Bernadette Peters' husband was killed yesterday!

Incredibly, my first thought upon hearing that Bernadette Peters had been suddenly widowed was NOT to imagine doing her. It was sympathy.
[jerry seinfeld]
“But you see, I’m not like you, Kramer. I have a soul.”
[/jerry seinfeld]

How much crying are people suppose to do over someone they really have no connection to? That’s what gets me about these celebrity death threads. In an abstract way I can feel empathize with Mrs. Peters about as well as I can empathize with any other human being. It doesn’t mean I’m going to get all broken up about it and cease to make any jokes.

Marc

Please not that I was not saying that anyone needed to especially “broken up.” I simply meant that suggesting that Bernadette Peters’ bereveament making her date-able seems rather soulless and cruel.

While it’s certainly not something I’d say to her or anybody close to her I don’t mind making a morbid joke or two otherwise.

Marc

How many people on the planet died traumatic deaths on September 26th, 2005 ? I’d bet more than 1, 000. Apparently none of greater significance than this man.

Since I didn’t know him at all, I feel no worse for him and his widow than I do for all the other people who suddenly and violently lost a spouse on that day.

Or… is his life somehow worth more than that of all the other souls on the planet who died a violent and sudden death that day? I bet- I just bet- that an awful lot of the surviving spouses who are currently numb with the shock and grief have not won a few Tony awards.

I must be missing some connection here between the Tony Awards and the value of a human life. From where I was raised and what I see of the value of a human life, it matters nothing A) who you were married to, and B) what awards you or your spouse won during their corporeal life.

( and, lest I be called on bullshit, I’ve written fondly and in sadness over the deaths of both Jerry Orbach and Peter Jennings. I worked with them both. )

:dubious:

Cartooniverse

Oh Christ will you people just shut the fuck up? What the fuck is the matter with you? We’re posting on a goddam message board; nobody’s “broken up” or crying uncontrollably over it. What the hell point are you trying to make by saying “Well I don’t give a shit and the people who do are assholes”?

Don’t click on the fucking link then, shitheads. I’d take your asses to the Pit if I thought it’d do any good, but apparently your goal in life is to kick people while they’re down just because they’re not conforming to your sense of what is right and wrong.

Mods, how bout we close this thread since obviously it’s being taken over by people who are acting way too young for their ages.

Thanks for that post DoWahDiddy. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Having seen Bernadette in several shows, having spoken to her at the stage door several times, and having seen her and Michael on the streets of New York, I do feel a connection to her. Often Dopers start threads about people in their lives dying, and nobody kicks them (Well, I didn’t know your husband/wife/mother/best friend). How is this any different?

::: Moderator pounds gavel for attention :::

Look, celebrities are celebrities because they’re famous. Cafe Society is for discussion of arts and entertainment, and that includes the artists and celebrities who create the art and entertainment. And it includes their personal lives.

It is reasonable to be saddened by the death of a celebrity or someone dear to a celebrity, especially when that celebrity has provided a great deal of art/entertainment/enjoyment. Furthermore, I remind you:

It is unreasonable for people to come here a say, “What the fuck, hundreds of people died.” Trunk and Cartoonverse, you are out of order. Yes, hundreds of people died that day, and it is legitimate for any one of them to be mourned on this board – regardless of whether there was a direct personal connection. Did you go to one of the threads about New Orleans and say, “What the fuck, hundreds of people drown every year?” Grow up.

Cartoonverse, you’ve got one toe across the line: you may choose to mourn and regret the death of this person and not that person, and that’s your perogative. No one berates you for lamenting any death, nor should you berate anyone for lamenting some other death. The “value of a human life” is not the issue: the issue is whether the life or death touched you in some way, however indirect. And “was a close relative of someone who entertained me” is certainly not inappropriate.

DooWahDiddy, I endorse you comments but not the way you expressed them. Calling other posters “shitheads” is insulting and inappropriate.

I’m leaving this thread open in the hopes that reasonably mature folks can post in a reasonably mature way.

Agreed. My apologies. I read post after post of people being disrespectful, and the last one sent me over the edge. I still stand by what I said, but how I said it was a result of being caught up in the moment. I’m sorry.

True enough, I surely wouldn’t go into ANY of the Hurricane threads and say such a thing.

My apologies to those I offended with that post up there. Nobody gets to say who should or shouldn’t mourn.

Cartooniverse

Now, THIS is ironic. And very very sad.

Looks like Bernadette has gone crrrrazy with the collagen.

That’s too bad about her husband though.

Annie, your comment is inappropriate. Cartoonverse made some unfeeling comments earlier in this thread, was called on it (by this Moderator, among others), and repented and apologized. We are all of us fallable human beings, who can err and repent and come to deeper understanding.

That does not give you the license to be unfeeling back at him at a time of his personal grief. You’re out of line.

Bernadette was born in February of '48. That makes her 57 years old. She looks like a very hot 42 year old. I’m sure she has had some cosmetic surgery, but it’s not obvious in photos. She’s a close friend of Mary Tyler Moore, who was born in 1936 (and was absolutely stunning 1960 thru early 80’s). I don’t have to say anything about MTM’s cosmetic surgery, right? I’m assuming they don’t use the same surgeon.

And I am sorry to hear about her Husband’s death. Losing a spouse is something I would not wish on anyone.