beer talk with mangomerlot

Actually, I think SAB is now the second largest global brewer.

PBR is brewed in southern China. Doesn’t taste any better here than it does in the US. Nasty nasty nasty stuff.

True enough, but the lessons are so much fun!:smiley:

Oooh, pretty! (I looked up its website.)

Okay, that one does look a little better than the one I’m attending this weekend, the Oregon Brewer’s Festival. But give us time, we’re working on it!

The lessons are definitely fun. It’s Friday night and I’m relinquishing my amateur status!

I was under the impression that Corona was a good beer, but I’ve never actually had the chance to try it (never seems to be sold where I drink). I usually end up drinking Budweiser in clubs, because it’s pretty much either that or alcopops which are disgustingly sweet - you know they’re bad when Budweiser is preferable. I did drink spirits, or preferably wine, but glasses tend to get knocked over and are difficujlt to dance with. Maybe I should just buy wine by the bottle, hmmm …

Fairly pointless post, but I just wanted to say how ironic I find it that someone called MangoMerlot should start a beer thread…

I really dislike the taste of Budweiser, but I do like Corona. It’s certainly marketed where I live (along with Sol) as the funky Latino beer – slice of lemon/lime and big price tag. If I have to drink bottled lager I tend to prefer Beck’s (average but not too bad), Castle, EB, Tiger or any of the decent Aussie or Czech ones.

I used to be an almost exclusively import drinker. Guinness and Heineken were the main stays. But with the Medium brew* emergence I oretty much drink American now. First of all Heineken changed in the last three years. I don’t know if the Denver stuff is coming from a new plant, or the distributer wastes time or what, but at least 40% of them are skunky. Guinness is good, but there is a bit of staleness by the time it gets here. Sierra Nevada, Great Divide, and New Belgium(they make Fat Tire) Are always a gloriously fresh pour here, and they are a damn good beers. It’s just a better drink than the others now. Sam adams unfortunatly started going to crap 5 years ago as well :frowning:

*Meidum brew is my term for companies like New Belgium and Sierra Nevada. They make to much beer to fit the word ‘Micro’, but far under the mass produced swill of Bud, and Miller type companies. True microbrews are good, but you can never find it again.

A quick word for American beer lovers. If you are planning a trip in early October anywhere near Denver consider hitting the Great American Beer Fest. It is a blast and with 1200 beers to choose from you will discover ambrosia.

Of course real beer drinkers never preview and proofread. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t say Corona is a bad beer (which I would say about Bud, Miller, and most of the other big-name American beers), just that it’s pretty unexceptional. Its popularity is probably due to the fact that it’s heavily advertised. And it’s an import, and costs a little more than Bud, etc., so the perception is that it must be good. (The same is true for Heineken).

It’s an okay summer beverage. But if you want a light Mexican lager (which are of course all based on German styles), you’re better of with Bohemia, Tecate, or Pacifico. Even Sol or…that new one whose name I can’t recall that means “sea turtle”. Starts with a “c”.

What do all you beer connoisseurs think of Rolling Rock? I grew up on the assorted Bud products and other cheap American beer (swill). I drink nothing but Rolling Rock now. I’ve thought about switching to a more “upscale” beer, but have always balked at the idea because I don’t want to have to spend 8 bucks for a 6 pack when I am content with spending 9 on a 12er of Rolling Rock. Am I drinking American swill still?
dead0man

Rolling Rock is one of those beers that you can get in UK off-licenses but I’ve never, ever seen anyone drink. Very odd.

I’m not a big fan of RR, it’s just missing something depth. But it’s is much better than Bud and Coors. Those are swill watered down. RR tastes like what would be a good beer, but really watered down,with a hint of roasted chestnuts.

I’ve been to the US twice. In LA I could barely get served as (despite being 23) I didn’t have sufficient ID, having left my passport in a hotel safe.

In Chicago I stayed at a hotel outside the city (Hickory Ridge?). The bar there served crap, overpriced Guinness or Miller. I have never had a worse beer. There was a Miller sales convention there, and there was nearly a fight when some of my drunken (UK) colleagues decided to provide unsolicited comments on the quality of the beer to the sales staff.

Gentlemen, and ladies, perchance. How about a rendez-vous in Brussels, the second weekend of September? (Warning: PDF)

English beer? American beer? All beer bows to Belgium.

Says he, whilst sipping from a can of Grolsch. :wink:

Excellent!
To quote some tourist guide we picked up whilst visiting Belgium,
“We didn’t invent beer and chocolate, but we might as well have!”

That should probably read “may as well have,” but what do I know?

I was up in Seattle for my cousin’s wedding last month, and he and all his trendy friends were drinking Luck lager and PBR. Ugh. Lucky ain’t too bad, but PBR? I think it has something to do with being coddled too much and needing to feel trashy. Like why all the dive bars in the Mission (neighborhood in San Francisco) are so popular with the next yuppie generation. Since it’s within my budget, I prefer a decent beer, such as Red Tail, or even better, some homebrew.

the great micros of the pacific northwest sure don’t bow to belgium (imo)

Speaking for Belgium, Has Pierre Celis started brewing again since the Celis brewery in Austin closed? If so, is the brew available in the US?

I miss his wonderful Wit.

On a related note, I met his daughter once when touring the Austin brewery. It was starting to rain when I came up to the building, so I approached the first person I saw and told her that the owner of the Corvette out front had left the windows opened. She exclaimed that it was hers and rushed out to close the windows. It turns out it was Christine.

Whoah, whoah, whoah. Don’t diss my best friend Michelob. And her dieting pal Mich Light.

When this beer snob’s slumming, there’s nothing that tastes better than Michelob. Nothing.

michelob is definitely better than the other brews coming out of the anheuser-busch brewery (except Ziegenbock). The Michelob Amber bock sucks IMO…it’s not even a bock, it’s an ale :frowning: