Ba-dee-ya, Rantin' in September (monthly mini rants)

Or they showed up and now there are pieces of them strewn about the crawlspace and ducts.

Nah, then I would have gotten a threatening call from Mr Squirrel.

“Hello, this is Cathode.”
'You called about a squirrel in the buidling?"
“Yes, I did.”
“Well- I’m still here. And. I’m. Coming. For. You!”

I’m sure he sounds like Liam Neeson.

Almost forgot, I did my laundry. I always check the dryer to makes sure I don’t leave any change or anything else behind. I put my medicare card and my Covid vaccination card (both in plastic protectors) through the washer and drier. The vaccination card should be okay. The medicare card was torn in half. I cannot find the other half. I will need to get a new card.

If you have your Medicare ID number, that should be acceptable to most providers until you get a new card.

When do you have to get Medicare? I have Medicaid at 61. It covers everything.

I turn 65 in February and I’ve been getting stuff in the mail about Medi…,whatever almost daily. One of these days I’ll open and read one of them

I’ve had Medicare for a while, and I’ve never had to show the card to anyone. I did input my Medicare number online when I signed up for Medicare Part B, but that’s it.

Same deal as my Soc. Sec. card… I’ll input the number when needed, but have never had to show my card (which is good; I have no idea where it is).

I don’t remember my number. I can think of a few places to call where I might be able to get it.

I had Medicare/Medicaid while I was on disability. Now, my insurance situation is very confusing and I’m not sure what I have.

I was under the impression you had to accept medicaid by a certain age. I have to work 6 more years before I am able to retire and collect social security.

Squirrel update

I heard people walking (heavily) up and down the stairs a few times. I foolishly assumed that maintenance had dealt with things. I went out to the vestibule to get my mail. I heard unidentifiable noises. I saw the squirrel. When I last saw him, he had been on the third floor landing. Now, he was between me and my unlocked apartment door. He started pushing on my door. I foolishly yelled and advanced on a frightened, cornered animal. He went left. and tried scrambling for freedom. I quickly entered my apartment and shut the door.

I placed a second call to management. I got an answering service.

Ahh, the squirrels got to management!

I placed a third call to management. Whoever answered made a lot of scratching noises and frenzied squeaks. I fear they are onto me.

All joking aside, even a squirrel can be dangerous if it is acting aggressively or erratically (those teeth really do hurt, I’ve been bitten by one by accident when feeding by hand). You never know if it might have a disease. I hope it gets resolved for you.

I’m less concerned about the person who gets bitten than I am over the fact that any wild animal who bites a human has to be killed for rabies testing. If I thought I could do it safely (NOTE- I know I cannot so don’t worry about it happening), I would pick the poor critter up and deposit him outside.

Every person I’ve known who fed squirrel(s) by hand has eventually been bitten.

I’m an exception. Have had squirrels take peanuts out of my fingers, was lucky enough to not get bitten.

Mark my word.

Done!

Yeah, this is the reason I don’t hand feed squirrels. I’ve had friendly dogs (including my own) accidentally bite me. I can easily see squirrels accidentally biting the hand that feeds them or feeling you owe them food and getting mad (I’m not joking. My Dad’s Quaker Parrot LOVED me. But if I spent more than 15 minutes in the same room as the bird and wasn’t paying him constant attention, he would get mad and bite me). Either way, the squirrel would then have to be killed to test for rabies.

Back in the 80s I fed the tame squirrels in Court Square downtown on my lunch break. They would sit on your legs while you fed them. One day they went into a feeding frenzy over Doritos and I got bit by one. It didn’t hurt but bled like crazy. They have razor-sharp little teeth. My co-workers talked me into going to Urgent Care where they gave me a tetanus shot and said I could get the rabies shots if I wanted but there had been no cases in years. I opted not to do that. And I quit feeding the squirrels.