Becoming a Musician or: How I Learned to Hate Computers (rant)

I too liked both the music and the video. Well done!

Thank you, too! I’m flattered that anyone listens.

I know that feeling. :slight_smile:

It is like … you listened to my music … and all the way through? Wow.

Hehehe, and you didn’t have to do any of it, much less let me know about it! Do you want a beer, or share this joint I have? :wink:

Heck, I’m a bass player most of the time. If you notice that I was the guy up on stage a half hour ago and mention it, I’m flattered.

Oddly, when I was a guitarist, I’d get recognized and greeted on the street (or even in bathrooms) years after that band had broken up. The apparent hierarchy of popularity in rock instruments is very, very weird. Either way, I’m more than happy to employ better guitarists than I am these days, by whatever means. I’ll do in a pinch, and I can get by on vocals, but neither are really my best facet.

That’s what I like about being lead vocals. I love being front and center. Not in an egotistical way, but I love entertaining, interacting with people, speaking with people, singing to people. I enjoy public speaking too. I’m definitely an extrovert.

Well, I’m getting a new error.

It is now complaining it cannot find the Main function.

So odd. I’ve never had a problem this persistent before.

Have you looked between the couch cushions?

:rofl:

I ended up fixing that one. It was a typo. Oops.

But I’m back to the original error. I’ve tried everything I can think of and nothing works. It is truly bizarre.

Heheh, that was my original instinct, but that seemed like completely un-helpful advice to give.

It is bizarre that it won’t locate it with one copy installed, but complains you’re giving it too many choices with two of them installed. I’d be saying look for a typo there, too, but that it behaves differently when it has a choice has me stumped.

The funny thing is that there’s a bunch of jar files being loaded. All of them are fine except the JDBC. Plus, I’ve never had a problem with a JDBC driver before, although it has been a few years since I’ve had to load one. It is bizarre. I tried a different IDE, different JDK, different JDBC driver, setting the class path in the IDE, setting the class path from a java.exe call, putting the jar in the lib folder, putting it somewhere else, etc. etc. etc. I tried building a new application that is nothing except the database connection, and it fails with the same error. The only thing I have not tried is a different DB (they’re using Maria DB).

Hmm, are they allowing the connection method you’re trying to use (maybe they only allow access through a Unix socket, and you’re trying TCP/IP? I dunno.)

The PHP side of the application connects fine. It is a very strange error. Lots of other people have had it (according to my Google-fu) but it almost all class path based problems.

Keep in mind I know almost nothing about Java, but could the order the libraries are loaded matter? Maybe it’s not resolving dependencies correctly?

Unless you run a server or supercomputer, where it absolutely dominates. Or have an Android device, or a Samsung TV, or drive a Tesla, Toyota, Hyundai, Audi or Merc.

Or use a Chromebook (60% of the US school market before the pandemic).

Extremely rare, my ass.

I’m talking about implementing it as an enterprise solution. So yes. That’s what I mean by businesses using it. (I wasn’t 100% clear on that.)

Servers aren’t part of enterprise solutions? Enterprise systems are increasingly cloud-based nowadays, and servers run the cloud.

If you mean “business desktop use”, say that. And sure, I’d agree then, Linux is rare there.

Yes, it has less than a 3% market share.

An enterprise in my experience is the entire network, from servers to clients.

Linux absolutely dominates in some applications for a reason. They are absolutely my favorite web service, I’ve supported Linux servers in businesses and I ran one at home for a while. I also supported Linux local network file servers at my first office IT job.

But while it’s common to see Windows running on servers and desktops together at a business, it’s rare for Linux to do that, even though the up-front cost is so much less. And hardware support is so much better than it used to be.

Sure, but that’s largely because of inertia in IT departments and MSOffice market dominance, rather than, say, the difficulties of installing Linux in idiosyncratic individual machines (which isn’t what happens in enterprise systems, anyway - the typical enterprise provisioning situation is much more analogous to the school Chromebook situation)

Don’t worry, won’t be a problem with an instrument (well, an acoustic one… do NOT try to program your own synthesizer, it’d trigger PTSD for you).

So, at long last, I “fixed” the problem. I’m still not sure what the cause was; however, I cleansed my computer of everything related to Java, database, and programming languages. Then I reinstalled everything on the C drive (ugh) and it worked.