Autumnal Equinox

Happy Equinox! :: Blows party thingy ::

I think technically not until later today. What the heck, we can celebrate anyway.

(confetti)
(Although I am actally not fond of autumn.)

But the autumnal equinox is so depressing, at least for the majority of us that live in the Northern hemisphere. It’s the most depressing of the four season markers.

At the winter solstice, the Sun turns north and the worst is over. At the vernal equinox it crosses back into our hemisphere with promises of longer days and better weather. At the summer solstice the Sun turns south, but summer and the best weather still lie ahead.

But the autumnal equinox? Another summer over, and six months of bleak days ahead. Nothing to celebrate here.

No way, Freddy! Autumn means that it’s harvest time, and all that sweating under the summer sun finally pays off in apple cider and pumpkin pie. It’s a great time to be outdoors - the leaves are changing, and it’s cool enough that hiking won’t leave you a sweaty mess. Afterwards you can sit around a campfire as the air gets crisp and enjoy the spooky Halloween ambience.

I’m with you, Spiratu. The hot weather is over, the holidays are just around the corner. My favorite time of year. Whoohoo!

You said it Spiratu

I’m with Freddy on this one. The September holiday (such as it is) is done. Nights are getting longer. There is no holiday in October to look forward to, other than Halloween at the end – a festival of death – how cheering. Things are dying all around us. Bleech.

Yes, that’s correct. The observatory here in Sydney gives the time of the vernal equinox as 8.24 this morning (Friday) i.e. in about 15 minutes’ time.

I like autumn. The beginning of it at least, when it’s still mostly warm, the air is crisp, and dusk is chilly but not cold enough to require a coat. Plus it’s soccer season.

Oh, yeah, I love Fall! I just put my first Halloween decoration up on my door today: a funky Dollar Store witch riding a broom. I can’t wait to decorate the rest of my apartment. I usually do it October 1st, but I just couldn’t resist hanging the witch today.

Mmm, time for pumpkins and crunching through the leaves and putting my Halloween costume together (Fallen angel this year, complete with real sword. Whoo-ee!!) and flea markets and apple festivals. Man, I love fall. Even if it does mean winter’s right around the corner. I consider it the price I have to pay for such a lovely time beforehand.

:smiley:

It’s times like these that I’m glad I live in Australia. Bring on the Summer time! :stuck_out_tongue:

As others have indicated, my plans involve sacrificing a considerable amount of beer to the beer gods, and a chicken may end up lacking a few parts of its anatomy.

Thank you, chicken gods!

:smiley:

And on the subject of if this is all a Good Thing or not, all the “autumn” going on, I am actively looking forward to the shorter, colder days, the streets swept with snow and ice, my beloved pine trees alone in their resplendent evergreen…

Mmmm, winter…

It was over 100 degrees today in Dallas. Does this equinox mean it will finally cool down?

I’ve never looked forward to a day so much in my life.

My birthday was yesterday, and sometimes the equinox falls on the 21st, so I usually look forward to it. :smiley: Plus, I like autumn!

Yeah, at happy hour today we were saying that it’s not supposed to be in the 90s on the first day of fall… :slight_smile: