Vernal equinox - farewell winter; hello spring

The vernal equinox occurs at 2.30am tomorrow (Sydney time). Spring has arrived. The weather is warming up and all of the trees and flowers are blossoming. I love this time of year. :slight_smile:

And here, on cue, it is snowing heavily. It was 85 degrees F two days ago.

Now, that’s just mean.

Why do you associate equinoxes with changes in season?

Suddenly I see Martin standing naked in the middle of his wrecked pool, singing Summer Days.

sigh. One hemisphere’s spring is another’s autumn, I suppose. :frowning:

Same here. Saturday I was outside working in a tee-shirt.

Yesterday, we got about 10 inches of snow.

Do you mean humans in general, or the OP?

Because if you want a lecture on the motion of the Sun on the ecliptic and solar insolation, then I’m your huckleberry.

Yah, rub it in, bastard.

Grumble, grumble, grumble.

Astronomically speaking, spring is considered to begin at the vernal equinox.

I agree that colloquially, it’s often a bit different. For instance, in Australia, spring is usually considered to be the months of September, October and November.

I have never heard an astronomer make such a statement. The onsets of seasons are very much a locally determined unofficial social concept. In the US, many take summer as Memorial Day thru Labor Day. The Irish summer starts far sooner. The US NWS uses June, July, August, etc. The only people I know that use the solstices/equinoxes are clueless TV weathermen and uneducated calendar makers.

In this part of the world, winter more or less starts around the beginning of December and drags on until around April. Then you get some slush, and the weather warms up, but you don’t get much in the way of leaves until mid-May. Summer starts up in short order, and then usually lasts a very long time (jams in October). Then FWUMP the leaves are down, but the nice weather lasts until winter is good and ready to come in.

Oy. Nitpicky, much?

The equinoxes (I have yet to figure out the proper plural for that…) and solstices arrive at four evenly spaced points in the year. The roman calendar year is divided into four seasons. Coinky-dink? Uh, no. Or didn’t you ever wonder why the weather changes so close to the equinoxes and solstices?

Anyhow, it’s my favorite time of year, too. It’s becoming Autumn, here, but as it’s Central Georgia, it’s a gorgeous time. The sweltering heat has finally given way to cool mornings and a crispness in the air, seemingly overnight.

Right now, I love it, because I have no A/C in my car… that 4@60 air conditioning actually does some good, now. Plus, it means my birthday is soon!

Oh, and Matt, I made the mistake of visiting your beautiful city at the WRONG time of year. I left 80 degree Florida to travel to Montreal in FEBRUARY. I thought I was going to die.

From the website of the Royal Observatory at Greenwich :

The vernal equinox is the instant when the Sun is above the Earth’s equator while going from the south to the north. It is the time which astronomers take as the definition of the beginning of Spring.

But that’s northern hemisphere spring. What’s coming up (already here?) is southern hemisphere spring.

I wonder how many other north hemisphere dwellers opened this thread thinking it was the wrong equinox…

Anyway, this means the time is drawing near when the bright stars of northern winter will be visible in the evening. Yipee! Then again you southern hemisphere types get bright stars year round.

Well, it’s not lethal (at least my winnipéguien ass doesn’t think so) but it’s not for the timid.

The summer, however, is juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust right.

Ahh yes. It got to 26 degrees the day before yesterday…

It’s twice as exciting for me because I bought a house last autumn, so I’m getting to see all the bulbs come up that I didn’t know were there, and my wisteria has a white wisteria grafted to it, so I have purple and white flowers on the same bush. All sorts of surprises.

Which reminds me, time to plant the veggie garden.

Sadly, we here in Saskatchewan didn’t have summer this year. We had two weeks of spring in late July, and then it moved straight into fall.