b.c.pill users only

i’m not american so the brand i’m on at the moment (Dianette) isn’t available to you, it’s not FDA approved, but i’m happy enough with it.

it’s a high dose (35mg) oetrogen and anti androgenic compound, usually used for skin complaints.

no cramps, no PMS, light periods, clear skin, no weight gain, mood stabilising, i love it so much i wrote a thread complaining when my GP tried to take me off it!

my breasts are slightly bigger, but not tender, and my sex drive is slightly (and i mean slightly) decreased…which is no bad thing.

i’ve been on lower dose oestrogen/progesterone compounds and they’ve been HORRIBLE!
very heavy periods, migraine, weight gain, depression, aggravated cramps, spotting, everything!

the worst was Microlite, lower oestogen (15mg) but the progesterone compound used made me throw up, everyday. so i KNEW it wasn’t going to be effective as birth control. i finished one packet and then stopped!

i HAVE to be on the pill, otherwise i have a 24 day cycle with a 7 day period which is heavy, accompanied by depression, nausea and really bad cramps. nobody wants that!
since i’m 20, with a BP of 98 over 68 and no history of breast cancer or DVT in the family i’m happy to continue as i am for a good few years to come.

Yes, I had thought that women over age 35 were not supposed to be on the pill becasue of health risks, but my Gyn told me thta was back when and its safe now, which is good.

Been on numerous types, so this could get involved -

Started out Triphasil 21, went fine for a while until I started t get a lot of breakthrough bleeding, switched to Demulen, tried for three months, bled the whole time. I tried a few others (names escape me) but always had the same problem until… (fanfare)

Diane-35

What a wonderful pill, skin cleared up, no bleeding problems, everything was fine. Still get migraines, especially during my 7 days off, but I usualy did.

Eh, <b>irishgirl</b>, please tellme you meant 35 micrograms (mcg) and NOT 35 miligrams (mg)!!!

I don’t think 35 mcg is really considered a “high dose” (you can still get 50mcg pills here) but more of a “moderate dose.”

I’m on Ortho-Cyclen, and I’ve only been on it for about 3 months (just finished my 3rd pack). So far, though, so good. My sex drive has stayed the same (moderately high), my moods have been consistent with what I’ve experienced before (a little down the week after my period). I was on Depo-Provera (the shot) before this, and I had NO physical sex drive almost, horrid mood swings, and no period (guess which I DIDN’T mind).

Since being on these things, my blood pressure’s gone up a bit, which bugs me for no good reason, 'cause it’s still within normal bounds, but I LIKED having low BP. Also, my period’s a lot heavier, so I take a multivitamin with iron.

yep, oops. i get over enthusastic and forget to check these things! and 35mcg is about as high as they let people go on here, especially when it’s unopposed by progesterone.

i wonder if Poysyn’s Diane 35 is related to my Dianette…

just remembered that one of the brands that made me feel horrible was Microgynon (Levlen). that was not a fun time… i’m with Tansu on that one

Just a quick FYI- a lot of pill have “placebo pills” that are actually iron supplements (hint-often they are green) so if you continue to take them you do get the benefit of the iron, but that may be why people see side effects with the placebos.

Quick bump to ask the question- is it safe to start Triphasil 28 in the middle of my cycle, or do I have to wait for my next period? I know that I’m supposed to wait, but ideally I’d like to use it to push my period back a little- it’s going to come on my wedding day, or maybe a couple days later. I really, really don’t want that.

Please? I need to know urgently.

I was on tri-cyclen for 2 years - no bad side effects other than having no sex drive whatsoever! It made my periods a little lighter and cleaned my skin up a bit, which was nice.

I’ve been on micronor for a year and a half now since my baby was born - still no sex drive though. I probably shouldn’t blame that on the pill anymore, though. I can’t really say what it’s done to my period - I’ve only had one since I’ve been on it, and that was two months ago. Gotta love that breastfeeding!

When are you getting married? I did something like this when I was getting married. Leave yourself a few months (three or so) for your body to get used to the change and be prepared for a period from hell the first month. Talk to your doctor about it, I’m sure they can advise you. Good luck and cogratulations

(glumly) I have 24 days. Damn. Damn. Damn. I’m getting married on the 28th. Work’s been difficult about calling me in- I wanted a doctor’s appointment last month so I could get started.

sigh.

No sex until after the honeymoon. I’m going to roll in self-pity, now.

Your wedding is only a couple of weeks away, isn’t it? It takes a while for the pills to become effective, and as corvidae said, your body may do some strange things as it gets used to the hormones, so I don’t think you could necessarily count on the results. I’d say definitely call your doctor and tell him/her exactly what you said about wanting to delay your period and see what options you have.

Congrats on your wedding :slight_smile:

Simulpost. Sorry. But I’d still say to at least call your doctor to make sure this is accurate information. Hey, this is important! :smiley: Good luck!

Oh, I do know that you can have sex while menstruating, but I am not going to do it in a bed in the fanciest hotel in Ottawa. I bleed very heavily for the first four days, and pretty heavily for the next three.

Ugh.

Thanks, De Marie.

I was on Ortho-Novum when I lived in the US and I’m on a pill called Cileste now. I’ve been on the pill for about 13 years in total (took some time off here and there when I was too poor to afford it). I absolutely love it - no bad side effects whatsoever.

I’m on Yasmin. It actually doesn’t make you gain the 5 pounds you usually gain on the pill. I’ve been on it for 3 months now and have actually lost 4 pounds without extra excercise or dieting.

So I totally reccommend it, especially if your weight is a concern for you.

Liss: My doctor and nurses said no way should you start the pill unless its right after your last period.
I never tried it, but I would listen to them.
They also said not to keep taking them and skip a period.
The Alesse seem to have slowed the flow some, a good thing.
I will be on them 3 months now and next week will know for sure whether its a medium flow for good.
I think this’ll work, but I sure wish menopause would hit soon.

Opinions vary on whether it is ok to take the pill continuously to skip a period, but my Dr. has given me the ok to delay it before, and also told me it was ok to stop the pill a few days early to make my period come sooner. However, when you first start the pill you do have to do it right after your period, you can’t start in the middle of a cycle. Also, my Dr. told me to be on the pill for at least 2 full cycles before relying on it as my only form of birth control.

Have you looked into using a diaphragm or menstrual cup during your wedding and honeymoon? You’ll be able to have clean sex!

I have skipped right over a period by simply not taking the week off (The placebo week). I just finished one pack of hormone pills (3 weeks) and then started on the next 3 weeks the next day. This was with advice from these boards, as well as a quick questionning of my doctor. A lot of people do it, especially if their period tends to fall at awkward times. For me, I was on a cycle that had me having my period during Frosh week (I’m a Frosh Leader), the week leading into Thanksgiving weekend (which ruins the weekend a little), the week from Christmas to New Years (how much does THAT suck), March break, AND my birthday. That gave me enough reason to reschedule my period! The only (somewhat) down side is that it now falls during the second week of my exams, which sucks a little, but at least I don’t have to worry about it at all through Christmas.

As for STARTING the pill at an “off” time…well, I don’t think its advisable to do that.

vanilla - my mom says the same thing about menopause starting…though she doesn’t even have her period to “let her know” due to a hysterectomy years ago. She relies on a doctor each year to tell her yea or nay! Shes 50 now, and it’s still nay…

you’re supposed to skip the period if you miss a pill in the last week of your cycle, or would otherwise have reduced cover (stomach upset, antibiotics) as there are supposed to be 7 consecutive pill days after the “oops” day.
hopefully someone understands.

and as long as you have a “period” once every 3 months, no harm, no foul.

i also bled VERY heavily on the first pill i tried. it was microgynon, a 3rd gen pill with 15mcg of oestrogen.

although i’m now taking dianette with 30mcg of oestrogen, my periods are lighter than they have ever been in my life.

go figure.

keep trying til you find one that suits, sometimes what works is counter-intuitive, so try EVERYTHING!