Becoming a Musician or: How I Learned to Hate Computers (rant)

I’m working on some java code. The code insists that a driver is missing. So I copy in a new version of the driver but I forgot to remove the other old one. It complains “Sorry, but there’s now two suitable drivers and I don’t know which one to use.” So I’m crying, “Use either one. I don’t care.” So I remove the old one and it is saying “I’m sorry there’s no suitable driver.”

Sigh.

God, I hate working with computers. Please somebody tell me again when the AI overlords are arriving and taking all of this over? I cannot wait!

Did you try rebooting?

:wink:

:rofl:

(in fact, I have.)

I missed the connection between java and being a musician. But I assume you’re either trying to develop software or just install some software and configure it (although it sounds awfully futzy for just installing and configuring, so I’m leaning towards you’re trying to write actual code here).

Make new backup of your HD without overwriting any of the older ones.

Revert your entire hard drive to the backup that dates to before you started this project. Now go snag your java code snippet and other files you’ve created since the old backup and install the new (not the old) driver.

You’ve got the wrong version of the driver.

You need to download the right one from totallynotatrojan․ru

Oh, I’m switching careers from scientist to musician. :slight_smile: I guess knowing that would help. I was trying to make a riff on Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. I think I must have rolled a 2 on my “make subject” skill check.

And yes, writing code. I created an AI and it used to work on flat files so we’re trying to connect it to a database. And it is whining about not being able to find the jdbc driver, even though it can detect the jdbc driver when I have two of them in there (sufficient to whine about there being two anyway).

Dammit. Now I have a trojan virus on my computer. I wonder how that got there?

Hmmm… seems to have transferred over to the killer robots. Meh, I’m sure that will be fine.

Dr. Wrongdriver or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Compiler

That’s much better. :slight_smile:

Not that I want to be that guy but it sounds like you are on Windows. Both OSX and various versions of *Nix are much easier to deak with.

And your references to a “jdbc” driver argues strongly in that direction.

I may, of course be completely wrong, but I think I am right.

I appreciate the advice although it does not help me at all.

I was going to say, it’s probably something stupid like the jar file not being in the classpath. I frequently get bit by mistakes like that. But then it shouldn’t have been able to tell that you had two drivers. So I don’t know. But man I sure can sympathize.

When the jazzman’s codifyin’ a messy function neat
He can give you a killer app or just BSOD

Not to be That Guy who piles on to that guy, but @scudsucker may be offering a different approach. You could install a virtual machine on your PC and install a friendly version Linux on it. All for free. Then all of your Java and general lifestyle problems would be a distant memory, peace will guide the planets, and loo-ove would steer the stars.

Also, will not help with the problem unfortunately.

Folks, I’m not looking for solutions. It is just a rant in particular about the absurdity of it saying “I cannot find a driver”, “Oh, I can find two drivers”, and then “I cannot find a driver”. :slight_smile:

I am certain that you will prevail with your driver issue through the essence and purity of your precious natural fluids.

Nicely done. :rofl:

If you really want to get this working, it ought to be relatively simple to get it going at the command line. Once that’s sorted out, the problem of getting it to work in another way can be addressed.

Some of us deal with Java at work on a daily basis and have quite a bit of experience in handling such classpath/library path issues. Post some details if you wish and one of us will gladly provide some advice.

Nitpick: precious bodily fluids