Are there any online chatrooms NOT filled with stupid kids?

Well being lonely sucks. Is there no opportunity to get out and meet/socialize with people IRL?

:confused: Is that even possible? I mean, I’ve heard of it, but always thought it was an urban legend, like sunlight.

I’ve tried and ultimately ended up failing miserably, which got me even more depressed and angry at the situation.

More or less the problem isn’t the weekends or wanting someone to drink with on a Friday night, it’s more like the annoying 7PM-10PM time frame during the week when I’m bored and just want something to do to get me through til I go to bed

The 7-10 window is the ideal hour to take a class. Exercise classes combine light sociability with learning shit and burning calories. Language classes force everyone to talk in the same ridiculous bumbling manner. Cooking classes will eventually impress the ladies, and in the meantime, yourself. Etc.

Most town/city/county have some sort of organized recreation & education program where you can take such classes cheaply. They may be based out of a community center or a local college. Google that shit up.

Wow, I also used to play trivia games in those AOL chat rooms! (Game Haven, Game Parlor, etc.) I was even a Host there for a bit. I wasn’t sure they were still around, it’s been several years since I’ve even logged onto AOL! I wonder if we used to know each other, lol.

I went to aol.com and when I clicked chat it had me open up my aim, and even on aim I had my buddy list and that was it; there was no button I saw for chatting…where do you see these chatrooms?

I actually don’t know how to get to the chatrooms through AIM. I use the actual AOL software which is downloadable (from Aol.com it looks like you get it from the More tab | AOL desktop.) Then instead of connecting through dial-up you’d select Connect Through TCP/IP (and it’s free to sign up for it if you’re only connecting through TCP/IP. It’s slow and ad-laden.)

But it’s probably easier to connect through AIM. I just don’t know how to do so! I wonder if one of the SDMB Poker night players might be able to answer this, since I’ve never done so.

I frequent an IRC chat on irc.fleetchat.org , #urban_legends chatroom. No stupid kids but a few silly adults XD. There’s usually someone there evenings.

Not in my case, I have my elderly mother living with me, so going out, or having friends over is a no-no.

I while away my days playing the sims social on facebook.

Do I have to? I mean, first of all I’d prefer boobies, but if I’m asking a question about how to replace my rear springs, I don’t want to show a guy my penis and vise versa. He’s all greasy and dirty from working on his car and/or using a car for an example, I don’t want to be sharing that kind of thing in meatspace.

I really don’t want to see dirty boobies, either. Is there away around not showing anyone my junk? Can I just log on and look around without releasing my naked bits, but seeing there parts if they want to show them?

Nobody shows their real parts anyway. Thats why it’s good to stick to cars or coins.

I am in the same boat here. No local friends and no possibility of finding any, since I don’t attend church (and therefore I am one of those scary “godless” types that the locals avoid. They know this about me because when you are introduced to someone here, they shake your hand and say “What church do you go to?”). No clubs to join, no classes to take, no social opportunities at all since they are all sponsored by and held at churches and involve a great deal of praying.

I have had no luck at all in my efforts to find a chat room, regardless of the time of day. Well, I find them here and there, but the problem for me is that there are inevitably about 6 people in the room who have been chatting there for years. They are talking about topics that everyone knows (one person’s sick husband, another person’s upcoming vacation, somebody’s new dog) and while they all send out a greeting to me, they then immediately go back to their rapid-fire chat about the subject they all know all about. I suppose if I spent hours in the room over the course of a few weeks, I would pick up the storylines–sort of like jumping into a serial TV show with no prior knowledge of any of the characters or previous events–but I am not that patient, I guess. I have a lot of interests but none of them fervent enough to want to just discuss that topic.

Indeed? Evenings in what timezone?

Hershele, formerly of AFU

Came here to post the same thing. You’ll have to basically hang up on ninety horny teenagers asking you what kind of panties you’re wearing in broken English, but on the ninety-first try you usually get another normal human being who has also just hung up on ninety horny teenagers, and is just as desperate for a normal conversation as you are.

I used to hang out there and answer completely random questions. My opening line was, “Hello. I’m the Advice Fairy. Is there anything you would like some advice on today?” Aside from the fascinating array of questions you get when people actually take you up on that, I also got a fascinating array of really wacky guesses from them as to what they thought my age/gender/nationality were – although I think nothing will top the time that someone right here on the Dope mistook me for a veteran Corporaton STelE. :smiley: