Avatar (Pre-release speculation)

I’ve only seen footage, trailers and a scene on Letterman last night, on my television set, but the CGI doesn’t look very advanced to me. I would have expected the next advancement to bring it closer to me not being able to tell real from CGI. It all looks very CGI to me.

The scene shown on Letterman with the female character interacting with a flying creature didn’t look as real as the scenes in the Harry Potter movie from a few years ago when the actors interacted with a CGI griffin-like creature.

What’s wrong with CGI? *The Incredibles *was CGI.

The Incredibles didn’t try to blend CGI with reality and that’s the difference. The CGI I have seen in the previews seems to be trying to mix the two together. If the whole movie were CGI, I don’t think I would have cared, but the fact that it’s blended with reality, well it just looks disjointed.

This is, of course, just my opinion.

I have not yet decided. I love 3D, but for whatever reason this has not caught my interest at all. So far I’ve read really good things about it though. I will wait I think, catch the buzz and maybe see it in a few weeks.

I have been a 3D nerd since about 1981, but it’s only recently that they’re starting to make 3D movies that aren’t crap.

I really enjoyed Coraline - a great movie on its own, and a great implementation of 3D. I was buzzed about it from the time I first saw the trailer, bt nowhere near as excited about it as I am about Avatar.

Having read as much as I can about its development, I don’t think it’s that overhyped. I had a little hesitation when the crappy trailer came out, but that was mostly down to 20th Century Fox being in bed with Apple and obligated to use Quicktime, which somehow hasn’t imrpoved much since the early nineties. Made everything (including live action bits) seem distractingly fake.

This looks to be a huge spectacle, and Cameron’s track record for making entertaining movies is pretty good. My wife and I rarely get out to the theatres these days (10mo old baby cramps the schedule a bit) but the sitter is booked to see this, because for damn sure it’s not going to be one to wait to watch on DVD.

Apparently, according to witnesses, that is less noticeable in the cinemas, and even less again if you see it in 3D. And if you get caught up in the story, you won’t care anyway.

I already have my tickets with like eight people for Friday at 10:30 AM.

No to both questions. I don’t understand why any adult finds the idea of seeing blue CGI people exciting, but obviously YMMV. I don’t go to see Pixar movies either.

Because there’s more to a movie than the medium in which it’s presented?

Then again, I’m no fan of anime, so I guess I can see where you’re coming from.

Years in the making, millions of dollars, supposed to revolutionize the moviemaking process…and the aliens look like some kind of fruity elf I could make with Morrowind’s character creator. I think I’ll wait for this to be on an HBO channel.

Count me among the perplexed. The CG stuff doesn’t look like a significant advancement and the story doesn’t look particularly interesting. With the characters and the concept of a battle between tech type combatants versus natural type aliens, it all seems like Jar Jar all over again. Meesa no want to endure that again.

I just don’t know. It looks pretty, I guess. But having seen that trailer (and this isn’t the first time I’ve seen it), I feel like I’ve already seen the movie. I mean, every major point of story progression is in that trailer. Every single one. All that remains is the outcome of the final battle, and I think I have a pretty good guess at that.

I don’t think I’ll be in line on opening night.

I wonder if people felt the same way back when about Terminator 2 or Aliens 2. Ah, I’ve seen it before, doesn’t look like there’s anything new (and what’s with that fakey-looking silver guy, sheesh?). I might see it if it shows up on TeeVee.

I want to see it. I’m not a huge James Cameron fan, but I certainly re-watch Aliens and The Abyss. 3-D is nifty, and from the trailer online that was linked upthread, it looks like a thrillride.

I think I will drag my husband out to it. 3-D! 3-D! 3-D is cool!

We’re in our mid-forties.

:smack: That was redundant.

Double-post, sorry.

I don’t know, most of the CGI movies I’ve ever seen have been all shiny, but thin on plot.

As to Terminator 2, I can say that I and my friends did not feel the same way. The effects there were truly groundbreaking (without requiring IMAX, which was good, since we didn’t have it), and it was expanding upon a movie (The Terminator) that had been a rather modest release without a great deal of hype that became quite popular. Also, I don’t recall it being featured on 60 minutes as the greatest movie ever that will completely change filmmaking.

Aliens? Hmmm. I recall there being excitement because Alien had been so great, but I don’t remember there being the same kind of hype. I did go on a date to see that - I do remember that aspect fondly.

You know, I did not go to see either **Aliens **or Terminator 2 when they were in theatrical release. I stil haven’t seen Terminator 2.

I suppose I need to turn in my fanboy decoder ring.

just got a ticket to a preview show tonight at 21:00. Seven hours and I’ll know if it lives up to the hype. I’ll report back with non-spoliers tomorrow :smiley: