Auto glass question

I have a 1997 Dodge Neon. Around the windshield and the back window, there is this black strip of plastic on the outside of the car that covers the place where the glass meets the car. Unfortunately, this strip of plastic is starting to come off on both windows! It’s looking really bad around the windshield (it’s come off the entire passenger side, and I have to tuck it into the pasenger window when I drive so it doesn’t flap around), and I would like it to be fixed.

I took the car in to the Dodge dealership for another repair on Friday, and I asked the mechanic if they could glue this stupid stuff down while they were at it. He looked at it and said that they couldn’t do anything about it and that I would have to call a glass shop.

Here are my questions. The mechanic implied that this stupid piece of plastic is the thing that holds the glass on! Is this true? I’m doing some initial research into the problem on the internet this morning, and I’ve found a website that says that this thing is mostly cosmetic. If it is just a cosmetic problem, can I glue the strip back on myself? What glue do I use? How do I do it? Would it be better to call a professional to deal with this problem? The glass itself is fine, so I doubt my insurance would cover anything, right? Oh, and is my safety really being compromised if I drive around with this thing unfixed? Why would all this stuff fail at the same time?

Thanks for your help. Even if it’s just cosmetic, I want to fix this before winter comes. It’s been held off for the moment, but it’s coming soon!

My dad has a neon with the same problem. He used silicone sealent/adhesive to fix it. It’s still fine a year later. If the strip is not too badly mangled that should work fine.

Make sure that all parts are dry and clean before you start. you can get silicone sealent in black so it won’t show. And you don’t need to put too much.

you could go the pro route but it will probably cost. These places are never free.

d

DMAAN is right.

I’ve watched a number of windshields being replaced while I’ve waited for the boys to do my passenger-side window. The plastic strip merely masks the real, albeit ugly, adhesive sealant that really holds your windshield in place and keeps the rain out.

Just get more sealant and glue the plastic strip down. The stuff that the guys at the glass shop use comes in caulking-gun style tubes and dries rubbery-hard just like silicone; but because it did not seem to have that characteristic vinegar smell it may not be silicone after all.

Bottom line: silicone will probably work fine, but you may want to get a small tube of gen-u-wine windshield adhesive just to be sure it sticks right.

(Oh, “gen-u-wine” is not a brand. It’s just me being a smart-ass.)

Thanks for the replies, you guys.

Turns out that the local auto parts store sells a “gen-u-wine” tube of “3M Weatherstrip Adhesive” (black) just for this particular problem. If this does not work, I also have a roll of black duct tape :).

I would prefer you take it to a glass shop & have them reinstall the windows. Also check with Neon to see if there is a recall on this so you might get it done free.

You see, if the window isn’t tight when you run into something its going to come out right into your face or it might not keep you from staying in the car. They did a special on tv about this once.

Always good advice.

Nonsense.

1. It’s already been mentioned that the strip in question is not what’s holding the window on.

2. The glass is bigger than the opening. If it did come loose, there’s no way it would fall INTO the car.

3. The windshield is supposed to keep you in the car in a crash? Funny, I thought that’s what seatbelts were for.

Handy, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone being sucked out of their car because the windshield popped off.

Unless you drive at 30,000 ft. altitude. And if you can do that I’d really love to own the same car as you. :slight_smile:

d

I know, I know. You said in an accident but the image of a guy flying out the windshield was just too much for my poor head to hold, I had to get it down.:smiley:

d

Well, the keeping you in the car part is nonsense.

However, some (I don’t know the design of the neon) of the trim strips are T-shaped in cross section. With the upright of the T pressing into the gasket/seal around the window. With this design, it is imperative that the trim be in good condition and fully seated in the rubber around the window. The purpose here is to artifically swell/spread the rubber seal to make the window fit so tightly in its frame that it cannot come out.

Missing pieces of this could cause window retention problems.

“if the window isn’t tight when you run into something its going to come out”

Anyone reading what I said? If its not tight it can come out. duh. No surprise there. handy is right, a tight window keeps the window from coming out. amen