Ask the Teenager!

Dantheman asked :“Do you like MTV as it is now, or would you rather like to see music videos make more of a comeback?”
Some of MTV now is great, I admit. I even watch it occasionally. However, some of the stuff on there is a COMPLETE waste of time. Examples of this are Real World and Road Rules.

Wearia asked: “Why do teenaged girls wear so much makeup? I mean, a little is ok, but after a while its just ridiculous.”
Make-up can be a lot of fun! But I do agree that less is more where it is concerned. Every time I see someone with too much makeup, I can’t help but wince. I think that part of it is that most of us want to look older, and don’t seem to realize that that much makeup just makes them look like a child playing dress-up. I generally try to be a little bit subtle, unless I’m dressing up for something or in a play.

Chickenscratch asked: "Why do some teenage girls shriek & squeal when they see each other? Is their joy at seeing their friends that irrepressible, or is it an attention-seeking gesture? Is it a contest, where the loudest squealer wins the new N*SYNC CD? "
I really can’t explain this one. I admit that I squeal, too, but it’s kind of an involuntary thing. I’m not conciously thinking “Oh, I’d better squeal!”

Cmosdes asked: “How do you keep teenagers off drugs?”
I’ve never even considered doing hard-core drugs. I’ve always thought of them as a bad thing. My parents pretty much raised me as a good kid. If you flat-out tell a teenager “don’t do drugs” then they may go out and do them just to be defiant. Try making sure that they hear news about overdoses. Also, I heard about some parents that got their kids drunk when they turned sixteen, so that they could experience the terrible effects in a sheltered environment and never attempt it again. I myself have never been drunk.

“How prevalent are drugs in schools these days? I know they are everywhere, but that doesn’t mean a majority of teens are doing them.”
Most of my friends don’t do drugs, or smoke, or drink, or any of that. A guy I was involved with for a short time did, but that’s another story. Smoking tobacco is pretty common. Also, I’ve frequently heard stories of people smoking pot in the bathrooms. The majority of teens have tried it, but only a few actually continue with this behavior. As for other drugs, I don’t hear all that much about them, but that may be because I am with a good crowd. Alcohol, however, is VERY much in use. At least half of teens do some drinking.

“How do you foster that open communication without turning into nagging?”
My parents have pretty much always been there for me, and let me know it. If I want to be left alone, and they persist in bothering me, that can be nagging. Just make sure to ALWAYS be there when your kid wants to talk when they are little, and you will form a bond. If your teen doesn’t want to talk, don’t be too distressed. If she/he has something to tell you, she/he will get to it in his/her own time.

“How do you keep teens from having sex?”
Whoa, tough one. I feel that my parents have probably done the best job possible raising me, and I’m a pretty good kid, but to be perfectly honest, I have considered having sex. I have also decided that I should wait a little longer. If my parents had demanded “Don’t have sex” there’s a pretty good chance that I wouldn’t still be a virgin today. There’s something in teens that makes us defiant. However, my mom is pretty cool. She sat down with me one day and told me that she has nothing against premarital sex, so long as it is protected. By not attempting to influence me one way or the other, she gave me the clear-mindedness that I needed, as well as reminding me that if I did choose to have sex, I should use some form of protection. Basically, you can’t tell a teen not to have sex. They have to make their own decision. What you can do is make sure that they know about protection. Keep a box of condoms somewhere where you know that they will find them, so that if they ever do decide to have sex, at least they won’t have to worry about medical consequences.

“How do you encourage hard work on school?” Lots and lots of praise when they are little for good grades. My parents did that, and to this day I work really really really hard for my grades.

Handy asked: “Yeah, I want to know why girls go around with their bare belly’s showing all the time? Like three inches of bare flesh right around the middle. Hmm?”
Well, I have to say that I do this. For one, it’s the style. Low rider pants and short shirts. I actually think I look rather cute in them. It’s also considered kind of sexy.

Jenner asked: “Do you feel ready to be an adult? Are you anxious to graduate high school/go to college/get on with your life?”
No, I think that I need to stay in highschool for the three years I have left. I’m still developing as a person, and I would like to keep that going. Also, I don’t feel like an adult yet.

“Are you nostalgic for childhood or are you glad it’s over?”
There are times when I look at something and it brings back a memory from childhood, and yeah, I miss some of that. However, I think we all tend to not think about the bad parts of the past, and focus on the good. Now, I’m having the time of my life. Friends, guys…it’s great.

“How’s your self-image? Do you like yourself? Are you happy with your physical appearance?”
My self-image is pretty good, although I tend to be critical of myself, always seeing my flaws and always wanting things to be better. I got a B on that last math test? So what if everyone else got a D. I should have gotten an A. Physically, however, I’m relatively confident. My skin is finally starting to clear up, my hips are a little wide for my taste, but not bad, my stomach is flat, my butt is firm, my chest is average, and many guys find me attractive and tell me that I’m sexy and gorgeous.

“Do you think about where you’ll be 10, 20 or 30 years from now?”
Yes, I think about that alot. 30 years from now is almost frightening, because I will be as old as my parents! 10 years from now I will probably be in law school, in 20 a lawyer. As for my love life, I’m not sure. I’ll probably get married somewhere along the way, and then adopt some kids (so many abandoned children out there, why bring more kids into the world when so many all ready need homes?).

“What’s your number-one goal in life right now?”
Success. My parents are driving into me the fact that I need to get good grades, and I agree with that. I strive for as many A’s as I can possibly get. (perfectionist overachiever here). However, I also want to balance that with my social life, have time for friends, guys, clubs, and acting.

“Do you think depictions of teenagers on TV and in the movies are accurate?”
Not really. In the movies each teen is depicted as a certain stereotype. “the evil one.” “the slutty one.” “the innocent one”. “the horny one.” “the naughty one.” However, not many of us have such clear-cut personalities. We’re all a little bit naughty, many of us a little bit innocent. We all have an evil side, and a nice side. Another difference between us and the movies is that in the movies, teens are portrayed as constant partiers and trouble-makers. Most of us aren’t like that, but then, our lives wouldn’t be interesting enough to make a movie out of. (although recently, mine could have been a soap opera…)

At what point did you start to ‘hate’ your parents and not keep on listening to their sage wisdom?

Well, in general, parental involvement with teenagers is an interesting topic. I will also provide a disclaimer: I am 17. I am not normal. With that said, i can say a few things about my circumstances that may be of help.

First of all, my parents are very strict and enforce rules. When those rules are followed, benefits increase, when they are broken, they decrease. Greatly. My dad is my very best friend, because he doesn’t treat me as a lesser person that is not knowledgeable about anything, but rather an equal. He doesn’t always look over my shoulder, but he doesn’t ignore either. I think that many times what goes on between teenagers and parents is a huge gray area that is hard to decipher. One must look heavily into the conditions of both perspectives.

Chicken Scratch! Oh my God it’s you! I haven’t seen you in aaaages. Have you changed your hair? It looks fabulous!

flips hair

giggle

perk

The original Ask the Teenager thread.

The bigger and better Ask the Teenager II thread.

CURMUGEON WARNING: The surgeon generally has determined that people with delicate sensibilities should not read this post. Do not read this if you are operating heavy ideals or illusions.
OK I’ve got one. Why do you think teenagers (of all ages) are almost totally uninterested in the things which are really going to matter in their lives and instead are obsessed with trivialities.

That is, not interested in learning how to find a stable, helpful compatible mate but being interested in looking for a thrilling romance. Not being interested in developing a useful, practical skill to which they can satisfactorily dedicate their working life but being interested in trendy occupations or whatever will support a consumer (or anti-consumer) lifestyle. Not interested in understanding history or collective psychology so that they can participate intelligently in the political life of their society but following every goofy trend that’s marketed to excite their emotions. Not interested in the great works of art and philosophy which inform and enlighten but instead obsessing over trite doggerel set to music and fairground rides masquerading as drama. Not bothering to learn the practical aspects of everyday life but instead retreating into fantasies where their feelings and needs are more important than material reality.

But hey, I’m talking about the way it was when I was a teenager. That was a long time ago, people were different then, dinosaurs roamed the earth et., teenagers are undoubtedly much better now and none of this happens any more. They have become wise and self- knowledgeable and we should listen to them.

Hmm. Male teenager, 18, checking in.

I’ve been a larval computer geek since my first 2 5.25" disk, no hard drive mean computing machine. I now attend the college with the best computer science department in the state. What was your point again?

Other stereotype: I haven’t smoked, done any drug, had any sexual relations where pregnancy or STD transfer could result, and the extent of my alcohal consumption has been a cup of wine at a friends bat mitzva. Nya. To answer your question: most teenagers are idiots. Since they have been sheltered by their family up to that point, only the most dedicated idiots manage to completely screw themselves over. Once you’ve made it to adulthood, many of the real idiots have weeded themselves out.

Thanks, monica!

So do you think that MTV is geared more toward kids younger than you?

Uncle Toby , my take is that its all perception. Sure from your point of view losing a boyfriend or girlfriend isn’t a big deal in the long run, but to a teen it is a big deal. Your old enough to see that people change and move on, you’ll get over your crushes and old wounds heal. Teens however don’t have the benefit of experience. Everything in their personal life is a big deal. They could care less about whats happening 2000 miles away, all that matter is that your girlfriend, your first love, dumped you. Sure you’d look at that and say, so what? There’ll be other girls. But to a teen that doesn’t matter. There is a certain amount of self centeredness that goes away in time.
Teens focus on trival pursuits because they pay off better. You can force someone to be interested in something. If you don’t want to hear about history, you won’t listen. And even if you do it won’t stick. You can’t expect people to be interested in what you see as important. If a teen went on about their favorite video game and told you amount the temple of lost souls that you have to destroy with the pick axe of light would you care? Or would you stare and think “I have no idea what he’s talking about”. Same thing with history and polictics. Teens just don’t find it interesting.
As far as art and music go, its once again perception. You can’t expect everyone to be moved by the same things. Modern music does on the other hand have its great works. They just go unappreciated.
The teens going into fantasy lives is becoming a problem. I just watched a documentary on it called “First Person Shooter”. Basically it was about a group of kids addicted the “Half-Life Counterstrike”. It was sad to see because these kids throw their life away for a video game. What are they going to put on a resume? “Uh, I played a lot of games”.
Oh and I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I’m a teen as well. I still can’t comprehend that make up though. Ick.

What is the deal with wearing pants or shorts so they fall about midway down the butt? I see guys doing this more than girls but a few girls do this as well. Why?

I had an exercise for my students in which they were asked to describe the perfect day. More than half of my students wanted to sleep all day. Why?

Thanks.

You will not diss Counterstrike!
Ahem. Sorry. Computer geek, ya know.
And part of it is that we’re wacked out on horomones. It’s like a quarter-through-life crisis.

Wearia

I couldn’t agree more, except about the value of the sort of culture teems seem to like. Even the best of it is no more than a repetition of things which have been said and done better before. Perhaps we’re at the end of culture.

I also think there is a lot more to it than what you see, though your observations are quite insightful, maybe there’s hope after all. 

Perhaps the real point of my post was mistaken, which was to question the value of asking a teen anything which called for a thoughtful answer.

Always happy to have my inner curmudgeon proved wrong.

As I was a teenager not too long ago, I’d like to add some input into this post. I think as a teenager, I made mostly good decisions, but I think one of my major problems was a lack of self-esteem. I didn’t have very many friends, but felt that I should have a lot of friends, and be popular, and so I’d be depressed that I wasn’t. This effected my grades and other facets of my life. Now, granted, it didn’t ruin my life or anything, but oftentimes I think back if I could go over it again without being so self-concious about what other people think of me I would have done much better. I’m an intelligent person, I like to read a lot and am knowlegeable, but none of that really seemed to matter with the people I used to hang out with. I guess I probably was hanging out with the wrong crowd. I never drank or did drugs, even though it was around me, in High School. Never had sex, either. I had the irony of having parents with very little trust of me, even though I never did anything to break their trust. But in the end I turned out fine. Right now I’m in college, and do much better now academically.

14-year-old chiming in…
Jacksen9:

1. It’s “hip” (pun intended). I guess it’s because it’s currently popular… I personally can’t see why. I hate the feeling of my pants slipping off.
  2. If your students are anything like my friends and me, they probably stay up at least half the night chatting and playing games online with their friends, and the other half frantically trying to make up their overdue homework. Then, they have to wake up nice and early to go to school, where they remain for most of the day. They’ll definitely want to catch up on their sleep.

Caught@work asked, "At what point did you start to ‘hate’ your parents and not keep on listening to their sage wisdom?
I don’t hate my parents. What parents have to realize, however, is that some stuff we need to figure out on our own.

Uncle Toby asked, “Why do you think teenagers (of all ages) are almost totally uninterested in the things which are really going to matter in their lives and instead are obsessed with trivialities.
That is, not interested in learning how to find a stable, helpful compatible mate but being interested in looking for a thrilling romance. Not being interested in developing a useful, practical skill to which they can satisfactorily dedicate their working life but being interested in trendy occupations or whatever will support a consumer (or anti-consumer) lifestyle. Not interested in understanding history or collective psychology so that they can participate intelligently in the political life of their society but following every goofy trend that’s marketed to excite their emotions. Not interested in the great works of art and philosophy which inform and enlighten but instead obsessing over trite doggerel set to music and fairground rides masquerading as drama. Not bothering to learn the practical aspects of everyday life but instead retreating into fantasies where their feelings and needs are more important than material reality.”
Whoa! Hold on a sec! First of all, I would like to state that I think everyone has a bit of a romantic side. It’s not just teens looking for a thrilling romance. As for preparing for my future, I work my butt off to get good grades, as well as making sure to do extra-curriculars that will look good to colleges (i.e. secretary of the gifted advisory board). I also plan to be a lawyer, and over the summer did an internship at a law firm. I also have a major interest in history and psychology. As for an interest in art, I happen to be able to appreciate good art when I see it, and am very into the performing arts (theatre.) I also can join in adult conversation, no matter what the subject matter, and am able to comment on political situations. I also happen to immensely enjoy pondering philisophical questions, and am in tune to the realities of the world.

Dantheman asked, “So do you think that MTV is geared more toward kids younger than you?”
I think that it is starting to be that way, although it bothers me that such young kids are watching inappropriate material. However, I have an 11-year-old brother who watches way more MTV than I do.

Jacksen9 asked, “What is the deal with wearing pants or shorts so they fall about midway down the butt? I see guys doing this more than girls but a few girls do this as well. Why?”
I think that the guys doing this look absolutely ridiculous, and prefer a more clean-cut guy. As for girls doing this style, I think you might be describing low rider jeans- tight pants with a waist-line very, very low. The reason girls wear this is beause it is the fashion; also because it is difficult to find other stuff.

“I had an exercise for my students in which they were asked to describe the perfect day. More than half of my students wanted to sleep all day. Why?”
Probably because we are so used to getting up early in the morning to go to school (I have to wake up before sunrise) that it would be nice to catch up on sleep. If I were to describe my perfect day, however, it would be more along the lines of spending some time alone with my guy, and then some time with my friends, maybe going shopping, to a movie, or to the beach.

jacksen9:
“I had an exercise for my students in which they were asked to describe the perfect day. More than half of my students wanted to sleep all day. Why?”

Because sleep is such a wonderful, wonderful thing. Everyone I know seems to be running on a permanent sleep deficit after school, extra-curriculars, job, homework, and so on. Then, school starts so early (7:30 AM here) and it’s just all-around Not Fun.

But I’m not so sure if sleeping is my idea of a perfect day. Maybe if I was sleeping with nice feather pillows and a down comforter on one of those wonder-mattresses, only to wake up and realize that it’s summer and I don’t have to go back to school for another three months. As I’m already counting down the days until my winter break after a mere three weeks of school, this really does sound like a perfect day. I think I’ll reconsider.

Monica

As for romance, well I did say teenagers of all ages.

And it would appear that my closing remarks were accurate, things are very different now assuming you are a typical teen. This is the only reason I can see that you would bill yourself as a ‘teen’, otherwise why not "ask the legal intern’? If you didn’t want to be taken as typical you would appear to be a bit confused.

This leads to the question of why you take exception to my remarks. The way I see it you are either a typical teen and so only need to agree with me that everything has changed or you are an exceptional one with little in common with her fellows and so no really entitled to speak as a representative. It would appear you are confused and perhaps not quite as clever as you seem to think. Perhaps you are a typical teen after all.

Y’know Toby, I think that was uncalled for. Monica opened this thread to share her perspective, not to be chastised. I’m not a teen anymore, but I do remember that one of the few remaining perks of youth is a license to not have to be an adult and worry about the dull (though very, very important) shit that we adults carry around with us day-in, day-out. We have the rest of our lives (50 years and counting) to be practical and responsible. Cut the kid some slack, huh?

Monica (and other teens),

What are the most prevalent criticisms of adults (parents or otherwise) by your peers?

I apologize if I border on the offensive. Honestly my goal was to make people think. I did give a curmudgeon warning.

I don’t agree that teens should live in a ‘grace period’ before real life. I think that just leads a lot of people to think they shouldn’t want to grow up, that it’s something they ‘have to’ do. Growing up is when real life begins everyone should want to do it as soon as possible. Liberty without responsibility is bad for you and everyone around you. The idea of even wanting to put off responsibility, which our culture is drenched in is deeply wrong.

Uncle Toby, don’t worry about it. You are forgiven. Actually, a lot of teens are as you described, but a LOT of us HAVE changed.