Gimmi a new name!

No. I am gonna stay dodgy. I like the name.
This aint a thread telling you “not to change your name” either, cause here at the bords it doesnt really bother me.

But… why do artists always have to change their names?
Prince… sorry… The Artist formerly known as… uhm symbol? What the hell!
But I dont mind that either… I dont like his music -Whatever his name is at the moment.

I like Aphex Twin though. Dont ask me what other names the guy has. I just tried to search Cdnow for his real name: Richard James. But that doesnt give me any results.

Anyhow… after some more searching I found out that a bargain cd (1 bleedin quid!!!) I almost bought was actually by an alterego of Aphex Twin. :frowning:
I hope when I get time to go into the city the next time the burgain is still up… or I am gonna have to pull my own hair for years to come… I am skint. But I could have afforded that cd…

leaves the thread mumbling bitter remarks about people who cant make up their mind
dodgy
formerly known as loony, loons, painkillergal, someone, somebody and moonshadow…

Darn. I was gonna recommend that you change your name to HotChickWithSexyAccent.

FTR - I think name changes suck. Especially when they change to unpronouncable names. People are always going to remember you as the first name you used (not necessarily your real name) so make it something good. Like MC Hammer for example. Who calls him just Hammer. Nobody. Fresh Prince will always be Fresh Prince to anyone who knew him at that time. Men In Black starring The Fresh Prince.

Well, some people out of vanity (Hi, Prince!). Some probably don’t want their real names spread all over the media. Some probably don’t have “showbiz” names and were told to change by their agents. Then we have those either wanting to or told to hide their roots (“Issur Daniclevitch Demsky? Hi, Kirk Douglas!” – “Jan Ludvik Hoch? Hi, Robert Maxwell!” – “Bernard Schwartz? Hi, Tony Curtis!”).

Well, if it’s purely for vanity then I’d agree with you.

Dodgy

Prince changed his name while he was embroiled in a copyright dispute with Warners. He also had ‘SLAVE’ henna’d on his face (as in ‘slave to the record company’). He is fiercely private so most of what we read about him is total BS.

Please listen to ‘1999’ just once before you totally discount him. I’m concerned that there is coolish music that you are not being exposed to because of a feeling.

Bummer about mis-spent music money.

Dodgy!

Prince changed his name while he was embroiled in a copyright dispute with Warners. He also had ‘SLAVE’ henna’d on his face (as in ‘slave to the record company’). He is fiercely private so most of what we read about him is total BS.

Please listen to ‘1999’ just once before you totally discount him. I’m concerned that there is coolish music that you are not being exposed to because of a feeling.

Bummer about mis-spent music money.

Then there is the case of the artist who has a stage name and becomes famous and then goes back to his original name when he hits the big time. Example: John Cougar Mellencamp

[nitpick]His given name is John Mellencamp. His first record company made him go by “Johnny Cougar”. Wanting to be true to his name, he went by “John Cougar Mellencamp” so as not to confuse fans. Now, he’s just John Mellencamp.[/nitpick] (and I’m not even a fan)

Prince was royally (pun intended) pissed 'cause his record company (sony?) was suing him and vice versa. They said they had a copyright on all music by “Prince” so the His Purpleness legally changed his name to a symbol (not at all related to his given name - Prince Rogers Nelson) until his contract was up. He then changed it back.

On this front, Dodgy, I’m not a big fan of his music, but it is incredibly techicnally sound. He writes all parts, guitar, drums, voice, everything. He is also a bit of a PITA when it comes to band members. If you don’t play it his way, get out; he can find a replacement for you by tonight. This is why his music sounds the same, regardless of who the musicians are. Only his stylings change from record to record. I gotta give mad props to anyone who can write all parts to all his songs; it shows lots of musical skill.

In the spirit of the OP, would “Robert Zimmerman” have made an impact with 1962 Greenwich Village, NYC? (granted, the name change didn’t come mid-career)

Oh yeah, speaking of mid-career name changes, it’s usually a bad idea. Peep this…

Jefferson Airplane - Awesome San Francisco band sound. One of the better ones (top 5).

Jefferson Starship - not that great. Trying to project a more modern image. Perhaps they should have just let it go.

Starship - What’s the point?

Oh poor Dodgy…

If you had only known about http://www.aphextwin.nu/ :smiley:

Click on “releases”, and you’ll see EVERYTHING he’s ever recorded whether it’s as Rephlex, Joyrex, AFX, Powerpill, Q-Chastic, Caustic Window, Polygon Window, GAK, Rich, or Aphex Twin. :smiley:

I suggest checking out Mike & Rich: Expert Knob Twiddlers, Mike being the more-popularly named µ-ziq. Very cool CD, with interesting usage of old “big band” samples and such.

So, what was this “mystery bargain CD” you almost bought? I can tell you that it was probably worth it. Most likely, from what I understand a quid being just under an American dollar, it probably was a GREAT deal.

Whew! You scared me there, 'Dodgy. You have one of the best user names on the board, at least in my opinion, and I thought it was going to be all up to me to talk you out of changing it.

In response to the actual purpose of the OP, I have absolutely nothing to contribute. Carry on.

Too bad about the CD, but at least you’re not changing your name. :slight_smile:
Hopefully it’ll still be there. But, as to why artists change their names, I know quite a few artists who have different names depending on what type of music they’re playing. With electronica and genres like that, the DJ/programmer might not be seen on the album cover, and can thus release different kinds of music under different names without anyone being the wiser.

Good Idea, I was thinking about getting a name change also!

JUST KIDDING! I love my name… Even if I DID get it off an X-Files…

You know, Stef, I was also wondering why people feel the need to change their names.

I’m a huge fan of fake brother groups (Ween and the Ramones, for example), so I kinda like name changing in that repsect.

He was called “John Cougar” on his first album. I don’t remember the exact number of albums under each name, but I remember a segue from “John Cougar” to “John Cougar Mellencamp” and finally just “John Mellencamp”. Or are you saying that he switched record companies after the first album?

Rilchiam

I thought about this as I wrote it. I don’t know when or if he changed labels. I just know that the Johnny Cougar thing was brought on by the record company, not John. For some reason, I seem to think that he’s recording on his own now.

Didnt know about the copyright thing in Prince’s case.
:slight_smile: Quite cool that he kicked the companies a**…

Nothing against not using their own names. It is actually quite cool - but it is really confusing when they change it after a while - and then change it again… and again… and again

Thanx for the link idiotboy- you are my hero now. :smiley:

I am gonna be back in Salzburg on Friday… pray for my cd collection :wink:

dodgy

Rilch and Spritle:

We used to refer to him as John Cougar Melonballs. He had the same management as David Bowie (Mainman), and they were looking to do some star-making: the whole silk-purse from sow’s ear thing. That was as much about letting someone else control your image as it was about doing it for yourself.

No…I’m no hero…just a music man. Writing, listening, creating, enjoying, and sharing…

Spritle: Yes, I knew it was the record company’s idea. I was just noting that he was able to reclaim his own name without having a hissy fit.