Bermuda Triangle

Kusche and Nova lacked the snark. I’ll take Cecil.

I remember reading a long time ago about something called the “Honduras Hexagon” in which more ships had gone down. Note that the person wasn’t trying to make up another mystery, he was making fun of the Bermuda Triangle idea.

Years ago I was teaching a group of young children. One kid talked about seeing a TV show about the Bermuda Triangle, in which a group of planes had flown into a cloud and disappeared forever. One of my students, whose father had just left on a business trip, burst into tears: “My daddy’s plane flew into a cloud, too!” Wonderful. So instead of working on the planned lesson, we talked about the nice clouds that send down rain that waters the pretty flowers and don’t disintegrate modern machinery.

Grr, Charles Berlitz.

I have to admit a grudging admiration for Berlitz for taking this mythology and turning into a best-seller. Growing up I’d encountered a few short stories and collections of this type of ‘mystery’, but they had all the credibility of a Paul Bunyan story (American manufactured myth). Berlitz, and Erich Von Daniken who wrote about ancient astronauts managed to turn this garbage into economic success that infected popular culture, and then provided an aftermarket for debunkers. I wish I could have made money so easily.

Updating this thread:

Never ceases to amaze me that folks continue to believe nonsense like this.

Two of the best things about the BT I have ever seen:

A picture of a sailor holding a life preserver from the USS Cyclops, one of the ships that “disappeared without a trace.”

An interview with a Coast Guard Commander in Florida who, when asked his opinion about sailing vessels disappearing, responded “Poor navigation skills and forgetting about the gulf stream.”

Nitpickery is the only way to deal with such a question.

What about Bermuda Shorts? Do they exist?

And Bermuda Onions . . . what about those?

If they’ve leveled up to that height, you have to figure they’re getting at least 5d6 on their Sneak Attack.

Good thing that wasn’t the number 7; that’d be the Bermuda Square. :smiley:

As it is it’s the Bermuda Heart.

Guys, the Op has asked a legit question, one where gallons of ink have been spilled.

The BT does seem to have more than usual “mysterious” disappearances. Mind you, it is pretty easy by stretching facts (and even making a few up) to make something seem more mysterious that it really is.

However, the link** PastTense** has been so kind to supply perhaps explains the why & how.

But no supernatural or otherworldly explanation is needed.

I believe the point has been made that there actually haven’t been “more than usual” - in fact the area is bog-standard normal for mysterious disappearances, and is only unique in that people have given it a spiffy name and gotten all overexcited about it, with copious amounts of exaggeration/outright fantasy for spice.

In 2012 (AD)

I think that the areas is normal for sinkings, etc, not '*mysterious *disappearances". Most of whom, admittedly, have been made to seem more mysterious.

And, after that, REbunkers. :slight_smile:

*"(Australian scientist Karl Kruszelnicki said) when you then compare the number of disappearances to the large quantity of ships and planes passing through the Bermuda Triangle, you find there is nothing out of the ordinary about the area at all.

“According to Lloyd’s of London and the US Coastguard,” he said, “The number that go missing in the Bermuda Triangle is the same as anywhere in the world on a percentage basis.” *

Isnt that what I said?

The number of sinkings & disappearances is normal. The number of mysterious disappearances seems to be higher, but that may be just a product of writers making them *seem *more mysterious.

Let’s take a look at these:

Flight 19 is indeed mysterious. We think we know what happened, but the radio calls have a eerie reading. Really, read them and not think Rod Serling could narrate the introduction.

USS Cyclops, (which is hardly a “battleship”) gets sunk, in a war zone, is overloaded, has a cracked cylinder make half the engines out, and is last seen near a huge storm. That class had a well known structural defect, which sank two of her sister ships. Ok,* slightly *mysterious, but only because nothing was found.

Sylvia L. Ossa: debris was found, and I think the wreck.

Star Tiger- took off in heavy weather. Heading towards Bermuda but not in the triangle.

SS Marine Sulphur Queen: unseaworthy hulk carrying dangerous cargo, debris was found, no mystery at all.

The answer can be found here, starting 1:41 in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaD5mAC3P2s

Rather than just link to a Youtube, it is polite to tell us what it is, and what you think of it, and maybe a summary.

Here’s a good article

Essentially, they believe that, when three far away storm systems (from the south, the north and the east) push up waves from each direction, they can converge and form large rogue waves. The study showed that such waves could overwhelm any vessel and sink it quickly with little warning or time to react. Since they are unpredictable, the weather could be clear and it would “seem” paranormal forces are at work when it’s just the pesky laws of physics…