Australian cuisine: the title of this Guardian article caught my eye:

“Snot block”?? Really??

Vanilla slice = snot block

Really.

Am rather partial to them, myself.

Mmmm … Australian meat pie.

A quick, easy, and tasty snack, especially if you do it the way my Australian host demonstrated: take the squirt bottle of ketchup that will always be nearby, plunge the spout into the pie, squirt ketchup into the pie until it bulges, and enjoy. Messy, but oh so tasty!

Haven’t seen this misspelling of Grauniad before.

Steak onion and mushroom meat pie (from the bakery not the supermarket) with dead horse is divine.

Lamingtons, vanilla slice, hot sugared jam donuts, sausage rolls, so many treats I miss. But if I were to leave here it and go back to Australia I would miss more stuff from here.

I wouldn’t have thought of either a vanilla slice or a meat pie as a specifically Australian food, but then I’m from the UK and both are a standard item for us as well.

Yes, I don’t think we Australians think they are unique foods that we invented, just that they are typical Australian fare. You can get a meat pie anywhere, but not a spotted dick. :stuck_out_tongue:

No, and just for clarity, I’m not suggesting Australians claim them as uniquely Australian, just that from a UK point of view (and a lot of shared cuisine) they seem a lot less Australian than, say, barbequed seafood.

OK I get it. But for frame of reference, my high school tuck shop sold meat pies at lunchtime but no bbq prawns.

Breakfast[s] of champions!

Made me the man I am today. etc etc

Commercially made and bakery pies made in Australia and NZ [single meal size] are different to the big plate-sized pies I’ve seen in the UK. A range of fillings is now normal - my local place makes about a dozen, and has maybe 6-8 on offer at any one time. Current favourite - lamb.

Same for South Africa, although it’s a “custard slice” here and just a “pie”. Single-serving pies are a very common low-cost fast food.

Now, a pie floater? That seems to be a particularly Australian abomination.

Individual pies in the UK are pretty much an established thing and have been for ever. The big pies are an exception not the rule.

Here’s a famous UK range that covers a lot of ground.

And I speak whereof I know, my first job as a 16 year old school leaver many decades ago was in a local butchers and bakers. My main job was making pies. Individual pies including meat and potato, steak and kidney, lamb and veg, egg and bacon, pork, cheese and onion, chicken and mushroom, sausage rolls, rabbit and mushroom, even venison and veg when it was available. Plus many more that I’m sure I’ve forgotten.
Fun fact. My wife-to-be used to come in every morning and buy a selection of my fresh baked wares for her and her workmates. She didn’t know me at the time but even before we met she couldn’t resist a nibble of my tasty morsels.

Yes, that’s definitely an Aussie quirk. It is a bit extreme but I endorse the idea. My dad ran a fish and chip shop in the UK, pies and mushy peas would be a standard order but actually submerging the pie was very much not the norm. Those crazy Aussies just take it that little bit too far. Mind you, having had a rather delicious pie floater in Cairns whilst being stared at by a pelican, I reckon the covering of peas may well be a defensive mechanism against birds eyeing up the pie.

They look okay. Do they sell them in warmers and ready to eat from anywhere? They seem to be pitched as take home and heat product. Did your future missus get hers all hot and ready to go?

I used to work for a UK company that manufactured pie-making machines.

Basically, a conveyor with various attachments to dispense a foil container, mould a pastry lining, fill it with whatever, and apply a lid. We shipped them all over the world and Australia was the biggest market by far. One of these machines could make a thousand pies an hour, 23 hours a day and some bakeries had several of them.

Some pies were baked straight away, while others were frozen raw, for shipping out to remote towns.

We sold several to Canadian bakeries too, but they were problematic because Canada had strict rules about food machinery - From memory, nickel in the steel was bad and the sub frame had to be stainless steel instead of the usual painted steel.

They are currently made by http://crypto-peerless.co.uk/shop/pie-and-pastry-moulding-machines-and-dies

In various cafes and stalls they have them ready to eat (and chip shops of course) but “okay” is the right response here. They are mass produced and, as I’m sure is the case in Australia, the locally produced and hand-made pies are where the real action is.

She is as fond of a double-entendre as I am, as you can imagine, the area of teenage hot meat is a goldmine of filth and innuendo.

I could see it with a nice meat broth or similar. It’s the pea soup (with tomato sauce) part I can’t be having with. I’m OK with mushy peas, on the side.

There was an Aussie meat pie fast food place in a nearby food court, but it never seemed particularly busy unfortunately. I doubt it survived the pandemic.