Attention California Dopers - Early June 2022

Some of you may have run across my Jack Batty - Traveling Doper thread. If not, you’re in for a treat. But here’s the long and the short of it … right now I am in Joshua Tree. I will be leaving by noon headed toward San Diego where I plan to spend two days - I check in today, I was hoping to go to the zoo tomorrow, and I check out the next day.

At that point I’m heading to L.A. where I will be staying for an entire week … the 5th through the 12th. My only solid plans are to catch as many comedy shows as I can - there’s one in particular on the 11th in Burbank that I’d really like to catch: Jimmy Pardo, Shaking Off the Rust.

Other than that, I’m not sure what sort of L.A. / Cali Doper scene we’ve got cooking anymore, but I’d love to meet up with a few of you if it’s in the cards.

I don’t have anything booked after L.A., but I’ll most likely spend at least two days in San Francisco as well. It’s where I used to live and I haven’t been back in twenty years, so I’d really like to spend some time in The City and see what’s going on these days.

So, that’s the big announcement: I’m in California. It’s a big deal for me. Here I am. Entertain me.

Well, that means you will be driving by my town on the way to San Diego. Wave when you drive by. Actually, you’ll be taking another freeway just before you get to our city limits, but close enough for the Dope (assuming you are doing 62-10-60-215-15).

I think you’ll find San Francisco (and indeed, much of the Bay Area) only barely recognizable after 20 years.

No doubt. I can’t wait to see if there’s still a methadone clinic next to my favorite Blockbuster.

If it was in the South-of-Market area (once a rather seedy area), probably not, as the area has been extensively redeveloped and is now rather upscale, with modern big hotels and convention centers (I think) and such.

If it was in the Tenderloin, a skid-row area, I think that probably hasn’t changed much.

Disclaimer: I live about a 2-hour drive away from SF and have hardly been there at all in the last 20+ years, so everything I think I know about SF might be wrong. I do know that there is much in the overall Bay Area that I can barely recognize any more.

BTW, have you noticed the nearby current thread by bobkitty, who is seeking suggestions for their planned San Diego to San Francisco trip? There are plenty of ideas there, some of which perhaps might be of interest to you.

ETA: Here’s the thread: