Asinine Poll: What's more patriotic: To support or to oppose a war with Iraq?

On the front page of Netscape.com there is one of those web-polls, this one asking:

And no other option.

SWEET WEEPING INFANT CHRIST!!! PATRIOTISM HAS NOTHING THE FUCK TO DO WITH SUPPORTING OR OPPOSING THE WAR!!! DIPSHITS!!!

Either it’s justified, or it isn’t. Anyone using patriotism to justify either position is a fucking tool.

I don’t expect much from these polls, but goddamn. You have be pretty fucking stupid to not realize that some people might be using logic instead of jingoism to decide.

It’s not even that simple.

Sometimes there’s ample justification and nothing is done.

And I agree. Both sides of the issue are patriotic in their thinking, it’s just the rhetoric and the way they posture against each other that causes confusion.

Excellent OP. While I am (reluctantly) pro-war, I can’t conceive that that makes me more patriotic. Love for one’s country is not synonymous with blind obedience to its government, something that is more a trait of totalitarian nations like Iraq. Dissent can sometimes be the highest form of patriotism–has Netscape never heard of the concept of the Loyal Opposition?

Of copurse, that’s not the same thing as broadcasting pro-Saddam messages from Bagdad (I’ll bet Jane Fonda has her plane tickets for Iraq as we speak)

If she goes can we start calling her “Baghdad Jane” or do we have to stick with Hanoi? :wink:

True.
Blind Obedience is Un-American.

Jane Fonda’s doing Saddam?!

True patriotism means denouncing reflexive jingoism.

I am moderately patriotic. I also think a war is a BAD IDEA. And at the same time, I support our military. It’s the ones giving the orders that are pissing me off, not the people on the ground.

Should I just leave?