Bad, bad, bad padding the deck

No. I’m not running an illicit gambling joint. I could win at poker. Don’t need extras aces.

Unless you mean construction aces.
(I swear I’m hiring me some hunky shirtless, tanned, sweaty…stop me please!)

My deck was leaning. Chihuahuas almost roll off some days. As does Son-of-a-wrek when he’s been scarfing beer.

On labor day I brought this catastrophe up to BigWrek. When the smoke cleared and he quit blaming me instead of the wimpy underpinnings he sez “I’ll get on it”

Well today turned out to be the day.
We have:

BigWrek…old, bent fingers, rather be fishin’.
Son-of-a-wrek…young, bent mind, rather be drinkin’.
Bernie…friend of BigWreks. Wondering how he came for a fishing trip and got into this crap.
Hamza…PPB of the Lil’wrekker. Who just smiles alot.

I heard banging around early. Went to let the dogs out and had to put up the stop sign and take them through the garage.

It’s been noisy all day. Mostly BigW hollering at his Son.
Now Son-of-a-wrek is a good natured person. An ‘eh, I’ll help’ kinda worker. But he does know a little. His Dad just doesn’t think so. Turns into yelling outbursts.
Hamza tried to intervene once. Only once. He got noise for his trouble.
I told hIm to watch out he’d end up doing the heavy lifting.
Yep, I predicted correctly. I saw him getting the concrete pads outta the truck.

Poor Bernie. He didn’t know what to do. I’m not sure but he may be an accountant. Not really used to manual labor. I suggested he wear gloves.

OMG. It’s hot out, too hot.
Ivy spent a bunch of time taking water out to them. She said she told Son-of-a-wrek not to drink too much beer in this heat. I thought I heard laughing out there.
They really should’ve done this at a later date.
It seems Bernie won’t be here forever. I hope. I think he likes Ivy.

It seems work has stopped today. I told BigW to block it off. The kids will be home from school. I don’t want grandkids in the holes they’ve dug.

Seriously how much destruction does construction take?

Where’s the phone number for Acme Construction? I believe I’ll give them a call.

I’ve lost hope.

It’s going to get better. I cannot imagine anyone getting partway through (like, finishing the demolition) and calling it “good enough”. Well, I mean, I can imagine it, but it seems entirely beyond the pale for a homeowner to do it to themselves. Who would want to live with a daily accusation of incompetence and irresolution just outside the door?

Oh, they’ll finish.

Just one mention of Acme Construction Co. at dinner time and BigW will see red.
Work will start early tomorrow, I predict.

(disclaimer: I made up Acme Construction Co. Duh)

Lots.

You need dynamite. Best construction material ever. Mixes well with beer.

We’re feeding all of them tonight.
I was hoping this was a one day job ( and back to the Lake House to fish).But it seems it may turn in to 3 or 4 days.
mid-Daughter is cooking them up some deer steak (yuck!) I’ll have salad. TY.

And… from the peanut gallery:

Jojo the Cat doesn’t like construction work. He’s up a tree. Again.
Third time in two weeks. Funny how a can or tuna or sardines opening and he comes right down. I’ve created a monster. I think he’ll get mustard sardines this time.

The grandwrex love the pile of dirt. They excavated til called in to do homework. Lots of whining.

The Lil’wrekker complains that Hamza hurt his back. Oh my!!

I teased Ivy about Bernie. I may get an overdose of something tonight. If I go missing you guys are the first to know. So alert the authorities.

mid-Daughter sez “I ain’t cooking like this all week!”

Bayliss is clinging like Velcro. He’s alarmed by these happenings.

The Siamese are being kept quiet by the dryer going. I’m running out of things to wash. Which is a miracle all by itself. Thank God for a pile of dirt. That should be good for two loads.

Harking back to my childhood, I have to say that a pile of dirt is the best. Now I’m feeling all nostalgic.

Big Wrek needs more suckers friends, big, hearty friends, friends who could bench press Mongo.

No more more hungry hunks no matter what mid-Daughter and Ivy say.
I mean it.
:blush:

^^that’s one more more too many
:blush:

Fight ignorance! Please tell me what PPB means!

Construction, destruction, repairs, projects–anything a man gets entangled with! They never cost what he says it will cost (it will be at least double or triple), and it will always take more time than he thinks it will.

If they are actually tearing out part of the deck, I’d be concerned about snakes, spiders, mice, centipedes, and any other creepy-crawlies. <>

And why won’t Bernie be there forever? Did he have a bad Tarot card reading?

We followers of @Beckdawrek gotta know!

~VOW

How soon they forget. Alas.

PPB - poor, penniless boyfriend. @VOW you, yourself dubbed him this.

Bernie is visiting for a fishing excursion with BigW. I’m sure he’s more than ready to forego it and head home. He didn’t sign on for home repair. Poor Ivy.

She told me shut up (rudely) about her secret romantic aspirations. I should fire her for insubordination, at least.

And…I just heard thunder. Oh, lord.
Anyone for “Mr. Blandings dream home”?