Bernie Sanders' lapel pin

It has become almost mandatory for US politicians to wear a flag pin their lapel, so no one can question their patriotism, no doubt. Not Bernie Sanders. His pin, like his politics, is different. Anyone know what it is? He’s never without it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bernie+sanders&lr=&newwindow=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiayZCy-aXKAhUBz2MKHZtxCKUQ_AUICigD&biw=1207&bih=678

This says it identifies him as a U.S. Senator.

Personally, I think it would be fun to freak the shit out of people by wearing a hammer and sickle pin.

He should wear an Obama pin at the next debate.

The Duchy of Grand Fenwick. See how many put foot to mouth before they catch on.

Kudos to Bernie. Not wearing the stupid flag pin seems somehow noble and I’ve been trying to put my finger on just exactly why. I think it’s this:

The flag-pin motif was a useful symbol of national solidarity after 9/11 but now it’s become hackneyed. It seems to me so meaningless that it’s become idiotic. What does it mean? “I am an American?” No, really? I thought you were a visitor from Kazakhstan who just decided to run for Congress while you were here.

Or does it mean “I am a patriot who loves his country, and this proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt”? Considering the maliciously self-serving destructive lying assholes who all wear the identical flag pin, and who are the first to throw their country and the well-being of its citizens under a bus for personal gain, I don’t think it proves that at all. Anyone can wear a flag pin. Bernie seems to be trying to distance himself from that kind of hackneyed hypocrisy.

Cool.

It’s really helpful at those intentional meetings like NATO or the G8, G10, G whatever - it saves so much time not having to ask which country one guy is from.

It is a safe bet that a United States Senator is from the United States. :slight_smile:

Of course when State Senator Obama campaigned for President he wasn’t a patriot since he was, then he wasn’t wearing a lapel pin while black.
http://content.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1779544,00.html

What’s the big deal? It’s just a pin. Pay no attention. You don’t even have to look at it. Don’t look at it. No, really, don’t–

Heh-heh-heh.

Welcome to the Movement, Comrade. Now go home and await instructions from your Commissar.

You mind telling that to Ted Cruz?

Nah, we aren’t on speaking terms.

That would be real fun to watch. Unfortunately, not enough people appreciate your and my sense of humor. :smiley:

During the 2008 election, Peter Beinart wrote a very thoughtful essay for Time Magazine about the different views that conservatives and liberals have of patriotism, and why patriotic symbols are so important to conservatives. While I still take the liberal view that it’s actions, and not symbols that are important, the essay helped me to understand the conservative viewpoint a little bit better.

Thanks for posting that. That is a good essay.

I assume Sanders is doing it to send a message. Unlike all the other candidates for the Presidency of the United States, he doesn’t want to associate himself with the symbol of that country.

Good for him. It saves a lot of explanations on his part.

Regards,
Shodan

See post #11.

It says that he’s not content with glorifying the mere symbols of the country; he wants to glorify the country itself.

He may want that but not wearing a pin doesn’t say that. I don’t wear a pin and I don’t give a crap about glorifying anything.