Are you a t-shirt and jeans kind of person?

I’ve worn nothing but t-shirts and jeans to school this year, usually with the same sweater I’ve been wearing for three years. It has holes on the sleeves, but you can’t see them so I wear it anyway. To be honest, the girls at school who always look nice sort of scare me - I mean, how is it possible to look nice all the time ? Never a bad hair day, never laugh hard enough to make your mascara run, always wearing a skirt and blouse that match perfectly. Okay, I think I’ve been gibbering long enough - this really belongs in the thread about irrational fears.

Definitely jeans and t-shirts. I really don’t like dressing up unless it’s the really fun sort of dressing up that makes me feel like I’m wearing a costume. Obviously, this doesn’t happen too often.

If only I had a school uniform, life would be complete. No effort on my part at any time. I hate picking out stuff to wear.

jessica

I, too, never wear dresses.

For the first 15 years or so of my professional life it was suits and ties everyday, which I never really minded, but damn that can cost. In the mid-'90s that all changed and the suits disappeared. The only times I’ve worn a suit in the last few years have been when I’ve gone to the symphony.

Now it’s slacks and, usually, a button down oxford for work and off time. Jeans and Ts about twice a week. This being Sunday AM on the message board, it’s socks and underwear ('cause that’s what I woke up wearing).

Fortunately, I am in one of those industries where polo shirts and a nice pair of slacks can pass for formality. :smiley:

The rumors of wearing sandals to work are absolutely slanderous.

I’m totally a dressed-down person. However, I recently graduated from broadcasting school. And I had to wear a shirt, tie & jacket while performing as a news anchor. And I actually kind of liked it. The only thing was I had to leave my tie knotted the whole month and just slip it over my head when I needed to use it.

And now for the minority report…I am rarely seen in jeans, or pants, either. Since my job requires a professional look, I opt for dress or skirt and top, with pantyhose. Pants are allowed, but I don’t look good in them, so the only time I’m seen in pants is when I have a physical therapy session for my knee, or on my day off, if I don’t have to go anywhere. Pants are just way too much clothing…I prefer the loose, floaty feel of a dress around my legs.

I love seeing men in suits and ties…since I work in a business setting, I get to see lots! Can’t explain it, but the men who come in here in suits, or nice shirt and pants, just seem a few IQ points ahead of the ones who bop by in jeans and T-shirt…at first glance, of course. And a great tie is a wonderful conversation starter. Of course, there is an awful lot to be said for nice blue jeans with a white button-down, oxford cloth shirt, sleeves rolled up…oh my.

But what’s really great is a guy who can wear both…and knows which look to wear when. Who wants to date a guy who’ll never take you somewhere really fancy just because he can’t bear to wear a tie for a few hours…and it’s so fun to help him take it off! I won’t go back to quote whoever said he didn’t like it when people complimented him when he dressed up…but you DO look better! You carry yourself differently…you look great. The last time I saw my son in dress pants (we call them grown-up pants) and a shirt and tie, I burst into tears…he was momentarily not a sullen teenager in baggy pants and baggy t-shirt…he was slim, handsome and capable. And looked as intelligent as I know he is.

Another tshirt and jeans junkie.

I do enjoy dressing up once in a while because my friends are blown away when they see me in anything but ts&j.

I really fail to see the point of wearing suits and collared shirts around the office. Unless you have direct interaction with the customer, why not be comfortable. I’ve been wearing comfortable clothes to train for the job place through high school and in a few weeks my frist year of college, why shouldnt I be able to wear those at teh workplace?

Gramicci pants and t-shirts. Gramicci’s are elastic waist with a built-in web belt and a gusset in the crotch. When I lose weight I’m going back to jeans part time. I got these 4x4 (?) ribbed t-shirts at Old Navy. They’re 0.5% more dressy than normal t’s.

You sleep with socks on?
I’ve done that when it’s freezing in my house, but I hate it. I like feeling the bed linens with my feet. Yum.

I usually dress down. I like to dress up, but not in the usual formal wear (see the Oscar clothes thread for an example.)

I loathe ties and refuse to wear them if at all possible. Last election I went to an interview with candidated from the other four parties and it was guy in a tie, guy in a tie, guy in a tie, New Democrat in a turtleneck, guy in a tie. It was a good schtick.

Used to be all jeans and t-shirts in college but for the last seven or so years I’ve worked at a place where the minimum legwear is khakis and I wear a lot of button down shirts, polos, sweaters or whatever depending on the season. So now I own about a dozen or so pairs of khakis and maybe a single pair of jeans that fits. Why buy more jeans? I’m not about to change my clothes when I get home just to have jeans on and even on the weekends I’m either totally slumming in sweats or else just put on the ole Dockers to go out.

I can’t be the only one who’s like this – a few weeks ago, a couple people in the office were pressing for a casual Friday and about half of the rest of us mentioned that the clothes we had now were hardly uncomfortable and we didn’t own “casual” clothing anyway. Are a pair of jeans really any more comfortable than any other pair of well fitting pants?

For weddings, funerals and whatever I have no problem throwing on a nice dress shirt, tie, sportcoat or suitcoat, etc. I just don’t have reason to do so all that often.

You’ve got linens?

If I’m not out to impress anyone (weekends, by myself, etc) I don’t put much thought into what I wear. But I am very conciencious of how I look at work. When I had a summer job as a Technical Writer, I dressed formally and continued to do so when my job details veered into being a gofer or janitor. The great thing about it was if someone was visiting the company and saw me standing next to the upper management people, they wouldn’t know I spend all day hauling the garbage out to the dumpster/mopping up chemical spills/grinding up waste plastic. :smiley:

I am a Jeans and t-shirt kind of guy (or sweatshirt when its cold out). I also am one of “those” people who wears sandals during the cold Wisconsin winter. BTW, Why can’t guys wear skirts, they are so darn Comfy?

I own:

1 suit
2 ties
1 tie pin
2 dress shirts
3 other shirts with collars
1 pair dress shoes

5 pairs of jeans
127 race t-shirts
3 pairs running shoes

guess :wink:

I’m a tank top and cargos person m’self … come to think of it, that’s exactly what I’m wearing now, with extra comfy points because they’re denim cargos (dungarees actually).

Now, I look good in dresses, fitted button-down shirts, etc, but I hardly wear them because I am by nature a clumsy and spill-prone person. For work, though, I have to dress “professionally” – meaning I have to tuck in my shirt, which I bloody well hate. Also, my color choices are black or white/khaki, and since I’m slinging coffee all day I go all black. I look like a mortician moonlighting as an Avon lady. sigh

Wrangler 13MWZs and Haynes Beefy Tees, usually black. I don’t even wear a watch.

Out of curiousity, how do the Dopers feel about someone accessorizing to jeans and t-shirts? I’m planning to go shopping for some nice boots and belts. Would this strike you as tasteful in a subtle way, or would it be a waste of time?

When I’m heavy into my field season, it’s jeans and a tank top or turtleneck, tastefully encrusted with bird poop and blood. This gets a little tiring so on my office days, I’ll sometimes throw on a skirt and pumps.

Last Friday I mixed the two (field work and nice clothes). We had a training session at one of the mosquito agencies, and I brought in two crows to help demonstrate identification. As I picked up the cage to leave, one crow took an enormous dump right onto the top of my brand new left shoe. What a stinker.

I work from home, so I can wear anything I want without answering to anyone. As a consequence, I’m very casual. Typically it’s jeans and sweaters or t-shirts, but maternity jeans are a drag so these days, I’m living in leggings and sweats. I’m all about the comfort.

Conversely, when I go out to church or a meeting or anything even remotely formal, I go all the way out – heels, hose, dresses, full face of makeup, jewelry, the whole shebang. On Easter, I even wore a hat. Since I don’t have to do it everyday anymore, I enjoy doing it on occasions instead.

tshirt and jeans, definitely

although if I could afford to, I’d spiff up the wardrobe considerably.