Attn DC Dopers, Metro shuts down tonight for 29 hours

Breaking news, but the DC Metro will be shut down tonight at midnight for the next 29 hours for safety inspections. Not a drill, not an April Fool’s joke. In Unprecedented Move, DC’s Metrorail Closes for Emergency Safety Inspection – NBC4 Washington

Holy moly. I know we have plenty of staff at our school who take Metro. Ain’t likely we’ll have the subs to cover.

I’m betting OPM at least allows for liberal leave, if not traffic is going to be insane tomorrow. I had already planned on taking a sick day to go fishing, but now my wife will need the car because she has friends in town and they had planned to meetup using Metro. So, no fishing and I might have to actually do some work (shudder).

Wait… the whole thing? All the lines at the same time? :eek:

Yes, that’s what it seems like.

Still waiting for OPM to say anything. I’m hoping liberal leave and unscheduled telework myself!

That’s rough, but if it’s enough of a problem to require a total shutdown and inspection it’s probably for the best that it’s happening.

Lucky that I saw this before I left today, so I could bring home my computer. Telework tomorrow.

Egad.

I work from home - but was scheduled to go to a meeting west of town mid-day. Hopefully the even-more-insane-than-usual rush hour will be lightening up by then.

Typo Knig works the other direction on the Beltway - but his commute will probably be “enhanced” by the overflow as well.

It’s not my usual telework day tomorrow, so I didn’t bring my laptop home. I can drive in, but if OPM says the government will be closed I guess I have an unexpected day off.

DC schools are open, so I’ll be spending a lot of time in the car tomorrow.

FML, this is one day where working from home doesn’t help me.

Status: Open with Option for Unscheduled Leave or Unscheduled Telework

Then I don’t get to sleep in. :slight_smile:

And I am in DC for a meeting and need to get from Dupont Circle to Reagan tomorrow during rush hour to fly home. Gahhhhh!!! Wonder how bad the uber surge pricing will be.

Unprecedentedly high.

I’m sorry. That sucks.

Lyft is providing a $20 off coupon.

Downloading now. I’ll try a taxi from the Fairfax first, then Uber, then Lyft. Wish me luck!

Uber said it would cap its surge pricing at 3.9 times base fare.

Especially on a weekday, with so little notice.