Ben Affleck to play Batman

Oh dear, this is such a bad idea…

Agreed. He may surprise but I just don’t know…

Eh, I’ve never really understood the Affleck hate. Besides, it’s not like it’s a role that demands Brando-level acting.

I’m Batman.

Yeah, it could work.

I don’t hate him, per se. However, he is such a bad actor tht it drives me to distraction.

I don’t know what it is…, his constant blinking, his permanent smirk, his inability to deliver a line convincingly. But this does sound like a bad idea, because he overacts and tries too hard when the part is beyond his grasp.

With that said, I HAVE enjoyed a couple of his performances, including Good Will Hunting, Hollywoodland, and Dogma (Dogma required little skill and was therefore right in his wheelhouse). This list is infinitely longer than Nicolas Cage’s list, as I have enjoyed him in nothing.

I don’t see it working. But I’m willing to wait and hopefully be wrong.

Everyone remember what Michael Keaton was known for before he wore the cowl? I’m not dissing this until I see a clip.

Right. 'Cause he did such a great job as Daredevil. Excuse me a moment…
Nooooooooooooooo!

Wow, that is shocking. I hope he called George Clooney first to make sure it’s a good idea.

Clooney: “Yeah, do it. It’s great.”

Heh.

He was the bomb in Phantoms.

I thought he was pretty good as Matt Murdock. The movie sucked in general, sure, but I’m not sure how much of that can be laid at his feet.

I don’t think you can really blame that whole movie on just him though.

As I’m typing, I realize that Bruce Wayne is kind of smug and fake and distracted. It could actually work.

Heh.

He was good in Mall Rats, though. And I do like Daredevil(which in no way makes him the choice for Batman, actually).

I have no idea why they cast a known actor, though. Just get some talented guy and put him in the suit.

My mind is blown.

Ben Affleck is a fine actor, groupthink to the contrary notwithstanding.

I thought he was just fine in Daredevil, and don’t understand the hatred (other than people sneering at the Bennifer thing). He was very good in movies like Bounce, Good Will Hunting, Shakespeare in Love, Argo and Hollywoodland.

I can see it. I bet he does it justice.

Oddly enough, I now fine myself cheering for this movie. You cast Affleck in the role? Fuck it, go ahead and make me believe.

It’s a stupid idea(the movie, I mean); I guess go ahead and make it super crazy nuts if you want. Good on 'em.

Ditto to all of that.

The director’s cut was quite good, actually. One of the issues is that the theater version cut a significant plot element that was exceptionally important in spacing out the action and furthering character development.

My problem is not that Afleck is a bad actor. It’s that I can’t see him portraying Batman in any way other than a farce. And unlike Nolan, they don’t have a history of casting odd choices that wind up working. Their history is the fucked up character of Superman that was in Man of Steel.

The way they are going, I half expect the Superman to be all serious and Batman to be the funloving guy.

Eh, I thought Cavill’s acting was pretty terrible in the last Superman, so I doubt Affleck will be the worst thing in the new movie, anyways.