Are you different IRL than you are online?

This is the real me. I think I wisecrack a bit more IRL - I have a sarcastic sense of humour, and much of it requires a tone of voice that I can’t quite get across here.

And I do wish that real life did have a delete key.

Of course, IRL I am 3 dimensional.

I’m devastatingly handsome IRL; confident, outgoing, able to charm little children, school librarians and motorcycle cops; witty, kind and gentle to a fault and yet manly and forceful as the need arises…

…IRL does mean “Imbibing Regular Libations” right?

BTW, my real name is also spelled xenophonetically…

I’m less of a pixle IRL. More…3D. Other than that…nope.

IRL, I am a small, liberal, black woman. On the SDMB I am a lanky, Republican, white guy.

I think I carry it well.

Nope. Sorry! :smiley:

Well, maybe a little nicer online.

I’m just as big an ***hole IRL as I am here.

Interesting that many of you are more outgoing online.

I’m more outgoing and flirtatious (with a wicked, devious sense of humour) IRL than I am here. Maybe it’s because I’ve made such a fool of myself on a few MB’s and newsgroups that I’m much more careful here. Who knows? Maybe it’s just my winning smile!

I think I’m probably more entertaining irl, and I am avoiding ICQ and the like for fear of being sucked in again. Currently this is the only place I post, and I probably should spend more time crafting my questions and replies to make me more entertaining here, but i digress

I’m a bit less pendantic and intellectual IRL than I am here, but that’s only for lack of opportunity, and the limitations of verbal as opposed to written debate.

I also tell a lot of jokes IRL.

Hmmm a good question! IRL, until I get to know someone and feel comfy with them I tend to be a bit more quiet than online…other than that, what you hear, read is what you get…

[hijack]

Hey, GreenEyes, welcome! Always nice to see another SoCalDoper.

[/hijack]

I’m pretty much the same here as in real life.

If anyone frequents the channel in Undernet, you’d know that I usually sit there silently lurking or sleeping.

I’m much worse IRL.

In real life my brain is kept in a flowerpot.

You guys are familiar with the term “Staircase Humor,” right?

Meaning the clever, witty, absolutely perfect thing to say that suddenly strikes you as you’re on the stairs, leaving?

I think that’s something we all benefit from online…we can sit staring at the last post like slack-jawed yokels for ten minutes until a funny remark occurs to us, then type it in quick.

Whereas IRL we’d just sit staring at each other like slack-jawed yokels.

I, too, am much more reserved OL than IRL. Being new to this, I find I am terribly intimidated and hesitant to voice anything. I’ve followed the board for so long and become so familiar with the various personalities here that I find myself second-guessing the responses–or lack thereof–and tend to edit myself too heavily.
Because all I get is a written chance at expressing myself, I become shy about it…very unlike my RL self.
Hopefully, I’ll get better as time goes on…

IRL, I am very clumsy.

I think I am the same both OL and IRL. Really, I am outgoing, verbose, opinionated, and outrageous in either context. Although IRL, I think my humor comes across better, since I tend toward physical comedy. I am like the girl on the five star commercial, always tripping and falling. And I am very flamboyant with my gestures, which go along with my humor. Like Ike said, it’s easier to be verbally witty for after I can think for a while. Although every once in a while, I astound myself and others with my wit!

Examples of stupid things I have said in past few weeks:

1. You just suck it and it pops! - about parafin paper
  2. I have gravy between my legs! - real gravy, from dinner, came across poorly.
  3. I can’t wait to be raped this weekend! - simulation rape for my self defence class. Of course, the poeple on the bus did not know that.

And guarenteed, if there is a staircase with a hot guy on it, I will trip. If there are a lot of people around, I will stumble. If there is a giant rock on the ground that I spot from 20 feet away, I will trip over it. Guarenteed.

So OL and IRL balance themselves out for me. I am less funny OL but I am much more graceful. :slight_smile:

In real life, I am very introverted and loathe being the center of attention. Online… you make the call.

i’m definitely not looking good on the MB IMO, but IRL i think i come off as better then i think of myself :confused: mostly about the MB 'cause i feel so intimidated by the atmosphere being so filled with genius.
I also don’t use so many acronyms and initials IRL.

IRL I am even more me than online. Sarcasm is tougher, as is inflection, but I just post the first thing that pops into my head, just like IRL. My real life volume is probably higher.