close-set tines designed to hold many, many flat plates and not much else.

Which is why I’ve mentioned a couple of times when you’re looking at Bosch and other high-end dishwashers, look closely at the sub-sub-model differentiations and be sure to get one with a LOWER dish count. AFAICT, there is no difference except the interior racks. Interior size and everything else is identical across the major model number.

We just got a top of the line Miele. We’re not crazy or rich or crazy-rich. It was a discontinued floor model that needed parts to make it work selling therefore at an unbelievable discount, less than a Bosch.

Now that it works, it seems to work very well. There were several features that we liked, it’s the quietest model on the market (38 dB), and the layout is well-thought.

Just doing some poking around, I ran across a moderately priced [-5500596/WDT780SAEM/"]Whirlpool model](Home, Kitchen & Laundry Appliances & Products | Whirlpool[WDT780SAEM), if anyone has any input.