Are you (still) registered to vote?

Some states cutoff is approx a month in advance of the actual election, which means you’re getting close if you’re not registered for any reason. (That website states it’s 10 or 11 days in Iowa, & also allows day-of registration.) Generically one should check sooner rather than later given we’re roughly 6 weeks until election day.

I was on the rolls for the primary last week, so yep.

Yes. Here in Maine, any registered voter who wants to vote by mail can request an “absentee” ballot with no questions asked. Even though I’m almost never truly absent from my town on election day, I always vote by mail now. It sure beats driving to and standing in line at the polling place. I just ordered by November 2018 ballot online, and expect to get it in the mail in a week or two.

Got confirmation that I’m registered to get my absentee ballot, and they fixed the URL on the request form, so that people can find the address to send it to.

Still bugs me that it’s a bit more opaque than it needs to be, though.

I am registered.
I do wonder about one thing, so I will ask it here. Why do so many people choose to vote by mail? If you travel a lot that is one thing, but otherwise? Myself, I like the going to the polls experience. If you don’t, why not?

I have been voting illegally for years. Good times. Registration? I is to laff!

Yes.

My absentee ballot came in email today and I have filled it out and stamped it; it is now only waiting to be mailed. I can vote only for federal offices since I have been living in Canada for 50 years (and four days). I was a little surprised to find that the Democratic candidate for HR was named Betsy Dirksen Londrigan. If she is truly from that Dirksen family, her ancestor must be turning in his grave. But at this point, I will vote for any Democrat I can.

Why, yes I am. Have never missed a vote. Came close one year, I had just had a baby 2 days before. I am trying to get the lil’wrekker registered. She ain’t got no fire in her belly about her duty. I will succeed.

I checked and yes I am still registered however, oh horror of horrors.
I got switched to a new polling center. Instead of having to walk only 3 blocks south to the old high school, I now have to walk 4 whole blocks west to the community center, oh the pain and anguish of democracy.
:wink:

I haven’t not been registered since I was of age to vote. I vote in all elections, even the poorly attended primaries. I figure you can’t complain about how things are run if you don’t vote.

My inspiration is my grandmother, she was first able to vote in a presidential election in 1928, when she was just short of her 21st birthday. She voted in the 2012 election, so she voted for President 22 times, a possible record. Even now, if you voted for the first time on your 18th birthday you’d have to reach 102 years old to equal my grandmother. She died about three weeks after the election, just shy of her 108th birthday. I never asked who she voted for, but in 2008 she had a McCain Palin sticker on her wheelchair!

I’m curious about this too. Not that I enjoy the voting in person experience so much (though I don’t dislike it either) but because I’ve had too many pieces of mail over the years that arrived late, or not at all, or in seriously damaged condition, or were misdelivered. I don’t trust that my ballot would arrive.

Plus, a true story: in college I requested an absentee ballot several times, which meant mailing it to me and then my mailing it back in an envelope they provided. One election it seemed that the envelope was awfully big for the size of the ballot. At first I didn’t think anything of it, but just before I mailed it back (a day or two before the deadline, being a last minute kind of a guy) I thought I’d best check at the post office…turned out the envelope was oversized enough to require more than a first class stamp.

Oh my. I suspect my ballot did arrive safely, but I wonder how many others blithely affixed a single stamp to their envelopes and had their ballots returned to them after the deadline.

(To be fair, I live in NY state, where polls are open from six am to nine pm for most elections and where the election boards use electronic voting with paper ballot backup…so there’s a reasonable period of time for voting and I can be pretty sure my ballot is properly counted. I realize that is not the case for all states; if I lived somewhere where polls were open ten hours, say, with no paper ballot backup, I might feel differently. Also, my polling place is basically around the corner and the lines tend to be quite short…if I had to drive ten miles and wait in line for 1.5 hours I might feel differently as well.)

I’m registered, and voting with a vengeance.

Same here: I live in California, I was registered for the primary, I have no doubt that I’m still registered.

Of course I live in a deep blue district in a deep blue state, so it’s not like my vote will affect anything.

Yes, I just checked the other day.

I think the only way to get kicked off the rolls completely is to commit two separate violations of election laws. Ordinary felonies just mean you can’t vote from your cell; you (AFAIK) stay registered and can vote when you get out.

If you enjoy it, more power to you. But I never did really enjoy it, even when I lived in places that made it fairly convenient. Years ago when I lived in a small town in New York and again when I lived in a small city in New Hampshire, voting in person was a bit of a chore but not terribly inconvenient. The polling places were within walking distance and the lines were usually short. I voted every chance I could when I lived in those places.

But when I lived in rural West Virginia in the 1990s and now that I live in rural Maine, it’s much less convenient. The only polling place in my town of 7000 residents is a ten minute drive from home, in a direction I would otherwise have no reason to go. When you arrive, there are often no parking spots except at the side of a narrow rural road. Next you get to dodge election-day traffic as you walk along the road (no sidewalks, both shoulders full of parked cars, and ditches outside the cars) to the polling place. Then you have to wait in line for up to half hour to get your ballot. The line often snakes around out-of-doors where it’s cold in November and not infrequently raining. After you get your ballot, you may have to wait another five or ten minutes for a booth to open up. Sometimes the off-road parking isn’t full, and usually the waiting times are less than 30 minutes, and the line doesn’t always snake outside. But I’ve never had to wait less than 15 minutes total. Under these conditions I only voted in less than half of all elections because it was just so inconvenient and frustrating. Then a few years ago I discovered absentee ballots, and I have voted every time since. I have never had a problem with ballots that arrive late or fail to arrive at all. I am a happy voter.

Yep, continuously active since 1988 after having a lapse in 84. PR used to knock you out the active rolls after 4+ years inactivity, the court raised that up to 8+ for the 2016 election. Then again even those who got inactivated only have to show up at the elections office by the deadline date and say “hey, here I am” and they’re back on the list.

Of course. And I have voted in every election except for council elections when I was employed by that council.

I’ve never had an issue being registered. No hint of ever being taken off.

There are usually long waiting times, meaning it takes a significant portion of your day. The polls may be open all day, but most people can only vote after work, meaning a bunch of congestion. Once in the booth, the people create a time pressure, as you want to give the next person time to use the machine. And, if someone pops up on that ballot that you didn’t know about, too bad.

With mail in ballots, I vote when I feel like it. I can even look up the people I didn’t know about (the lower offices). There is absolutely no time pressure at all, and nothing to get in the way. It’s just altogether a more pleasant experience, to the point that I recommend it to everyone.

Speaking of which, I talked to my parents about it, and the only reason they gave for wanting to go is that they can socialize a bit, and that it’s not that long since they get off of work earlier than they used to. In other words, it’s an excuse to get out and be with people. That’s about it.

As for mail not arriving: I’ve not had that be a problem in general, and find it much less likely for an obvious official envelope. But, if I were worried, I’d just go drop it off in person: that’s also an option. As is having a “designated bearer” drop it off for me.

But I trust the people at my post office to do it right. And I drop it off in their mailbox, not in my own where some vandal could get into it.