Bands

Do any of you out there listen to bands that none of your friends have ever heard of? Especially if the band has songs that you thought were well known.
The Bands that I alone seem to possess the knowledge of are:
Sweet (Ballroom Blitz, Little Willy, Love Is Like Oxygen)
Rush (Tom Sawyer, Closer to the Heart, Fly By Night, Limelight)
J. Geils Band (Centerfold)-although a few of my friends do know the song

Your friends don’t know about Rush? Strange friends, I suggest upgrading them immediately. :slight_smile:

I would say about half of my friends don’t know about New Order, but the rest do. The rest of the music I listen to is either soundtracks from movies or classical so I don’t know if they count.

And I forgot about:
Falco (Rock Me Amadeus)

Rush? J. Geils Band? Your friends have never heard of these bands? This makes me feel very old.

Robyn Hitchcock - he’s got a large cult following, but most people don’t know who he is or what he does. Very, very good!

Flying Burrito Brothers - these guys never got the success that they deserved in the late 60’s and early 70’s, although they are critically acclaimed by most music reviewers (they had a mild hit with “Six Days On The Road” in 1969).

Louden Wainwright III - part folk, part satire, part comedy, he’s been around since the early 70’s. Not much commercial success, but well respected among his peers.

Your friends don’t know about Rush? Now I feel old, and I’m only 24! By any chance, are these friends women? Most women I know don’t listen to Rush, J. Geils, etc. (And before everyone jumps on me, I’m a woman.) I’m with bernard - upgrade the friends! :wink:

Let’s see…bands my friends have never heard of:

Sebadoh
The Iguanas
Freddy Jones Band

“And the knowlege that they fear is a weapon to be used against them.”
-Neil Peart, RUSH, “The Weapon”

Tito and Tarantula
The Toy Dolls
Bran Van 3000

To deal with men by force is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion.

I never travel far
Without a little Big Star.
– The Replacements

Also:
The Charlatans
The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band
Fairport Convention
The Modern Lovers
The Flamingos
The Treniers
Billy Ward and the Dominos

Of course, these boyos are obscure only because they date from the 50s/60s.

Uke

Sorry…Big Star and the Lovers are from the 1970s.

My friends can all appreciate the music that I am into lately but the people I work with don’t even believe me when I tell them that “Yes, they do still make vinyl records and I own NEW records that I play on my RECORD PLAYER.” They can only comprehend this if I say it’s for DJs.

NYC punk for me lately:
The Dead Boys
Richard Hell/Television/Voidoids
New York Dolls/Johnny Thunders
Velvet Underground & The Stooges (don’t really belong here but they were in NYC in the late 60’s/70’s so I think it’s ok)

Weird–I was just thinking this morning of posting a topic very much like this…

Anyway, my all-time favorite band is XTC. I’ve loved their music ever since I saw the video for “Life Begins at the Hop” in 1979. I managed to see them on tour, just before lead singer Andy Partridge decided he had permanent stage fright. Do yourself a favor and find one of their albums.

Poe, Soul Coughing, Sneaker Pimps, Hooverphonic…

indeed XTC are fabulous. All one needs to do is listen to “wrapped in grey” and you’ll be hooked.

To deal with men by force is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion.

The only ones that have stumped me so far are The Toy Dolls, The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, The Treniers, and The Dead Boys.

I love all these artists.

And XTC is one of my favorite bands of all time.

Now, I like alot of bands that alot of people haven’t heard of so I’ll narrow the list down to artists I REALLY REALLY like whose names are relatively unknown:
Failure
Splashdown
Elliott Smith
Kate Bush
Self
Nick Drake
All those 4AD bands (Cocteau Twins, Lush, etc)
Bel Canto
Grant Lee Buffalo

I’ll stop here :slight_smile:

Ah, The J. Geils Band–Centerfold was their most mainstream song. They were a “concert band” and always put on great shows. I’ve seen them several times. I used to have their live album,“Blow your face out” I loved Peter Wolf’s jive talkin’ intros to the songs…like “Musta Got Lost”.

Gail
“Any major dude with half a heart surely will tell you, my friend–
Any minor world that breaks apart falls together again…”
-Steely Dan

I totally agree with Tito and Tarantulas
Also:
The Cramps
Ry Cooder
Headstones
Yello
Tailgators

Devo… yeah, yeah, I know everyone’s HEARD of Devo, but most of my friends don’t know any of their songs besides “Whip It.”

Yeah, but that’s not saying much since most of my friends are unenlightened Philistines anyway…

October Project
Julee Cruise
Cranes
Concrete Blonde
Black Tape For A Blue Girl

Five years ago, I could of added Sarah McLachlan, but now I can’t escape her :wink:

“I guess it is possible for one person to make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

Mott the Hoople, even tho the “classic” rock stations have jumped on the bandwagon, nobody played them when they were together, but all you hear are the same two dam’ songs.
Bonzo Dog Band? You bet!
And finally: Kinky Friedman & the Texas Jewboys–hard to explain, but Lord, are they good!
–Alan Q

It sometimes seems like I have to spoon-feed my music to some of my friends, who never seem to travel past commercial radio. Some bands that I’m into:
Velvet Underground (probably my favorite)
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Gomez
Built to Spill
Spiritualized
Husker Du
Tricky
Robert Earl Keen (for when I’m feeling patriotic)

I’m just realizing these are all predominantly male artists. I guess I don’t listen to females that much. Life must imitate art then, in my case.

It makes me feel good that I’ve heard of most of the bands you folks have mentioned. My picks?

Pavement, Jellyfish, Built to Spill, Wilco, the UNKLE project (a DJ Shadow side project actually, but no one’s heard of him either).

There are other bands I like where most people only know one song:
Radiohead (best band on earth, and SO much better than “Creep”)
Blur (that “woo-oo!” song is only the tip of the iceberg)