Baltimore/DC area Dopers: Anyone up for politics and drinks?

I started this thread about the fact that Ann Coulter and Michael Moore are both coming to speak at my school, Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, in the next few weeks.

Well, it seems that there are quite a few people in the area who might be interested in seeing these controversial characters speak, and av8rmike suggested a mini-Dopefest (or even two!).

So, this is a call to any MAD’s within easy reach of Baltimore. Is anyone out there up for a couple of evenings of alcohol and politics? We could meet at a bar or restaurant before the talks, which begin at 8pm, or alternatively we could meet afterwards.

Ann Coulter will be here on Thursday, September 25.
Michael Moore makes his appearance on Friday, October 10.

Of course, if you can only make one of the evenings, that is fine too. Once we get an idea of how many people are interested, we can start discussing meeting/drinking places, etc.

It’s a pity they’re not on the stage at the same time.

The only people I ever saw at Shriver Hall were Crowded House.

Present and accounted for, sir! :slight_smile:

You may wish to subscribe to this thread as well, because of the tangled Sept/Oct social calendar.

I would love to see Michael Moore, but I’ve just rescheduled my Florida trip for the third time to work around some other Doper gatherings and so I will be gone the weekend of October 10-11-12.

It looks like I and the other two admitted Hopkins dopers are undergrads, so I think we’re going to have to beg off on the boozin’ aspect, at least.

What elfbabe said, as well as a bump so this doesn’t disappear :wink:

Not a problem, we can always do the next best thing, coffeeshops! Surely we all know of the Xand0 at Charles & 33rd (?), or the Donna’s around the corner on Saint Paul St.?

That’s a good idea. I think the One World Cafe up on University Parkway also allows underage people in, as long as they’re not drinking.

Sorry for my lack of consideration, folks. I was forgetting that here in the good ole US of A you can be old enough to drive, attend college, vote, go to war, and have kids, but not old enough to have a beer. In Australia, where i’m from, the legal drinking age is 18, which covers just about all college students.

So, if the undergrad types are still interested, we would be more than happy to meet at a more suitable location.

I’d absolutely love to go to either or both, though I live in DC and haven’t a car.

I’m a Hopkins undergrad too and I would loove to meet some Dopers. Could we do something near campus like as suggested above, Xandos. I’m just a freshman and don’t really know my way far from campus.

mhendo, add smoke, marry, consent to medical experiments, sign contracts, and rack up large amounts of debt to that list.

Anyway, coffee is good. I won’t be able to make it to Coulter, as I have a prior committment (geek meeting), but either before or after Moore would work.

Normally this sorta thing would be right up my alley, mhendo. But this month and next are so crowded now, that there’s no way I can shoehorn another thing in.

But I’ll put this in the MADfest calendar next time I update it.

I think the 10th is better for me, though I’m not really SURE :slight_smile: Could probably make either date, though.

Will gleefully spend the next few weeks inserting the dreaded 1920’s S.D.R. phrase into everyday conversation as the true test of whether someone I know or meet in passing is actually one of y’all :wink:

Turns out I had to reschedule Florida AGAIN and my husband really REALLY wants to see Moore, so we’re in again. Is something still happening doperwise? Does this cost money? What is the scoop?

Opal, the event is free and open to the public. No tickets are required.

Each event starts at 8, but the doors to the auditorium open at 7 and, for speakers likely to draw a big crowd like Coulter and Moore, it’s probably best to be there pretty early.

The speeches and questions generally go for no more than about 90 minutes, often less. I was thinking that the best course of action might be to meet at the local Xando’s coffee shop (corner of Charles and 31st streets) at about 6:30 or 6:45, if people can arrive by then. That way, we can all introduce ourselves and walk over to the auditorium together.

After the event, which should be over by about 9:30, we can then go back to Xando’s for coffee and/or alcohol (they serve both, and you don’t have to be 21 to go there), and have a bit of a chin-wag about the speech, etc.

Does you all think this sounds like a reasonable plan?

Sorry I can’t make it, mhendo.

But let me say that if you want some political talk you should attend Dope-A-Ween III at the Chance estate.

There will be (likely) ex-White House Press Corps guys, current political reporters, lobbyists, etc.

And we’ll serve freer alcohol. I’d love to sling the slang with you.

Short of another hurricane, you can expect me and UDD to be there. He got really excited when I told him about it.

So is anyone going to see Ann Coulter on Thursday?

If we’re following mhendo’s plan, I can be at Xand0 6:30 Thursday. I don’t know what anyone looks like, apart from Opal.

Ah, what the heck, if this goes, I’m in on Thursday, assuming I can get all my work done beforehand.

As an aside, some time within the next couple of years, after I’ve gotten my car down here and have a bit more freedom of movement (as well as picking up a few hundred posts on the SDMB by then, I imagine), I want to hit this big JC Halloween thing if it’s still going. Sounds like a blast, and I’d love to be there but it just can’t happen this year.

Just awaiting confirmation from oh ye lord mhendo, our Hopkins Doper Organizer Personage, for Thurs!

(On preview, I don’t remember using that many commas in that few paragraphs before. Ever.)