b.c.pill users only

This is my third month on Mircette. Last month my period started near the end of the third week (when I was still taking “active” pills). I thought that wasn’t supposed to happen until after I was done with the last active week. I figured that maybe my body was still fighting for control over hormone levels (since it was only my second month). Has anyone else had that problem?

Other than that, it’s great. My periods are a lot lighter, don’t last as long, and the cramps aren’t as bad. I just hope that I get to a more predictable cycle–so I know when to bust out the not-so-nice underwear.

I just got switched to Ortho-Cyclen so I can do the skipping-periods thing. My mother is seriously jealous. My motivation? I’m getting married in May and you just KNOW that it would be one of those weeks. Now, if I have anything to say about it, it won’t! Ha ha! Beat ya, uterus! :slight_smile:

Has anybody else had migraines during their periods that started after some time on a particular pill? My nurse practitioner was mystified when I went in last month after ten months on Ortho-Tricyclen and reported migraines during my last two periods. I don’t know if it was a weird side effect or what, but if I know it’s going to happen, I think I can deal with it.

ha. I know to the hour when I am going to start.
Hows that for regular?
I was never regular before.

I’ve been on Mircette for a couple of years and I love it.

On other pills (Alesse and Othro Tri Cyclen and Ortho Novum are all that come to mind-I’ve been on prolly 8 different pills) my flow was EXTREMELY heavy–super tampon plus pads at all times. And it was a full 7 days long as well and made me very anemic. I had to take the iron pills which made me nauseous and also had the lovely effect of (TMI warning!) turning my poo green. Blecch. Lots of very painful cramping, general upset stomach for the entire week before, etc, etc, etc.

Then I got on the Mircette and it has been a dream! Period starts Friday, ends Sunday and pretty much the only real “period” is on Saturday. Very, very light flow (I use those little baby tampons that I used to laugh at!), minimal cramping, and just a bit of moodiness two weeks before which I am able to recognize and handle accordingly.

My period before the pill was highly irregular (anywhere from 2 weeks to 5 months) and heavy. We’re thinking about a baby next year, so I may go off the pill as soon as I’m done with the last pack. I’ve been on the pill so long, it will be interesting to see what happens to my body, periods, moods etc. Wonder if I’m any different without controlled hormones?

lissla, maybe you could investigate something like tranexamic acid (i think it’s tranexamic, it could be mefenamic)?

or use a diaphragm or instead cup to hold back the yuckness for the honeymoon?

I still take the pill, after switching from the Depo-Provera shot to get rid of my mood swings. I use Trivora-28, specifically. It’s been working well for me, the lower level of hormones decreases my moodiness, and I don’t have PMS anymore, which is a plus. I like the regularity of my periods, and the cramping is minimal. It’s been overall an enjoyable experience compared to the shot!
-foxy

Right now I’m just praying to start feeling cramps really, really soon. Thanks, everyone. We’ll see.

I take ortho-tricyclen when I’m sexually active. (I’m not bothering to pay for the prescription during my year of enforced celibacy.) I normally have irregular periods - once every three months, instead of monthly - and I also normally do not suffer from PMS or bad cramping or other hormonal ills. When I’m on the Pill, however, I get all mood-swingy and PMSing at the appropriate time and it comes every month right on target.

My naturally irregular periods make it really hard to start the Pill properly because of the timeframe problems. I kinda regret having taken myself off it for the year, but on the other hand, I’m saving about $200 thereby.

A few more questions to add:
I heard there’s a day of the week to start taking the pill on that you wouldn’t get your cycle on the weekends. If it’s true, which day is it? Does it work with all types of the pill? (I’m going to start on ortho tri cyclen soon)

I’m on Ortho Tri Cyclen.

I’m a Tuesday (pill) start, so my period generally begins on a Thursday.

Knowing that, I’d say you’d probably want a Saturday or Sunday (pill) start.

Quite timely. Today’s Thursday. Is that TMI?

Thanks for the quick answer. If I can ask, how irrational does it make you, if at all? (I can’t be weeping at work because my coffee got cold.)

I get maybe a little grumpy for a day or so, but I can’t say that it’s directly related to the pill or not.

It could just be standard PMS. Regardless, I don’t feel bogged down by emotional rollercoasters each month. YMMV.

I take the pill all month long, due to female problems and extreme pain. My doctor said it has no ill effects.

I can’t see letting a little thing like a period ruin your wedding night. Put some towels on the bed and go at it, or do it in the shower.

mia mouse, it depends on your body.

my first day is a tuesday, i get my period on the friday, it’s over by the wednesday.

my sister, (who takes the same brand of pill) takes her first pill on a monday, period saturday, over by wednesday.

my old pills my first day was sunday, period wednesday, over by sunday evening.

see, all different?

also, to get proper cover you need to take your first ever pill on the FIRST DAY of your period. NO MATTER WHAT DAY IT FALLS ON!.

(but i guess thursday, friday would be a good day)
as for PMS, i get cravings, but no weepy-bitch-on-wheels days

I was advised to start the pill on Sundays.
So I do.
Now I start on Tuesday evening.

I’ve been on Ortho-Novum 1/35 for about 3 years now. Gained about 5 pounds when I first started, but other than that I haven’t had any problems. As far as I’m concerned, BCPs are the best thing since sliced bread.

I was on Mycrogynon 30 for about 6 years until my reason for going on it disappeared (my relationeship finished) and I kept forgetting to take it and it seemed pointless to continue plus I was going travelling and I didn’t need the extra hassle. I didn’t have any of the problems with it that Tansu and irishgirl. However once I came off it my severe PCOS symptoms surfaced so recently my doctor prescribed Dianette (here in Norway it is sold as Diane) to be taken 9 weeks on 1 week off. and it is fantastic to have my body back! Cramps but I can put up with those when my period only lasts for one day, nice and light, no PMT (no irrational need to hurt things is great) and my skin has cleared up well. I am so pleased that I am staying on it as long as I can.

I started out on Ortho Tri Cyclen, also because of extremely painful cramps. It made me really, really nauseated and ill. My doctor said it released the hormones in opposition to the way my body would naturally do it, and that is why I had that reaction.

She switched me to Estrostep, which has worked fine, although I did put on a little weight (maybe 10 lb) right after, and my sex drive is practically non-existant.

But the cramps are gone. Mostly.

I’d put on only 5 pounds, unfortuantely.
I took it for horrid cramps, which have gone, and it was way to heavy at first, but now has leveled off to one moment (neve rknow when) during the first day, where huge "item "comes out (sorry about grossness), so must stay near toilet.
But no side effects.