Aretha singing for Carole King at Kennedy Center Honors - why didn't I know about this?!

Shouldn’t you be watching reruns of Downton Abbey? Better yet, Keeping Up Appearances? In which you regard Hyacinth as the heroine…

Thankfully, plenty of Brits are able to enjoy excellent music.

I know. They mostly made it in the first place.

I think I love you.

Written by the editor in chief, David Remnick.

He discusses this Kennedy Center Honors performance quite a bit. Aretha cites it as one of her best nights ever, top 3 or 4. Cool.

Nice.

My very first concert (my family was a bit different) was an outdoor twin-bill of Dave Brubeck and Aretha Franklin.

After a great show by Brubeck, Aretha came on. There was a helicopter circling overhead and while she was singling her opening number it flew lower and became noticeably louder. In the midst of her song she looked up at the chopper, shook her fist at it and belted out: “Fly, fly away birdie!!”

Doesn’t seem like much, I know, but I’ll never forget that ad-libbed showmanship. What a professional. What a talent. Amazing.
ETA: Regarding her Kennedy Center performance: I am so embarrassed to say this but, I never knew she could play piano like that!

It certainly brought a tear to MY eye when I saw it!

Wonderful moment. First time I’ve seen Aretha play piano.

Somehow, some way, I want to see Aretha and Gladys Knight perform in concert. They both are still touring, I just have to find concerts with 300 to 400 miles of my home.

Regarding Aretha and Piano:

Oh, yeah, she knew her Gospel chords on piano. She played piano on some of her sessions and used it communicate with the Muscle Shoals guys. Her respect for keyboardist Spooner Oldham is part of what led her to trust those musicians - coming up with those keyboard riffs and big chords. She is a wonderful player.

I believe she plays piano on Amazing Grace, which The New Yorker article discusses in detail - it is a best selling live album of hers. But there is a film of it that is apparently one of the greatest unseen lives performances ever. Aretha has been blocking it - because she’s Aretha. The piano on it is wonderful; I just can’t tell where she is playing. Regardless, this is her at the top of her form, in perfect voice, singing the music she grew up with in her bones. This is best-ever stuff.

Note: yes, she stretches out and uses melisma. Yes, it is overused now, and many of her progeny overdo it just like Eddie Van Halen’s descendents sound like they are typing, not playing guitar.

If you need to complain about the general state of oversinging, start another thread. In general, I hate it, too. But this is amazing, amazing gospel, with a wonderful backing choir. This is how it should be used and no one has ever done it better.

I feel like Obama when I listen to this - where’s Michelle with a tissue when you need her?

I’m not really someone that listens to Aretha, I didn’t even know that she played the piano, Wow that is some real talent that woman has, you can’t fake that.