Arrogant pop stars

I read today that the artist formerly known as Prince doesn’t want to be called that anymore and insists he be called by his - whatever-the-hell-you-call-that-hermaphrodite -gender-symbol-and-rooty-toot-horn-thingie. Apparently the newspaper didn’t have a font for it because his picture is captioned “Unpronouncable Symbol.”

He’s put out some good music so I give the guy his due but this is beyond arrogance. I personally think he wants people to call him God but it wouldn’t be clever enough to just say so. Still baffles me how such a massive ego is crammed into such a short guy.

Who? Prince?

Wasn’t he big back in the '80s?

Yeah, I think the only reason he keeps messing with his name is because that’s the only way he can keep it in the news. No one cares anymore.

“Trying is the first step towards failure.” Homer Simpson

Speaking of arrogant pop stars, back in the early 80’s, I was totally obsessed with the pop group Duran Duran, especially the bassist, John Taylor. I thought he was the cutest guy alive. A few days ago, he was on the VH1 show “The List”, and boy did he come off as one arrogant, haughty SOB.

sniffle…the love affair is over

Shadowfox
“Most people would succeed in small things, if they were not troubled with
great ambitions.”

• Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)

That’s why you often see him described as an “Eccentric Genius.”

Yer pal,
Satan

sorry guys you have it wrong. Sure he’s arrogant, but this isn’t the best example. you see, under the name prince, he was having a severe problem with his record company. They owned the name prince and the only way to get out of it, was to lose the name. Prince is actually his real name (prince rogers nelson). he picked the symbol because it’s not an ownable signature. if he develops a common name, it may find itself owned also. he’s trying to break the teathers of the music industry, i think any artist can respect that.

The only way to rid yourself of temptation is to yield to it–Oscar Wilde

can you imagine someone else owning your name and saying you can’t use it anymore?

Does this then make him The Artist Formerly Known As The Artist Formerly Known As Prince?

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

Reminds me of our IM soccer team in college:

The Team Formerly Known As Prince.
…sorry. Please continue.

How does one pronounce that symbol, anyway? I, personally, vote for “phthppbbtth!”

God is dead. -Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead. -God
Neitzsche is God. -Dead

I thought his name was Paisley Park.

“Excrement. That is what I think of J. Evans Pritchard, PhD.” --Robin Williams, Dead Poets Society

Chris’ Homepage: Domestic Bliss

Shadowfox – wow, I thought he was cute too! But that was 15 years ago. I didn’t see the interview but I can’t say I’m too surprised! He always had that “knowing damn good and well how fucking good looking he was” thing going on. Is he still cute?

I always wanted to be called a symbol. You know, have one for my name. But around about 17 I realized my folks gave me a really cool name that few people have so I quit my shit about it.

Quit my shit about it.

That rhymes. Should I post that over in the poetry thread?

Best!
Byz

I just want to announce that from now I would like to be known by my new name # but you may address me as The Poster Formerly Known As King.

“Pretentious? Moi?”

I’m gonna come off sounding like a huge prince fan but, how much pretention are you allowed to have if you’re proficient on over 2 dozen instruments.

I actually think people like eddie vedder are worse. where does he get off thinking i care who he votes for, how he feels about tibet?

Lets just call him Arti

Padeye: isn’t that a tie-down point for aircraft on a carrier?

Actually, he looks pretty burned out. His hair looked like it hadn’t been brushed (although it did look clean), and he was wearing these slouchy clothes. I don’t think it’s so much of a “I’m hot!” kind of attitude anymore, it was more like somebody who had seen it all and is now extremely cynical and bitter about it. But, for a 39-year-old guy, he still is pretty cute.

BTW, he has a small part in the live action Flintstones movie coming out next year playing, get this, a Keith Richards type of character. He kind of looks it though. I guess that is what alcoholism and a coke addiction will do to a guy (although he’s now supposedly completely sober).

Shadowfox
“Most people would succeed in small things, if they were not troubled with
great ambitions.”

• Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)

Metroshane… there lives in the Finger Lakes of Upstate New York a gentleman who was born to the name Walter J. Taylor. He cannot use this name professionally. You see, he is a vintner (wine-grape-grower and winemaker) by trade. And he and his relatives inherited the Taylor Wine Co. The relatives, wanting out of the business, sold out to Coca-Cola, Inc. He bought a little vineyard called the Bully Hill Winery and intended to continue in business. Coke slapped him with a suit for marketing wine using his own name, since Taylor Wine was a trademark owned by the company they had purchased, and using his surname on wine was trademark infringement. He now markets under the trade name Bully Hill and signs the bottle labels Walter J.

Padeye: just wanted you to know that I’m quoting you on the “hermaphrodite-gender-symbol-and-rooty-toot-horn-thingie.”

Many snorting laughs are attributable to you today! I’m sure TAFKATAFKAP envisions some different pronunciation, but I say, right on!

Speaking of having names hijacked…a while back “60 Minutes” did a piece on McDonald’s corporate arrogance. A couple of poor but committed Brits took McD on and of course McD went totally nuclear and looked foolish.

But worse, McDonald’s tried to inform the head of the Scottish clan McDonald that the name was corporately owned and to knock off using it. The aristocratic gent was running an upscale version of a bed and breakfast out of the family manse. Apparently McD was afraid that someone would mistake haute cuisine and fine aged Scotch as something endorsed by the golden arches.

Yeah, right. Hamish the butler drifting in silently, single malt on a silver tray: “Would you like a large fry with that? Sir?”

Talk about bizarre…

Veb