Ask The Teenager II !

After the success of the initial “Ask The Teenager” thread (at the height of all the “Ask The [noun]” Threads) and due to a very complimentary e-mail I recently received, I have decided to start it up again.

I’m on spring break all week, so I should be able to keep up this time (hopefully).

Ask ANYTHING pertaining to teenagers, and I’ll give you an answer from a teenager’s P.O.V.
Qualifications (background):[ul][li]Junior in Highschool of about 1400 (very racially diverse).[/li][li]In some advanced classes, some not (experience with wide variety of students).[/li][li]Hey, Opal. How’s it going? (first time I’ve ever done that. . .)[/li][li]Had two serious relationships (one I’m currently in), and some not-so-serious.[/li][li]Numerous other things.[/ul][/li]
So, ask. I will be more than happy to answer.

What’s the deal with those big pants?

and whats with the hair?

Have you started saving for your retirement yet?

What are you doing up at 04-08-2001 11:16 PM ?

The pants and the hair:
Trying to “be cool.” I know it’s stupid (which is why I don’t buy into it), but a lot of people think it’s what makes them who they are.

My retirement:
I’ve got about 17 savings bonds, plus mutual funds and stocks. For being 17 and not having a job at the moment, I think I’m doing decently. Most teenagers though, I really doubt they have ANYTHING like that saved up.

What I’m doing up so late:
It’s SPRING BREAK. You’re SUPPOSED to stay up. It’s like a law or something.
Keep 'em coming!

What’s with you kids and your drugs and your rock and roll music?

Can any other teenagers answer these questions? Ive read some of the responses and they are good but dont really apply to all teenagers. I was wondering if i could put in my input as well.

My qualifications:
[ul]
[li]Junior in high school of about 800[/li][li]Live in rural community in Missouri[/li][li]Take a lot of math and science (not too many advanced courses available)[/li][li]Experienced in love[/li][li]I’m a Hispanic female (okay it might not have anything to do with anything…)[/li][/ul]

Can any other teenagers answer these questions? Ive read some of the responses and they are good but dont really apply to all teenagers. I was wondering if i could put in my 2 cents as well.

My qualifications:
[ul]
[li]Junior in high school of about 800[/li][li]Live in rural community in Missouri[/li][li]Take a lot of math and science (not too many advanced courses available)[/li][li]Experienced in love[/li][li]I’m a Hispanic female (okay it might not have anything to do with anything…)[/li][/ul]

Another teenager checking in. I’m a bit younger than the others, so that might provide you with a different point of view.

[ul]
[li]8[sup]th[/sup] grader in middle school of about 1500[/li][li]In gifted classes–our classes are ahead of some 10[sup]th[/sup] graders I’ve talked to[/li][li]Live in a small city in South Florida[/li][li]No serious relationships as of yet[/li][li]Filipino-American[/li][/ul]

Hey, Queenie!

• Is 8th grade as hellish as it was when I was a kid, back in the Taft administration?

• Why the heck did you choose to name yourself after an insane evil bitch like Queen Isabella? Unless you mean Isabella of Hainut or one of the other French consorts . . .

• Do teenagers still start smoking “to be cool?”

-12th grader at a Bay Area school of 1600
-experience with several sports
-no advanced classes
-760 verbal SAT
-going to UC-Santa Cruz next year

People wear them because they’re cool.
Why are they cool? Dunno, maybe they’re supposed to be “prison style” or something.

Short hair is really popular where I live. It’s easier to deal with, cheaper to cut, and is popular among twentyish celebrities.

I have about $40k in an account earning about 6%, but that’ll probably go towards school. My income is so small that I think I’d be better off if I start saving once I have a real job.

Just trying to piss off old people while taking advantage of our healthy bodies and lack of a reputation to tarnish.

It seems like an easy way to make friends. Loan a cigarette, huddle behind the gym together, bitch about how the parents are keeping you down. The people I know who smoke are not exactly the popular kids, but I’ve never asked them whether they thought it was cool.

I too am a teenager and to tell you the truth…i don’t have answers to any of those questions, except the retirement on to which i say "I’m still saving up for a friggin car, why the BEEP should i be thinking about retirement now?

-10th grade
-International Baccalaureate (advanced classes)
-School of about 3,000 (race breakdown similar to entire USA)
-Central Florida

Re: smoking
I’ve known kids who’ve taken up smoking to gain friends. I think drinking is still the most abused substance among high school youth.

Re: clothing/hair
The majority of the people at my school wear similar clothing. The Abercrombie & Fitch polo/shorts combo is popular among males. Girls style changes too frequently for this post to accurately reflect upon the issue.

Re: stuff old folks complain about
You did it when you were a kid. Heck, where do you think we got the idea for the last Woodstock?

Re: saving up the cash
I, too, have savings bonds and mutual funds. I’m banking (heh) on a scholarship for college, so this money will hopefully go untapped.

-11th Grade
-Taking College Prep Classes
-School of 600
-The “Sticks” of Connecticut

Just posting my qualifications. I wanna be a part of the Teen Task Force too.

Do you hate your parents?

Does anyone older than 21 understand what it is like?

What was the last “classic” that a mean old English teacher made oyu read?

Just like your bellbottoms or the 80’s fad of the shield of hairspray, our baggy pants and crazy hair is just a fad. One day it will move on…

Uhm… NO! What happens if i died tomorrow? All that money i would have saved up- GONE! I do have about 1,000 to my name, and my grandmother has a whole seperate account she enters money into… but other than that, no. I spend my money to go on trips, I started an online clothing store with my sister, retirement is not on my mind. If I become as successful as I hope to be, then i won’t need to worry about retirement money.

Hell no. I love them dearly, sometimes they severely piss me off because they don’t seem to know the pressures of today’s youth, but I know that at one time, they felt the pressures too.

Oooh, Billy Budd by Herman Melville. Man, o man, I could tell you ANYTHING and EVERYTHING about that book!

[QUOTE]
whats with the hair?

Its the exact opposite here, shaggy shaggy hair…

Hmmm… we have drunks and potheads running around, people losing their virginity on a daily basis, the occasional bomb threat, underage drivers stealing their parents’ cars in the middle of the night and killing themselves (true story), people bringing guns to school, and the constant pressure to be “cool.” I’d say it’s a pretty hellish place.

I named myself after an insane evil bitch because I am an insane evil bitch. Bwhahahahaha.

I’m sure that’s the reason for lots of them, but the people I know that smoke aren’t the kind of people who feel like they need to be cool. Lots of them started out of curiousity.

At times, but the relationship seems to have gotten better.

My parents sure don’t seem to, I’ll tell ya that.

To Kill a Mockingbird, and we’re about to start the Oddessey. (did I spell that right?)

I’m not going to have access to a computer for the next 5 days, but I don’t think that will be a problem, seeing as there are plenty of other qualified teenagers here that will be happy to answer your questions.

Why are all you whippersnappers in better investment plans than I am? Why can’t you all just go smoke or drink or do drugs or something?

Not to take any of Garf’s limelight, but I’m available for questioning, too.

Qualifications:

12th grader at a small high school (500 or so) in rural Alabama.
What few honors courses we’ve had, I’ve taken.
A few very serious relationship, several not-so-serious.
General noncomformist, pseudo-rebel.

Any questions?

(The last classic I read was The Mayor of Casterbridge, but I read it of my own free will.)