Avoid a traffic ticket by ignoring the police and pulling into your garage?

Only if the perp is a diplomat and he just ran onto the consulate grounds, but I think that’s out of scope for this discussion.

The British actor, David Niven, had an issue with the police shortly after he came across to the US to make movies. He had been out at a party one night, and a cop car came up behind him with its lights on, but no siren, which, in England at the time, apparently meant “I’m in a hurry to get some where; speed up so you can get out of my way.” He did this. Turns out that was not the practice in Southern California, which was especially unfortunate as he had been drinking…

Yes.

But see, Welsh v. Wisconsin: http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=466&invol=740 (Warrantless, nighttime entry of petitioner’s home to arrest him for a civil, nonjailable traffic offense, was prohibited by the special protection afforded the individual in his home by the Fourth Amendment) (N.B. *Welsh * does not really address the hot pursuit doctrine–the court found the state’s hot pursuit claim “unconvincing because there was no immediate or continuous pursuit of the petitioner from the scene of a crime”)

and then see, *e.g., * People v. Thompson, 38 Cal. 4th 811; 135 P.3d 3; 43 Cal. Rptr. 3d 750 (2006) (reviewing law nationwide: courts limit *Welsh *to non-jailable offenses).

Thanks, Gfactor, that looks like exactly the sort of thing I was looking for!

I love this idea. “You can’t ticket me! I’m on BASE!” Unfortunately, reality isn’t a school yard game of tag!

Nothing to add, except that “halffast” is an excellent eggcorn. :slight_smile:

Not so sure: maybe the cop was feeling tired or already had the quota for the day or was just about to complete a shift so didn’t want to pursue the ticket/arrest for some reason.

Of course I wouldn’t rely on laziness.

Almost. Happened at my Dad’s Army base- it was a Nike Hercules base and entry was heavily controled- guards had loaded guns, dogs, etc.

The Local PD was out to get the guys from the base over something (Ithibk there had been a Base vs PD sports game, accusations of “ringers” ect), and they had been catching the guys nearly every day- speeding, whatever. One guy had a hot car, and instead of pulling over, he accellerated and pulled into the base, whereupon his buddies closed the gates. The PO claimed hot pursuit, the guards claimed Top Secret base, the guards had bigger guns. Of course the ADA contacted the AG, but after the Base Commander explained the problem to the AG, the “perp” was given only a mild write up. The AG said the ADA had nuthin without a Federal warrant and there was no wat to get one of those over a speeding ticket.

However, he did have to stay on the base for 3 days and even then left in another guys car.

Not as extreme, but a similar thing happened to me. My stepfather was in the Army, and I lived in Fort Sheridan, IL when I was in high school. One time I was driving along Sheridan Road in the neighboring town of Highwood. A cop had been following me for a mile or two–it turned out that I had a burned-out brake light, and he was following me to confirm this and pull me over.

When I got to the base entrance, I put on my turn signal, applied the brakes, and turned into the base. The cop immediately turned after me, and flipped on his lights. I stopped for the gate guard, who told me to sit tight. The guard went back to talk to the cop. After a few minutes, he came back and told me that the cop wanted to write me a ticket.

The gate guard told the cop that he did not have jurisdiction on the base, that he didn’t turn on his lights until I had crossed onto federal property (and thus could not claim hot pursuit), and that he (the cop) could pound sand. :smiley:

The guard then told me that I should probably get the brake light fixed before venturing back off base.

Of course, the opposite is also true. I once worked at a group home for developmentally disabled adults. One of my co-workers had a boyfriend who was a pilot. We went to his base for a tour. When we arrived at the gate we found out that the plates on our van were expired (the vehicles were maintained by the company that ran about 10 group homes in the area). They wouldn’t let the van onto the base with expired plates, but they also wouldn’t let us leave the base with expired plates. Did I mention that we had six developmentally disabled adults in the van at the time? Yeah. That was fun.

The Guffey case provided by Gfactor is pretty much how Ohio law treats these situations, too. In some very minor cases, I could see an overstretched/tired/lazy cop just writing a summons and not taking defendant into custody, but in most cases he or she will keep coming after you in hot pursuit, “home base” or no.

Don’t take legal advice from someone who’s not a lawyer. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been talking to a client in jail who I’ve told something that they don’t like, such as “no, the search was legal, can’t challenge it” or “the state has a pretty strong case, what with your confession and all”, and he tells me, “but the guys in my block said…”. I always tell them that there’s a reason that they send us to law school instead of, you know, PRISON before they let us practice law.

There are all kinds of urban legal legends out there. My faves include: a penny in your mouth will defeat an intox (it won’t); the DA is legally required to give you 3 plea offers (um, no, he doesn’t even have to give you one); and if you ask an undercover officer 3 times if they’re undercover and they say no all 3 times, then it’s automatically entrapment. That leads to some amusing undercover audiotapes- “Are you undercover?” “No.” “Are you undercover?” “No.” “Are you undercover?” “No.” “Ok, here’s the dope. That’ll be $600, please”. Then when they slap the cuffs on, “But I asked you 3 times and you said no!!”.

I’d think that if someone had ACTUALLY used this technique, they would be able to remember whether it had been once or more than once.

Those are some doozies. A useful quotation for considering such arguments: “Some people believe with great fervor preposterous things that just happen to coincide with their self-interest.” Coleman v. CIR (7th Cir. 1986), 791 F.2d 68, 69.