[QUOTE=Auntbeast]
Cuba to me has always been this black hole in the Carribbean. Do Cubans see themselves that way? As distinctly different from their geographic counterparts?
[/QUOTE]
God yes. Cubans are the most ethnocentric group of people you will ever meet. This is partly cultural and partly government enforced. In the government press Cuba is always listed as the first in this and that, and afters years of this it takes hold.
[QUOTE=Auntbeast]
Where do most of the tourists come from?
Can you get Cuban cigars there on the regular market or are they hard to come by?
[/QUOTE]
Most of the tourists are spanish, canadians, and lately italians. What you think of Cuban cigars, Cohiba, Montecristos and so on are not available to ordinary Cubans, they are only sold in tourist stores and are too expensive, the average Cuban makes about $20 a month, and that’s paid in pesos not hard currency. However Cubans can get other cigars very cheaply.
[/QUOTE]
Do you find yourself struggling to speak freely?
What would you like to see happen to Cuba?
What is the average Cubans view of Guantanamo Bay?
[/QUOTE]
The minute I knew I could not be sent back to Cuba I had no problem saying whatever was onmy mind, but before that moment I was still in a Cuba mindset, speak without saying anything and say anything without speaking.
I would love to see any kind of opening in Cuba, economic or political it doesn’t matter. 50 years of the same garbage every single day is enough.
Guantanamo is not mentioned much, unless you happen to be in that part of the country. I think because the fact that the US can have a base in Cuba and the Cuban government can’t do ahything about it does not say much about the government’s power.
[QUOTE=Auntbeast]
What item can you easily get where you are that was unattainable in Cuba?
[/QUOTE]
Milk. I love milk, but could not have it since I turned 8 years old. Milk is only legally sold to those under 8, or over 65, or of course in the dollar stores for $5 a gallon. But basically any food item that you probably don’t even think about, apples, grapes, steak (also illegal to sell in Cuba.)