Baden Baden: why so many Badens?

The English football team are staying in Germany at Baden Baden. Why is the name duplicated? It’d be like living in London London or Miami Miami.

And before anyone brings up the ‘so good they named it twice’ response - that doesn’t count: it would have to be New New York York.

So why the duplication?

Ask somebody from Walla Walla or Wagga Wagga.

Actually, the Wiki article on the place gives an answer:

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baden-Baden

So “New York, New York” (“two names twice”) is actually pretty close.

But why did you list the state first? :confused:

Yep, it’s because they are referring to the town (Baden) in the state (Baden).

A few extra bits and pieces.

First of all, it is a stunningly gorgeus, rhapsodically beautiful place to visit. If you get the chance, GO.

Also, the Wiki quote above doesn’t quite bring out the ‘cause and effect’ involved. The French decided early on in the war that after the war BB would make quite a nice new base, and for this reason they decided never to attack it or bomb it. Which is why it is so beautifully untouched and preserved.

Thirdly, you can get quite a fun trivia quiz question out of the town, eg ‘In which European town are all the drivers bad?’ or something like that. This is because all the local licence plates all begin with ‘BAD’. It’s true (I even have a photo somewhere).

If you want to see some pix of this truly beautiful place, I’ve got some here.

Note also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Baden%2C_Germany

Long before there was a town officially called Baden-Baden, there was the state of Baden-Baden, the result of the partitioning of the old Margravate of Baden.

• Tamerlane

So, in fact, it should be Baden Baden Baden Baden :slight_smile:

I saw Arlo Guthrie live in 1978. He said: “This is a song about a man who had three daughters. He named the first one Tzena, the second one Tzena Tzena, and the third one Tzena Tzena Tzena.”

Or Bora Bora or Pago Pago, for that matter matter.

The “River Avon” is basically saying the same thing twice too - river river. (Scottish Gaelic abheinn, Welsh afon)

And there’s a hill somewhere in England that has a wonderful name that is actually about 8 different words for hill. Unfortunately, trivia fans, the wonderful name escapes me at present. Sorry. :smiley:

Are you thinking of “Torpenhow Hill” in Cumberland? That was on QI just last night, in fact, but I’ve seen rumors that one of its four (not eight) component words is actually from a root not meaning “hill”.

I don’t understand your logic here, why would it have to be New New York York?

Well, pen (the Welsh component) literally means “head”. But literal definitions are rarely something you want to take at face value when it comes to ancient landscape naming. Look at “Diamondhead” in Honolulu, after all.

Ahah - yes I think that’s the one I had in what it pleases me to call my mind. Thanks. :slight_smile: (Yes, when I mentioned it having about eight words for hill, that was an exaggeration).

Because New York city is in New York state. When I posed the OP, I didn’t know why it was called Baden Baden. I never thought of the city/state scenario.

I was ignorant - so, so ignorant…

Wow , those were some truly nice shots of the town, the girls and the cars.

Declan

So are there actually other cities named Baden in different German states?

Is anybody else channeling a certain flash cartoon:

Baden, Baden, Baden, Baden, Baden, Baden …

Yes, there’s a Baden in Lower Saxony.
There’s also one in Austria, one in Switzerland, one in France and several in Canada and the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baden_(disambiguation)

It means ‘baths’, right? Mineral water spas, I think. Any from Roman times?

There is also Pendle Hill, which is 3 words for hill – Pen, Dle and Hill.