Are you wearing a mask if you go out in public?

That’s true and that’s one ‘carrot’ but the fact of the matter is that this delta variant can pierce through the protection of the vaccine - and the data that Israel has (and CDC does NOT have) shows that vaccinated people can get sick. There is also increasing evidence that vaccinated people - perhaps as many as 40% - can get sick with long COVID when they do get infected. I don’t want long COVID. I don’t want psychosis. I don’t want blood clots. I don’t want to be forced onto a couch after walking for a few minutes. I don’t want my IQ lowered by 7-10 points. I don’t want symptoms that mimic Alzheimers. That is the shit that nobody - and I mean nobody - is talking about when they paint their rosy ass scenarios about vaccine protection cutting down the death rate. Yes, that’s great, but there are a LOT of other bad outcomes, life-altering outcomes, that can occur before death - outcomes so bad that many people might actually wish they were dead. That’s the point of my ‘alarmism’

And I go back to the fact that CDC does not have the most important data that you, I, and other vaccinated people want and need to have, which is how many breakthrough cases there really are.

I wear a mask, but we have enough cases of the vaccinated getting Covid in the US that if 40% were getting long Covid I think we’d know.
But sure the unvaccinated are dangerous to everyone. They don’t seem to give a shit, so it’s better to scare them about them dying than anyone else getting sick. Some places are seeing increases in the number of vaccinations, so maybe the message is finally getting through.

It tells me they don’t know what they are talking about. But for the last 18 months, officials at all levels of government have been imploring us to “follow the guidelines”.

It can’t be both. One can’t have their cake, and eat it.

Okay, so you’re using CDC guidelines when they’re convenient. All or nothing. No capacity for nuance.

Got it.

No, exactly the opposite. I’m not. People (including several on this board) want to follow the guidelines when they’re convenient to them.

No, don’t play this both sides crap - you were the one saying “I find it interesting that people know more than CDC. I’m following the CDC guidelines which don’t advise wearing a mask, so I’m not wearing a mask.” I challenged you and pointed out that the CDC was a little slow on the uptake. I was right. You were not. And you’re not now.

You are deliberately trying to have a dishonest debate and you’re trying to, within the rules, sow misinformation. This should not be allowed. In fact, I think YOU should not be allowed.

To everyone reading this: everyone knows the little games that our resident “conservatives” play. I am trying to defend the integrity of the community discussion here.

Why not? Mask-wearing can be directly connected to this past flu season being the mildest on record.

People should continue wearing masks in public indefinitely whenever possible.

Most people disagree.

“Most people” were opposed to wearing seatbelts not that long ago.

I currently do not. Until CDC guidelines for my area change, I will trust them. When they change, I will wear the mask. I will continue doing what I have this entire time: following their advice. (And the advice of medical professionals who are my close friends and who have worked with major virus outbreaks and have immunology specialities.) I personally am fine with the current risk level. I no doubt will change my behavior when advised to do so.

If you live in one of the orange or red counties on this map, then the advice is for you to mask up.

I do not.

Moderating:

Knock it off. This is an attack on a poster and that’s what’s not allowed.

As you know, you are free to correct as much incorrect information as you feel is contained within the thread.

This is not a warning, but don’t push this attack further.

ETA: After further review, staff agree this should be upgraded to a formal Warning for making a direct attack on another poster.

People who wish to, fine. But all of us? No thanks.

Being vaccinated, I’m currently not inclined to wear a mask. I don’t think I’m likely to pose a threat to others, so long as they’re paying enough attention to whether others are existing near them that social distancing is doable. I will, however, put one on without fuss if a specific place states a wish that I do so (such as during a recent eye exam) or if I’m having some sort of upper respiratory symptoms, even if it’s most likely just a mild cold or my allergies.

How can you TELL about your county? Trying to zoom in sends my approximate area right off the non-movable map. They need some sort of search function where you can input your county and get back usable info.

I think the CDC has been slow and communicated badly throughout the pandemic. They were slow to acknowledge that covid was airborne. They lied about masks when they were worried about the supply of masks for medical staff. They failed by looking at masks as an individual, rather than a societal, choice when they said, “fully vaccinated people take em off”. IMHO, they should have said, “if you are vaccinated and local incidence is less than X”, for some moderate value of X.

I think “proven greatly reduced odds of dying, proven greatly reduced odds of hospitalization, and extremely likely greatly reduced odds of long covid” is an extremely tasty carrot, personally.

You can believe whatever you want to believe, but the science – if you are really interested in that – tells a different story. With the delta variant, vaccinated people can spread disease, as can unvaccinated people. Vaccinated people have a lower viral load, but if you are vaccinated and unmasked and you bring the virus home to your 80 year-old father/grandfather and kill him…you’re responsible for negligent homicide. You’ve been told the risks; you just don’t want to be bothered.

Please retake that mail-order mind-reading course that you obviously failed. Also, welcome to my ignore list. I’m not at all interested in hysterical ad-hominems that read like I blasphemed your religion.

BS. Do you have a cite for being unmasked around grandpa is somehow "negligent homicide? Not, you don’t.