Aversion to cucumber and melon?

GASP

I also HATE cucumber, melons AND watermelons! And people always consider me odd :expressionless: I find them bland with a somewhat bitter taste. Ugh. I don’t mind pickles though.

I don’t like all of those too. Now I know that there’s a reason! Especially cucumbers. If they’re in something, they ruin it for me even if I pick them out.

There are such things as bitter melons, or even poisonous ones (depending on the species). There are versions of lots of vegetables and fruits with toned-down flavors for super-tasters/hypertasters/whatever. There are “burpless” cucumbers for those whose G.I. tracts apparently hyperventilate on exposure to normal cukes.

For those with palates too sensitive for regular tomatoes, try white or other pale-skinned types, which have essentially no flavor that I can detect. Small yellow pear tomatoes are especially tasteless.

I anticipate the next big thing in prepared foods (after the gluten-free phenomenon) will be tasteless foods. Come to think of it, they’re most of the way there already. :slight_smile:

Cucumber is incapable of adding freshness. It can only add puking and gagging. It contaminates all food with which comes in to contact.

Cucumber tastes like watermelon rind, and you’re not supposed to eat that.

You know, I’ve never actually met a person in real life who reviled cucumbers? Didn’t care for them, yes, but someone who gagged when the cucumber is brought to the table? Never seen it. I may start carrying one around with me to wave at people to see if I can smoke one out.

Some might like the texture or crunchiness or scent of a food, even if it has little taste.

I like cucumbers and melons well enough, but edamame, ick, most horrible food ever. I was intrigued to find soy products on the linked “supertaster” wiki page.

One of my weirdnesses is that I adore pickled cukes, but can’t stand them raw. The power of vinegar and/or lactic acid, I guess.

You can smoke a herring, but you can’t smoke a cucumber.

So good to hear other people having problems with melon and cucumber - my family have ridiculed me for years, although my eldest daughter does have the same problem. Generally we all love our food and will try anything.

There is just one other food that I cannot tolerate … Celery. And I can detect it in any dish! Nobody seems able to understand this.

At 50 years old, I seem to have recently developed a quite severe allergic reaction to gherkins …although I like them. Interestingly I have never had a reaction to Macdonalds gherkins and I’ve had plenty of them over the years.

If anyone can make any more sense of this, I’ll be grateful! I’ve been told there’s a link to my hay fever / rag weed allergy which again has developed only very recently.

My husband has the same aversion to melon and cucumber. I don’t know if he’s a supertaster or not, but he has a rare ablilty to smell very small amounts of cyanide. Might they be related?
I know the cyanide detection is genetic. Maybe all of you who can’t stand melon should check in with Home Land Security and see if they have an opening. Oh, never mind, they’re closed.
Seriously, hubby was headhunted for a DoD project just for this ability.

Hmmm… I can’t stand melons, am indifferent to cucumbers, and love squash, which is interesting since they’re all related.

I don’t have that “Poison!” reaction to any of them – though I do have a similar reaction to many fruits, especially peaches, raspberries, and strawberries. (Maybe I’m fructose intolerant?) I hate beets, and as I said I’m indifferent to cucumbers, but other than that I’ve yet to encounter a vegetable that I don’t love.

Had a cat that I swear got stoned from cantaloupe… craved it but would get all weird like with catnip. Drooling, hyper, paranoid… it was scary. Whatsup with that?

That’s interesting, 2 year old post, because I’m quite fond of broccoli and spinach, and I don’t find their flavors overpowering at all. I eat around the cucumber in a salad and endure the residual flavor it has left on everything it has touched, but I wouldn’t recognise that a dish even contained spinach unless I saw it.

I’m quite certain I’m not a super taster. I just find the taste of cucumber distinct, overpowering and unpleasant.

It is soooo nice to hear I’m not in this world alone - LOL I get the strangest looks when I tell people I can’t stand the taste of cucumbers and melon (okay, I do like watermelon, but it is the only one). Somebody mentioned being able to eat cucumber if it is enclosed in sushi…I poke it out with my chopstick. Can’t stand the crunch or the flavor. I’ve gotten to the point when I’m at a restaurant of telling them that I’m allergic to it. Keeps the odd looks and comments of “how can you not like it, they don’t taste like anything”…Anyway, thanks people…I feel human again - LOL

Cantaloupe = makes me literally vomit
Watermelon = meh, the seeds & texture turn me off, but it tastes OK
Cucumber = nothing. Marinate in salt/vinegar and it’s pretty good.

So that’s my data point for you… nothing interesting, except I don’t meet many people like me who literally get nauseated at even a whiff of cantaloupe/muskmelon.

Well, the oral allergy syndrome thing for cucumbers is real. However, mine only rears its itchy head when I’m concurrently bedeviled with the corresponding pollen allergen. Cucumbers in the winter are fine. As far as flavor, to me there isn’t much, but they can be a bit bitter close to the rind in large fruits. The best, freshest, sweetest ones I ever tasted were yard-long (also known as burpless) ones I grew one year that got frost-kissed.

Other oral allergy syndrome items that have bothered me at times are turnip roots, carrots, cabbage, strawberries, walnuts, kiwi fruit, celery, melons, and pineapple. The problem (itchy soft palate, tongue, and gums) only happens with the raw items. Cook them, and no reaction occurs. That’s too bad, because I really like raw turnips, carrots, and cabbage.

And I’m the opposite - love fresh cucumbers, but NO NO HELL NO to pickled cucumbers of any type. Sweet, dill, whatever, they all taste like nasty, sour poison to me.

So glad I found this board. I thought I was alone. People think I’m some kind of nut because the smell of cantaloupe or watermelon makes me sick. So many people tell me that I can’t smell lettuce or cucumbers. I can tell when lettuce has been taken off my bread.

I don’t really like cucumbers, although they don’t disgust me, and watermelon’s ok, if not my favorite.

I can’t get into cantaloupe/muskmelon though. They smell like they’re starting to rot, and that grosses me out.

Because its extremely subjective, you have to take the the definition extremely loosely.

Because you object to a food that doesn’t actually taste really strongly, the pathway is the same, the supertaster pathway between a bitter taste and “revolt”.

That is, you objectively measure the taste as not strong, but your brain kicks in with a subjective" OH yuck !".