Bermuda Triangle

Whoops, Past Tense already answered…nm…

Someone did, because they were so edible.

(QI - How The Giant Tortoise Got Its Name)

Geez, this was even debunked on Beekman’s World. That’s gotta be a low point for any alleged ‘mysterious phenomenon’.

The difficulty in proving the triangle is that it’s not (quite) a triangle. The effect is really more a result of a triforce shaped effect.

In the hole, there is negative chi (or qi). But the hole is surrounded on three sides by very positive chi.

As you might note, the total area of positive energy is three times that of the negative, so statistically almost all flights through the area are going to have a net bonus to their life energy. And even in cases where the total net is negative, it’s still a minor negative - equivalent to something like being a smoker.

You have to come in and leave at a corner, really, to ensure a complete fatality. But, of course, those points of entry are asymptotically small, while even the human body is of indefinitely greater size, and you have to perfectly pass through two, so…hence the difficulty of proof.

I was flying through once and tried to explain this to someone, and I think I hit the corners perfectly because I remember just as I was about to pull the whole thing together, I lost the point. So sad.

The most mysterious event in the area seems to have been a plane crash. Now THAT’S some rogue wave! :slight_smile:

Yeah, I don’t like to celebrate the frauds who started this but they have spawned an industry that includes the fight against the ignorance they promoted. In some way the world is better off when bullshit is dumped in the light of day. It is unrealistic to expect there we will never smell any crap so we benefit from having our own implements ready to shovel it right back to the source.

Well, the krakens come up, the ships go down…

Deep in the heart of Bermuda.

All plane crashes and ship sinkings are mysterious. Planes and ships aren’t supposed to do that, and the vast majority of the time, they don’t. Every single time one does, it was because of something that wasn’t expected to happen.

Now, usually, folks can still figure out after the fact what happened. But not always, and that’s hardly a surprise, either. That can especially happen when no debris is recovered, which can quite easily happen when a crash is in the middle of the ocean

Ummm, no, this is not true. Unexpected doesn’t equal mysterious. If the cause is clear then there’s no mystery involved at all.

And in fact planes and ships ARE expected to crash and sink, just not frequently. Not that it’s a goal, but everyone knows that the chance exists.

(If a shipbuilder said “Safety is our #1 priority”, you’d know right away that they were lying - because the safest thing would be to not build ships in the first place.)

I don’t know, Beakman’s World was frickin’ awesome. I also admire Bill Nye, but remember Bill Nye the Science Guy was launched a year after Beakman’s World on a rival network to compete with its success. Paul Zaloom still does performances as Beakman around the globe to this day.

I get your point that if children are being taught that some phenomenon is really just a bunch of hooey, then it’s assumed that adults should already be clued in. Yes, I typed that with a straight face - why do you ask? :slight_smile:

Elvis needs Boats, man.

Elvis needs boats.

Yup. My favorite (and frankly only one I have seen) is his duo with Captain Disillusion on YouTube debunking magnetic Free Energy motors:

Thanks so much for sharing that. It was awesome and a great tribute the look and feel of the old show.