Ask the guy who went to the Episcopal General Convention

A contingent from my parish was there all day Fri. June 16, and part of Sat. June 17. We observed both the House of Deputies and the House of Bishops at work, attended a luncheon for the Consortium of Endowed Episcopal Parishes (insert your own “endowed” joke here), visited the exhibit hall and were plied with pamphlets and freebies, and attended the Eucharist for 8,000+ on Sat. morning.

Some of us had a chance meeting with our own bishop, Mark Hollingsworth, and I happened to meet Bishop Gene Robinson of New Hampshire, cause of so much controversy, on the escalator! On Fri. evening, I attended a meeting of the committee on canons, but almost nodded off (more my fault than theirs; I was exhausted). The new Presiding Bishop was elected on Sunday, the day after we left.

I’d never been to the National Convention before, and it was a very worthwhile experience. Any questions?

What’s your take on the Presiding Bishop elect? I’m happy with her election because she seems sharp and willing to take on challenges. Do you think it’ll set well with the stick-up=the-butt Anglicans who think the ECUSA is a bunch of heathen apostates? I shouldn’t say that, I know. I’m a bad person.

HEE! I hope they blow a gasket, who am I kidding! :smiley:

I think I’d like to be at GC one day as an observer. Not too sure I’d want to be a Deputy.

Did you get to eat cake and drink tea?

Just as a matter of logistics, how do they handle a Eucharist with so many in attendance? I would imagine there are plenty of priests, deacons, and other servers on hand, but organizing the whole shebang has got to be difficult.

But I can imagine our verger cracking the whip well enough. Whenever I serve as a chalist I get my alb off and get out of there so I don’t have to listen to him criticize, yet again, the performance of the acolytes. We all like things run neat and tidy, “decently and in order” as they say, but I’ve yet to hear the guy come in and tell the kids “great job guys(and gals)!”

Did you not get that Elendil’s Heir said he was at General Convention for the Episcopal church? Of course there was cake, tea and coffee.

Sheesh! I thought everybody knew that next to cocktail hour, coffee and tea hour is one of the most sacred rites of the church. :smiley:

Well I know it is most sacred amongst the CofE ( Church of England, not Chaos of Evil ) sector of the church, but was worried that the Americans might for go such necessities.

Was there much sign of struggle over the homosexual priest questions/decisions or was the atmosphere relaxed.

So, that’s what happened to Mark. He started out at my church right after he was ordained a Priest. And he still has that cool moustache. Now, what I want to know is what happened to Pitt McGehe?

Anyway, I’m rather suprised that we haven’t heard an explosion from some of the African churches, or from the Diocese of Ft. Worth. If our new presiding bishop is qualified then I don’t see the issue, except that Tradition is giving way to the needs of the church and laity. God forbid that human spiritual and historical evolution should
deviate from centuries-old foresight.

ob joke (re: Anglican tea and cake): What happens when you start talking about evangelism in a room full of Episcopalians? They put down their Bloody Maries and Martinis and leave.

Vlad/Igor

I’ll hunt down a link to the resolutions to the Windsor Report in a bit.

First, however, I’ll list the order of the most sacred rites of the Episcopal Church. They are:

Holy Baptism
Holy Eucharist
Cocktail Hour
Brunch, with Sunday Brunch being the Holiest
Coffee/Tea/Cake Hour
:smiley:

Baker’s gonna kick my butt.

Vlad/Igor BWAAAHAAAHAAAHAAA! That was funny!

Ok, here’s a link to the Episcopal Church. Click on the link to General Convention and you can read about the Windsor Report resolutions.

I was a little worried the thread would sink like a stone; thanks for your responses.

I really didn’t expect the election of Bishop Jefferts Schori as PB. Both our bishop and “our” deputy at the convention told me before the election that they would be content with any of the seven nominees; none was anathema (to them, at least). The PB-elect seems like a smart, collegial, low-key person who could do very well in the job, and I wish her well. What amazes me is that she’s gone from layperson to PB in just a dozen years: ordained in 1994, named bishop in 2001, and now set to lead the church. I’m concerned, though, that many in the Anglican Communion will take her election as a thumb in the eye (even though I’m sure it wasn’t intended that way). We’re still struggling with the controversy over gays in the church, and I’d just as soon not have an additional issue which might tend to divide the worldwide church.

I had cookies at the CEEP luncheon, but no cake and no tea. Not even a drop of sherry! :smack:

The logistics of the big Eucharist were pretty impressive. The altar, on an elevated stage at the front of the convention hall, was loaded with (literally) gallons of wine and many baskets of bread. The PB blessed them all and then they were whisked throughout the hall. There were dozens of priests and chalice-bearers who provided the bread and wine to us as we were released by the ushers, by row. It all went very smoothly and surprisingly quickly (and the bread was really tasty!)

The overall GC atmosphere was very relaxed and cordial - despite the differences of opinion that we plainly have, it was all on a very civil plain, from what I saw.

Yes, Mark Hollingsworth has been our bishop for a few years now, and still has his thick, bristly mustache. Don’t know who Pitt McGehe is, though (or am I being whooshed?)

This is somewhat inconsistent with the idea that the reason for elevating women and glb&t in the ECUSA is to be more inclusive. It appears that inclusivity isn’t extended to conservative Episcopalians, then?

There are lots of people whose hearts are breaking over these issues. And you’re hoping they blow gaskets. Nice.

The stick-up-the-butt Bishops who want to allow men with multiple wives to join their churches but cannot abide being inclusive of women, gay men and lesbians are the ones who can blow a gasket. I am aware that there are more conservative members of the ECUSA who are struggling also. By the way they are the ones who do not want to be inclusive. Tell you what, explain to me why it’s ok for them to want to exclude people who are different from them, then we’ll talk.

Are any conservative Episcopalians not allowed to be involved in the ECUSA?

All I’m saying is that if you’re on the side of inclusiveness, you need to be inclusive of all people, turning the other cheek to your “enemies”, so to speak. Gloating about offending people isn’t very inclusive. It makes the conservative people more adamant in their positions - - “See, the so-called liberals want to include everyone but us. At least we’re not being hypocrites about it.”

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

And the so called conservatives want to include everyone but women, gay men and lesbians. I have yet to hear any of them say they’re willing to sit down and discuss differences and come up with a common ground. Instead I see resolutions introduced at General Convention by conservative Bishops and Deputies that want the ECUSA to apologize for giving its approval for the Diocese of New Hampshire to have as it’s spiritual leader they trust who just happens to be gay. Furthermore, I see resolutions that were introduced that called for no more election or consecration of gay men and lesbians. Fortunately none of those resolutions were passed. I also read and heard comments to the effect that the election of a woman as PB would further cause problems for the Anglican Communion from those who oppose women in the ministry. Those are the people who are unwilling to be inclusive in my opinion.

Even still, I hope cooler heads will prevail over the next three years and some common ground can be found. So far, though, it’s those who call themselves conservative who seem to not be willing to work toward seeking that common ground.

I don’t see those people gloating on message boards. And to be fair, if I did, I’d point out to them what I’ve pointed out to you.

These debates are about the future of the church, not about a football game, and neither side has any business going “woo hoo” when they prevail.

Yeah, much better to go around calling for expulsion of the ECUSA from the worldwide Anglican Communion or threatening to leave the ECUSA and go form their own communion.

I will apologize for my snarky remarks about those bishops and others I disagree with. I should not have done that and I know it’s wrong. I really do hope all sides can sit down and come to some kind of common ground, even if it’s a decision to agree to disagree.

On a lighter note, my Priest told me Monday he’s having to eat his words this week. Seems he told a group in our adult christian education group on Sunday morning that he didn’t think the ECUSA was ready to elect a woman as PB yet. He has no objection to Bishop Jefferts Schori, he’s just real surprised she was elected at this GC is all.

Ivorybill, my very conservative bishop, Bishop Robert Duncan of Pittsburgh, is one of the main proponents of splitting. He’s been quoted in the local newspaper as being against Bishop Jefferts Schori’s elevation and is contining to make noises about splitting. Indeed, together with the Bishop of Nigeria, he’s set up an alternate to standard Anglican relief organization. I am willing to extend as much tolerance to my bishop as he is extending to us.

My heart is also breaking over the prospect of my beloved Episcopal Church splitting. Indeed, the church I grew up in was at risk of splitting and, as a result, disintegrating since the area isn’t large enough to sustain two Episcopal churches (the danger appears to be past). The thing is, from where I stand, it’s not the liberals who are promoting schism. If Bishop Jefferts Schori was the best candidate and duly elected at General Convention, more power to her, and good luck. She sounds like she might be what we need right now, and it’s not like there were no other male candidates.

**Elendil’s Heir **, you didn’t happen to catch one Rev. Harold Lewis in action, did you? Also, how can we be this far into a thread about the Episcopal Church with no mention of wine? A friend of mine has enough trouble wrapping his head around the notion of Pancake Suppers; the idea that we serve wine at them just amuses him. :wink:

Is that the Christian thing to do?

I’d say being willing to extend tolerance if the other party is also willing is the Christian thing to do. I believe that’s what Siege is willing to do.