Backup Cameras required by law- not the best solution...

For sure, back up cameras make parallel parking trivial.

If I win a lottery and succumb to nostalgia, I wouldn’t drive it until I install disc brakes, a dual brake system, six seat belts — four being shoulder belts — air conditioning and an armour breast plate.

Maybe a rear camera.

Is this a joke? Cars have been getting safer, and the number of deaths from car accidents has been falling steadily for decades, even with the increase in the population and the number of miles driven. The number, by the way, is now around 35k.

Just in the last decade, the deaths per million miles fell from 1.5 to 1.1.

Amen! I had a rental car with this feature and I felt like I had to pull over and stop every time I wanted to change the radio station or adjust the volume. With my current system, I can feel the volume knob without taking my eyes off the road. This is the stupidest, most dangerous option I have ever seen.

I’ve never seen a touchscreen car that didn’t have an auxiliary volume control on the steering wheel.

As for the those loathe to use voice commands, in a good system, they really are a lot better than fiddling with knobs. They do take some getting used to.

Speaking of the backup camera, every one I’ve seen has the instructions “Be observant of your surroundings, not just of want’s in the camera” or some such. Yes, you should do that. :smack:

Maybe the correct answer is to require a “Modern Automobile Safety” lesson to be taken by all drivers. There are a lot of safety issues that exist regarding the operation of a car these days that didn’t even exist when I took my driving test.

It’s all haphazard, ad hoc communication. You need to get a new license every few years, make people watch a 30 minute video and give them a pamphlet before allowing them to do it. Cover touch screens, cell phones, backup cameras, proximity devices, child safety laws, new driving laws.

Government meddling! It would never fly.

Another expensive thing to go wrong on a car. It will have to be fixed, at great expense, because it’s a safety feature. That’s my only problem with feature like this. It’s easy to say everyone should have a functioning backup camera. It’s not so easy when your camera or your display fails on your 10 year old car and the repair costs $800. I would say the safety feature isn’t worth it then.

They’re currently around $200 with camera and monitor.

The law just says they have to be in new vehicles. I assume it would be up to individual states to require that it works in order to pass inspection.

Um, I didn’t say I couldn’t turn my head at all…I lost 10-15% range of motion side-to-side and I can see my mirrors perfectly so I don’t need to look out the back freakin’ window by turning my head around! Furthermore, I know how to position my mirrors so I have NO blind spots and have a Blind Spot Monitoring System so I’m always aware of anything on either rear flank of my vehicle at all times!

And if you and I ever were involved in that hypothetical accident where you would sue my ass off, BRING IT ON! I’m a licensed insurance adjuster and certified accident investigator in the State of Georgia and you’ll be praying for death! :cool:

Then why do you drive like you do?

[quote=“steronz, post:28, topic:682309”]

A fact that I’m well aware of and constantly bemoan. Wagons are dead because consumers prefer SUVs. As a wagon lover, I now blame all SUV buyers for ruining it for the rest of us.[/image]

I agree with you, wagons are big sellers in all major auto markets outside of North America. The new Mazda6 wagon sold in Europe, Asia and Australia is even more gorgeous than the sedan and I wish they sold it here.

At least Volvo is bringing back a mid-size wagon, the 2015 V60.

I am situation-ally aware, I just use my properly adjusted side and rearview mirrors instead of turning my head around and looking out the back window! I also have the Blind Spot Monitoring System so I always know when a car is near either rear corner in an adjacent lane but may not be visible yet in my mirrors!

There is no significant evidence that they have any impact on safety for better or worse. The only vehicle safety features that have statistical data proving that they reduce accidents and/or injuries are Electronic Stability Control, Airbags of all varieties and Anti-lock braking PAIRED WITH Brake Assist and/or Electronic Brakeforce Distribution.

The IIHS also reports that vehicles available with Collision Warning Systems which INCLUDE Automatic Braking and those with Adaptive Front Lighting which turns the low beams relative to steering angle have 15-20% fewer liability claims than the same vehicle models without either of those features.

I find it very strange that Electronic Stability Control is legally required in all vehicles after 2012. Backup Cameras will be legally required in all vehicles after some future date. But Anti-Lock Braking has never been made a legal requirement on vehicles!?

Of course, the ESC requirement on post-2012 models effectively mandates that Anti-lock brakes be made standard because ESC utilizes ABS to function…but ABS has been around since the mid 80s…

Why do I drive like I do? Could you possibly be slightly more specific?

Retired insurance dealer and paralegal.
2,4,6,8 let my company subrogate.
Bring it back dude.

In my 23 years as a licensed driver, I’ve logged more than 650,000 miles. In all of those miles, I’ve only had one at-fault accident. I caused $890 in property damage and $0 in bodily injury and that was 12 years ago.

I’ve been in four other accidents and the other driver was determined to be 100% at-fault in all of them! =)

I like the backup camera we have in our new Mazda. It helps with backing out in the garage, or in tight parking lots like our vet, and it is just another angle. Look around, check the mirrors, check the camera, back out slowly, scanning all of the possible avenues for pedestrians/parked cars/moving cars/other hazards.

Just curious, what kind of Mazda do you have? I’m getting ready to buy my 3rd Mazda. My first was a 2006 Mazda3 Hatchback, I currently have a 2012 CX-9 Grand Touring SUV and I’m planning to lease a 2014 Mazda6 Grand Touring Sedan in the next month or so! Zoom, zoom!

2014 CX-5, the middle trim package (I don’t remember the various packages).