Axis and allies token solutions?

For anyone who has played the board game axis and allies, you must understand the frustration of token-tracking. Some of the most important zones are too tiny to fit 3 units on! The game’s built-in token-tracking system (those little chips with a single token on top) just doesn’t cut it, when so many zones (like the Caucuses, or Southern Europe, especially with the tiny sea zones all around it) can’t even fit more than 2 or 3 stacks of tokens on them, and they also have industrial complexes and anti aircraft guns to track. Even BIG zones like the sea zone next to Los Angeles can get swarmed by a dozen sea units, especially with the carriers and fighters, making it necessary to tell the opponent “I know this token looks like it’s here, but it’s really over there” and the very-understanding adversary saying “yeah, I know” because he understands just how impossible it is to actually place all the units where they belong.

So if you’re an Axis and Allies veteran, how do you solve the zone-crowding problem?

1. The really small zones have boxes around the edge of the board for putting the units in.

2. If you’re building up multiple stacks of the same kinds of units in places like the Caucasus, you must be playing the game weird, because units on the Eastern Front should be getting chewed up as fast as you can build them.

3. One idea; When we played our games we never bothered placing industrial comnplexes and AA guns on capital zones, the Western USA, or any other place they started. Everyone knew they were there, and the occasion to have to move them is so rare as to be very noticeable.

That’s not necessarily the case; I’ve played in some games where people piled up units for a long time, especially German and Russian stacks. But it’s true that there’s a tendency to suffer defeat-in-detail if you split up Karelia, Caucasus, and the Ukraine.

We sometimes used a 3x5 card in extreme cases and wrote the zone name on it. Usually, though, we just crammed them in, using pennies, nickels, and dimes to enumerate big stacks.

The worst, though, is an opponent who either obsessively or “helpfully” keeps reaching into your units and “making change.” I’ve played against people who can’t leave multiple little plastic tanks or planes in a space; they have to have just one and some markers underneath it, even if it’s MY unit. The POINT of the game is to play with little plastic tanks, not poker chips! This is completely egregious meddling and would justify retaliation if we weren’t already waging total war against each other. :slight_smile:

Worst case ever: someone who wanted to merge my airplanes during my air attack. They came from separate zones, flew into one zone to roll dice, and this guy wanted to “make change” even though it delayed the die rolling and the planes were about to split up and fly on to different landing zones as soon as the dice stopped rolling.

My New World Order will have no room for such small-minded people!

The index card idea is a pretty good one. In my game, Russia was able to hold off the Germans, and the Japanese navy crushed the Americans and was preparing to unload troops into Western USA. Those conditions might be rare, but not so rare that we can just ignore the possibility of it.

ETA: Caucuses didn’t have multiple stacks of the same type of unit. At the height of the war, it had 5 different types of units, an industrial complex, and 2 anti aircraft guns (to avoid having the gun in Moscow captured by Germany). That was way more than the zone could fit.