Bands

I’ve heard of an awful lot of those bands, but I’m a little more mainstream in my listening tastes. Some very good stuff there, though. Have to comment on a few things, though…I really like albums, and I have a turntable too! And though I’ve never heard any of Kinky Friedman’s music, I’ve read a couple of his books. If he’s as good a performer as he is a writer, I’ve got to get me some o’ his music!

The only stuff I listen to that no one else seems to have heard of is reeeeeeally old blues. But that’s because my husband is a blues guitar player, and he’s got a HUGE collection of that stuff. Also Roy Buchanan, Rory Gallagher, and Danny Gatton, some of the finest guitar work ever.

Wow, I’ve heard of almost none of those bands! I’m only 18 though, so I have a pretty good excuse for most of the older bands, although I probably would recognize some of their songs if I heard them. I’ve always loved older music, 1920-1980, and listen to it whenever I get the chance, but other than the radio and my record player I don’t have much chance. It would be too expensive to go out and buy old records on the chance that I might enjoy the band. So I mostly get stuck listening to 70’s and 80’s on the radio and CD, and then scrounging whatever older stuff I can find to listen to on record or oldies stations.

Morphine
David lindley and el rayo-x
Alison brown quartet
Ani di Franco

<sigh> it’s sad that we lost Morphine this year.

The bands that I like that I think other people should know:

Doc Watson (He ROCKS! well maybe not, He FOLKS!) <BG>
Pansy Division (there adaptation of Colored Spade from Hair is particularly entertaining)
Alexander Scriabine (My favorite classical composer yet some people in classical music have not heard of him)
Carlo Gesualdo (another good classical composer)
Four Bitchin’ Babes

The bands that I like that I doubt other people would know:

Ed’s Redeeming Qualities (My absolute most favorite band)
Different World
Coroner (an oldy but a goody)
Old Lady Drivers
Marvin the Mandolin Man (He doesn’t play the mandolin. It is a typical rock band. It is not a favorite but thought it could be mentioned.)

SqrlCub -

Four Bitchin’ Babes ROCKS! I love them! I’m (hopefully) going to see them in a month here in DC. I’m also happy I know most of the bands mentioned here - maybe I’m not a musical Philistine… :slight_smile:

I thought of one other band:
Eddie From Ohio

Schizm-
I LOVE every band on your list…who the hell is Robert Earl Keen?

Ivick do you live in New England? Ani di Franco seems to have a huge following here but haven’t really heard much of her any place else. Another is Squirrel Nut Zippers, the young crowd usually recognize the band but you ask someone over thirty and they look at you funny. Too bad because this band could really swing some older audiences their way.

i think squirrel nut zippers are actually from north carolina, though they have played here (burlington, VT) a couple of times, which supports your new england theory. now how about the Tragically Hip?

ellis

ellis555, I was referring to di Franco being from the area. Seems I remember WEQX saying something to that effect, and they seem to play her when other stations in upstate NY don’t.

Glenn Miller
Paul Whiteman
Artie Shaw
Vic Schoen
The New Leviathan Oriental Foxtrot Orchestra
Lucille Hegamin’s Blue-Flame Syncopators

whoever mentioned THE HIP, continue to spread the word.

Toad the Wet Sprocket
Eric Gadd
Butthole Surfers

Well, he’s probably the most mainstream musician on my list, even though he’s the least known. He’s a Texan singer-songwriter, who used to be neighbors with Lyle Lovett, and they are great friends, and their music is of a similar vein. Great folk-rock for beer-filled Austin sunsets.

Speaking of Texas…
From “Texas Funeral” By Jon Wayne…

She took the kids, peed on my carpet, and shot my horse and now things have gone from better to bad to worse.

BONZO DOG DOO DAH BAND!!! Of course, I only know them from Dr. Demento, but still…

Speaking of DD, I can say I’ve heard of the Pousset Dart Band, tho’ never heard any of their songs.

Here’s some of the more obscure stuff I’ve picked up:

Spider John Koerner, “Running Jumping Standing Still”
Kapelye
Le Quartet Hot Club du France

Cave Diem! Carpe Canem!

Funneefarmer:
No I live in california, last month I was at a world music gig out here and heard a wonderful band called “Fruit.” They are an Australian club band that was on a breakthrough world tour, and they absolutely rocked. During an afternoon Q & A session someone asked what the bands 3 desert island CDs would be. The bass player said Di Franco’s “Little Plastic Castle,” asd the drummer was bummed 'cuz that woulda been her choice. I figured I liked the band enough to check her out. I absolutely love the song “Fuel,” though I don’t think she’d make my desert island list. Other suggestions:
Fruit (duh)
Tempest
Bobby Llama

Olentzero:
is that the old Django Reinhart outfit? I thought it was Quintet, or maybe it’s a different group.
Larry

Anyone up for a thread of desert island CDs?

I’ve got about 4,000 CDs, tapes and even vinyl LPs in my collection. When people visit, they usually simply say, “I hever saw so many CDs I never heard of before!”

So, I know all of the bands you all are mentioning! (smile). No doubt you know about these as well, but a few unheralded faves of mine include:

• Bad Brains - DC rasta-hardcore. Definitive disc: I Against I.
  • Redd Kross - Sugar-sweet gumball pop. Favorite disc: Phaseshifter
  • Coupe De Grace - Minneapolis old Metallica meets Thin Lizzy with great songs.
  • Casper Brotzman Massaker - Goth guitar God with Poe-like lyrics
  • The Buzzcocks - Pop punk predating platinum poppy punks.
  • The Goats - Philly hip-hop with a backing band and a great message. First album is amazing, second one sucks.
  • Obituary - Death metal’s most intense band.
  • The Velvet Underground - No explanation needed.
  • Pegboy - From Chicago from the ashes of Naked Raygun. Powerful melodic hardcore with intense emotional lyrics.
  • Chrome - Did the proto-industrial thing before any americans, except maybe…
  • Pere Ubu, from Cleveland.
  • Dag Nasty - DC melodic punk.
  • Melt Banana - Japanese noise.
  • King’s X - Wonderful melodic guitar band!

Okay, I’ll stop now…

Brian O’Neill
CMC International Records
rockuniverse.com/cmc/cmc.html

ICQ 35294890
AIM Scrabble1
Yahoo Messenger Brian_ONeill

I can’t believe that with all of the punks bands posted on this board no one mentioned Bad Religion? Anybody who likes So Cal punk should check out No Control…it was the fruit from which the rest grew!

Black 47 is the another band I know that most people don’t!

Satan,

I know all the bands you mentioned except Coupe De Grace and Pegboy :). I worked in a record store for 5 years though. Sounds like you might have too, no?

Oh geez. I just read your signature, Satan. I’m an idiot :slight_smile:

I’d never read past your name before. Hope I never get called to be a witness to a crime.