Baker's Dozen II (Part 1)

Aircraft you’ve been aboard other than commercial jetliners

1. Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey - Wikipedia
  2. Cessna 172 Skyhawk
  3. Schweizer S300 - Wikipedia
  4. Boeing Vertol CH-46 Sea Knight
  5. Piper PA-23-250 (Aztec-D)
  6. A glider a lot like this one ca. 1965

I recall the cockpit being longer, because there were three of us plus the pilot in it. I still have a polaroid kicking around somewhere of my uncle,my cousin, and me standing next to it post-flight.

2. Cessna 172 Skyhawk
  7. Boeing Vertol 107-II

The civilian version of the Sea Knight helicopter; I flew on it as a little kid with my family, from JFK Airport to the top of the Pan Am Building in Manhattan.

2. Cessna 172 Skyhawk
  7. Boeing Vertol 107-II
  8. Lockheed C-130 Hercules

I rode in one from Ft. Bragg, North Carolina to Panama with a quick stop at Elgin AFB, Florida. The ride was terrible - no movie, no dinner, and a bucket for a lavatory. I’ve also jumped out of them several times.

For other Hercules fans: C-130 Hercules cargo plane turns 60

2. Cessna 172 Skyhawk
  7. Boeing Vertol 107-II
  9. Bell 206 - Wikipedia

For a helicopter tour of Hawaii in 1987, including swooping over a long, abandoned beach and going down into the cone of an extinct volcano.

I was on a helicopter tour of Hawaii in 1991, including momentarily hanging sideways, looking down on a red-hot pool of lava. It was very hot.

I flew in one, just once. From Alameda NAS, California to Fort Sill OK. About as long as your ride, @Intergalactic_Gladiator.

The ride was terrible - no movie, no dinner, and a bucket for a lavatory. :wink: When we were boarding they handed us 2 items: a pair of earplugs and a boxed lunch. 1st class with free alcohol this was not.

Each rifle goes between your legs, muzzle down and resting on the deck. The critical hydraulic lines and controls ran through the top of the fuselage. In case of any negligent discharge, you want the round going down not up.

Sure it wasn’t a comfy ride, but it sure was memorable.

I never jumped from them. I was ANGLICO, and before I could go to jump school at Benning, I’d transferred to artillery where I spent the rest of my career…

The joke we always heard was that if you see steam or drips while inside a C-130 you’re OK. If you don’t then that’s when you worry.

And it’s Eglin AFB, I blame autocorrect…

anyway…

2. Cessna 172 Skyhawk
  7. Boeing Vertol 107-II
  9. Bell 206 - Wikipedia
  10. Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk

I jumped (parachuted) out of Black Hawks and also got a chance to fast rope out of one a few times while training with 5th SFG at Ft. Bliss.

Sounds like some fun there, @Intergalactic_Gladiator. As long as you’re not being shot at, I guess. That would be a little more, uhh, interesting.

ETA: fortunately I never saw combat.

2. Cessna 172 Skyhawk
  7. Boeing Vertol 107-II
  9. Bell 206 - Wikipedia
  11. Douglas DC-3

We’re going to schedule a family ride in one, to celebrate my parents. My mom was a flight attendant for PAL (Philippine Airlines) and she and my dad met on a PAL flight, DC-3 of course. The rest is history.

If it weren’t for the DC-3, I’d be history. As in never was, never to post here…

2. Cessna 172 Skyhawk
  7. Boeing Vertol 107-II
  9. Bell 206 - Wikipedia
  11. Douglas DC-3
  12. Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

I’ve never flown in one. But I grew up near at SAC base and I was inside one during a tour. Does that count as being aboard?

I’m sure that works, @Little_Nemo. And I’ll follow your lead too…

2. Cessna 172 Skyhawk
  7. Boeing Vertol 107-II
  9. Bell 206 - Wikipedia
  11. Douglas DC-3
  12. Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
  13. Boeing B-29 Superfortress

I’ve never flown in one. But in 2019 I saw “Doc” at yhe Mather AFB Air Show. Doc is one of only two airworthy B-29s in the US today.

Pics of us with Doc: Our day with “Doc”, a B-29. At the CCA19 Mather AFB Air Show. - Album on Imgur

Next up:

Any baseball-related plans this season?

1. Attend Opening Day!! Fri 09 Apr, Rockies at Giants.

I haven’t missed an Opening Day since 1996.
Until last year.
Until covid. (sigh)

GO GIANTS!

2. Watch the World Series

3. Attend an uncrowded weekday Mets game, I live 20 minutes away from Citi Field

3. Attend an uncrowded weekday Mets game, I live 20 minutes away from Citi Field
  4. Do a mini road-trip (COVID permitting) to follow the La Crosse Loggers of the Northwoods League [About the NWL - Northwoods League].

-“BB”-

4. Do a mini road-trip (COVID permitting) to follow the La Crosse Loggers of the Northwoods League [About the NWL - Northwoods League : Northwoods League ].
  5. Watch a lot of Astros games on TV, attend 1 or 2 Corpus Christi Hooks(AA farm club for the Astros) games.

4. Do a mini road-trip (COVID permitting) to follow the La Crosse Loggers of the Northwoods League [About the NWL - Northwoods League : Northwoods League ].
  5. Watch a lot of Astros games on TV, attend 1 or 2 Corpus Christi Hooks(AA farm club for the Astros) games.
  6. Hopefully attend a Texas Rangers game at their new stadium which I couldn’t do last year. Though I did get to go to a World Series game there last year.

6. Hopefully attend a Texas Rangers game at their new stadium which I couldn’t do last year. Though I did get to go to a World Series game there last year.
  7. Watch the Chicago Dogs play a game.

Come on, that’s a great name.

8. Attend the final game, Fan Appreciation Day. They give away a lot, R/T air tix for 2, and the grand prize is a new pickup truck. C’mon now, 1 in 45,000, those offs aren’t too bad, right?

I’ve been going for 20+ years. Haven’t won squat.

8. Attend the final game, Fan Appreciation Day. They give away a lot, R/T air tix for 2, and the grand prize is a new pickup truck. C’mon now, 1 in 45,000, those offs aren’t too bad, right?
  9. Attend a Long Island Ducks game with fireworks show if we can get tickets, they sell out fast

Typo fix…

8. Attend the final game, Fan Appreciation Day. They give away a lot, R/T air tix for 2, and the grand prize is a new pickup truck. C’mon now, 1 in 45,000, those odds aren’t too bad, right?
  9. Attend a Long Island Ducks game with fireworks show if we can get tickets, they sell out fast

8. Attend the final game, Fan Appreciation Day. They give away a lot, R/T air tix for 2, and the grand prize is a new pickup truck. C’mon now, 1 in 45,000, those odds aren’t too bad, right?
  10. Hope to get to at least one Cleveland Indians game in person