Baseball Fans, who are your early picks for the big awards?

NL MVP: Pujols. I could see Howard getting it if he breaks 61 which seems likely.
AL MVP: Jermaine Dye

NL CY Young: Carpenter for lack of competition.
AL CY Young: Santana

NL Rookie: Dan Uggla. I will say the homer in me says Chris Duncan.
AL Rookie: Justin Verlander. Jared weaver has also had a great year.

[QUOTE=Petey]
AL MVP
Jermaine Dye, Chi
Travis Hafner, Cle
[/QUOTE]

Travis will get a handful of votes, but nothing close to what he should get. He’s been stellar this year, no matter what the team is doing.

Also on the Indians, and with a better case for an all-around player: Grady Sizemore.

Hafner has had a great season (.308/ .439/ .659 ), but I have a hard time giving to someone who only plays DH. I felt the same way about Ortiz last year, and he had a better season.

[QUOTE=RetroVertigo]

NL Rookie: Dan Uggla. I will say the homer in me says Chris Duncan.

[/QUOTE]

Dude, as good as Little Dunc has been, he’s not RotY material. I’d be happy if he just plays league-average left field for a few years.

[QUOTE=Ass For A Hat]
I’ll be happy to come back here and eat my words later if I have to. But even if the Twins make the playoffs, Joe Mauer won’t crack the top five in the MVP voting. Regardless of how the rest of the season plays out, I just can’t see him ahead of Ortiz, Dye, Jeter, Hafner or Morneau.
[/QUOTE]

I said I’d bote for him. I don’t expect him to win or even come close, since the MVP voters don’t usually look beyond RBI’s.

Peter Gammons returned to the Mike & Mike show today on ESPN Radio and when asked the question, he gave a long explanation as to why Jeter should be the AL MVP. Boils down to, he led and carried the team when they were on the ropes.
Probably will be available from the Web Site today, so you can get your own take on what he said.

Jim